“Visiting with teens” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Kingston, New Hampshire
“Visiting with teens”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

We arrived on June 30, for 3 nights - To visit Cedar Point. We chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews.
We arrived after a 12 hour car ride from NH. I was hoping check in would be a breeze, as I booked on-line, and it was. Be aware, your room keys will probably demagnetize.
I booked a Kid Cabin, so everyone could have their own bed.
The beds are comfortable, but the pillows are hard. We had 6 in the room, all uncomfortable. The room was clean, and the vanity area is outside of the bathroom which is a necessity with teenage girls. I brought Clorox wipes, and did need to clean the ice bucket and microwave, most handles needed to be wiped too, but as this is a family resort, that wasn't a big surprise. The shower pressure is great, but the shower curtain was too short, so the floor kept getting wet. Our room was on the 3rd floor and we had a view of the outdoor pool.
Also, some reviews mentioned rooms at 300.00 a night. I booked thru July 3 and it was 169.00 per night.
It was basically quiet - except for upstairs neighbors.
The air conditioner is another story - it is very loud, and if you are the lucky person who sleeps right next to it, it blows directly on you - even a blanket doesn't help - as for the blanket - it had stains on it, and I requested a new one. They gave me a brand new one right away. The other problem is the quarry nearby. It really does smell like septic when the wind blows. Leaving the balcony door open, was not an option.
I read alot of complaints about the restaurant, the wait, portion size and prices.
We did eat in the restaurant, we were seated right away, the portions were big and the prices reasonable. If you read your hotel services book it tells you right in there, eating during the dinner rush, may mean you wait. We ate at 7pm- unfortunately that is not always an option with little ones.
We did not use the waterpark, but did check it out - It was clean and not that crowded, and everyone looked as though they were having a good time. The arcade, even though it is small, did have
a few games and air hockey.
We did the family style breakfast, and found the food better than the Cracker Barrell down the road. If you want to eat out, that is not a problem, there are plenty of places nearby. Cedar point is only a few minutes away too.
I would say this hotel is probably better suited for families with younger children, but there is the arcade, fitness room and outdoor pool for the older ones, also there is plenty of mini-golf, go carts, movies, malls etc. for the older ones, all within minutes.

• Liked — Size of the room
  • Disliked — Airconditioner
1 Thank TraciNewHampshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Rochester, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

Wanted a nice indoor waterpark for our kids. Great clean room with plenty of space ( kid cabin suite for 5 ). Room service pizza was fast, delicious and nice delivery woman. We stayed on floor 3 and it was quiet. Plenty of lifeguards and employees. Didn't eat at restaurant but saw the menu and it looked good and was extensive. Waterpark was clean but more geared for 6 to 10 year olds. My daughters, 12 and 15 still had a good time and my 10 yr.old son couldn't stay away from water basketball. Only small complaint which can't be helped is the morning smell outside from the quarry nearby. It's a sulfur smell and it hung around for a few hours. This was 4th of July weekend and even though the hotel was full, it didn't seems congested at all. Great time!

• Liked — Clean hotel and great customer service
  • Disliked — Sulfur odor outside from quarry
New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed there this past weekend and had such a great time! The room was fabulous, everything was very rustic and made out of wood. The balacony was HUGE. The waterpark was the best feature. Only the residents of the hotel are allowed in and we did not wait in line for any of the waterslides.

We are looking to go back again and would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes water parks, but doesn't like the lines.

• Liked — The indoor waterpark
  • Disliked — that we couldn't stay longer
Bristol, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed 3 nights - 2 of which were "full house" - guessing that means completely booked. The holel portion of the resort was top notch for a 3 star facility. Rooms were clean, staff was polite and helpful, housekeeping was obviously there, but we saw VERY little of them considering we were halfway down the hall and did not leave the premises very much. We were not able to get our room assignments when we checked in, but they were most eager to make sure we were able to use any of the other facilities including the waterpark.

We were in the Family Suite good amount of space to spread out even for 5 of us. The biggest surprise was the tiny bathroom. Not much room for an adult to help a child without leaving the door open. If you would take the tub out I've seen public restroom stalls bigger than this little room.

