“Great stay with a few small problems”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Toledo, Oh
“Great stay with a few small problems”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our grandkids absolutely loved the kids cabin suite (ages 9 and 14). That was worth the trip alone. The room even got ready a little early for us, which was nice. I was surprised on how clean the bathroom was. The rest of the room was well maintained also. The waterpark was great, not too crowded the two days it was used. It is smaller than Kalahari, but my grandson said he liked it better. Would be great if they could add a wave pool. Everything very expensive. The kids enjoyed the Magi Qvest where you buy the game and wand, however, it they don't want to take time to really work on the quest, I would just buy the want if that is possible. The days we were there it seemed like they weren't prepared for all the people. We had to wait quite a while for everything. Waited at the stuff a animal and no one never did show. We ordered a pizza to be delivered, but eventually had to go pick up. Wasn't very good at all, although we ate breakfast and dinner at the two restaurant on lobbly level and they were very good. I'm sure we will return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Ohio
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family, 2 adults and 2 kids plus a friend, went to Great Wolf Lodge March 24 and 25th. We have been to Kalahari several times. I really feel Kalahari is superior but it cost over $100 more and heard Great Wolf was great for my 4 year old. I invited a friend for my 10 yr old and that was smart. (They gave me an extra armband free of charge). Checked in around 2 and it was chaotic with a very long line. Luckily I packed an extra bag with swimwear for everyone. I used a "subway Kids meal bag" to pack flipflops, suit and coverup for all 5 of us. In the dressing room I just handed out the cute bags and they put their outfits in them. (Only 3 dressing rooms with one handicapped.) Later it was great for wet suits the day we had to leave. I also packed juice and water and a few snacks to take to the waterpark. They did not enforce the rule of not bringing in outside food, like Kalahari. We were not obnoxious with it and did not leave a mess. Many families brought PBJ sandwiches and veg, fruit also. I wish I would have brought more.
The Gitchie Goomie grill was not too expensive compared to Panera Bread, Fridays etc. The kids meals were$4.99 with drink and the portions were plenty enough. The breakfast was around $8 each less for kids and served family style, big plates of French toast sticks , bacon, sausage, eggs, and hash browns plus the bar.
There were only 2 big slides, 4 medium slide and 3 little kids slides but my kids enjoyed the park. They loved the hot tub. There was one for adults also. It was nice and warm in the whole park. Not enough chairs and tables. Can't stress enough how important to stake out a place to sit your things early when it opens.
The room was nice. Very small bathroom but we had a patio that would've been fantastic in the summer as it led to outdoor pool. Ordered a movie to watch. Very nice as it would've cost a lot more at the theater. The sleeper sofa mattress was horrible even for ten yr olds. Pulled the mattress cover and comforter off one of the beds to pad up the mattress. Then remade the beds. Worked like a charm. The 2 Queen beds were comfortable. The coffee was decent in the rooms. I called for extra shampoo and body wash and since there wasn't any conditioner, asked for that also. They