I was disappointed with the quality of life guards. It seemed they were more interested in conversing across the pools than watching the pre-school / early elementary body slide pools especially. This was our 3rd waterpark, and definately the most unattentive lifeguards. Even though he could touch the bottom and was in a life vest I did not feel comfortable taking my eyes off my 4 yr old at all, and asked the 10 yr old an 8 yr old to check in often to make sure they were ok. Even with the hotel at capacity there was minimal wait for whatever the kids wanted to do, including meals at the hotel eateries.

• Liked — Polite hotel staff
  • Disliked — tiny bathroom - several piles of wet hair / hair nets on waterpark floor
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JustPamperMePlease
New Berlin, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2008

Where to begin......
Let me start by saying I live in Wisconsin. I visit Wisconsin Dells 2-3 times a year, so I am familiar with water park style hotels.

1. Check in was very smooth and the employee was very nice. The check in was longer then it needed to be because I kept being offered things to buy EXTRA. Discount cards, snack cards, tshirts, etc.
2. Reserved largest room, because we brought GrandMa and she likes her own space. I would not have exceed 5 people in the room.
3. Room was dirty and smelled stale. I always bring Lysol, so that helped. Carpet was dirty, microwave was dirty, tables had drink rings, bathroom floors had hairs.
4. Stayed 5 nights. First day got back to room at 4pm after leaving at 10am. Room was not clean yet. Called desk, someone came up.
5. Requested clean sheets second day. No clean sheets. Called desk, they came and changed them. Always missing things, always had to call. No new towels, no coffee, no toilet paper, no bath towel, no plastic cups. Very, very annoying.
6. Water park 90+ degrees. You could barely breath.
7. One towel per person only and they meant it. I was stopped for grabbing two towels. I had to return with my son to prove I was not trying to use two. Come on!
8. At $300 a night, they need to do much better. I cannot believe they were ranked #1.

• Liked — On main street.
  • Disliked — Dirty and stale smell.
1 Thank ChiquitaJ
Toledo, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

This is the second time we've visited Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. I do agree with some of the other travelers though that there does seem to be quite a bit of noise both from the hallways & other rooms. Didn't like the hallway noise late at night. Beds are definitely not comfortable. But slides & waterpark itself is alot of fun. The outdoor pool is very nice with plenty of supervision, but not alot for kids to do out there other than basketball.

• Liked — Great location / nice rooms
  • Disliked — Noise levels & uncomfortable beds
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Westerville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

We just returned from the Great Wolf Lodge this evening and I wanted to write a quick review while it was fresh in my memory. We made an impromtu decision to take our two children (6 and 2) and my sister up for a mini vacation and trip to Cedar point for a few nights. I attempted to book the kid cabin waterpark level room via the internet but it would not go through. I called the hotel directly and they receptionist beat the internet price and gave me an additional $20 off per night bringing the room charge to $234. I didn't ask for the discount and was pleasantly surprised. We arrived at the park at 2pm and were able to check right in. Our room was #162 and it is a great location. We were right next to the arcade, waterpark, laundry room and the elevators. Literally everything was only a few steps away and the room managed to stay very quiet at all times of the day. The kid cabin set up is great. My sister slept in the twin bed and the kids slept in the bunkbeds. There is a desk with a tv and nintendo in the room. The refrigerator and microwave are right outside their room. There is no door on that room but you have enough privacy.

At first glance the waterpark seemed a bit small but that is through my adult eyes. If you have small children it really is the perfect size. I felt safe having my 6 year old wander around and play in different water zones while I was in the kiddie area with my two yr old. If the park were bigger I wouldn't have been able to do this. The towels are complimentary when you first walk in and must be returned prior to leaving the park. The lifeguards are plenitful and all seemed to take their jobs seriously. The resort has a charge card that you can carry around and make all the charges directly to your room. It's nice to not have to worry about keeping money with you in the park.

The restaurants surprised me. I had read some unappetizing reviews that stated the food was mediocre and expensive. This was not the case for us. The food came in enormous portions and was inexpensive. Beer was only $3 and a huge mixed drink was $5.95. Dinner for 5 people was only $62 and no one could finish their meals. There is a food court tucked in the back of the waterpark also.

There are numerous restaurants and stores along Rt 250. Meijer shares the parking lot and is open 24 hrs in case you run out of something.

We were having a good time and decided to see if we could add on an extra night. The front desk gave us the room for only $99 for the next night.
In closing, the hotel was very clean, the employees were all very friendly and I would recommend a short stay.

1 Thank slhb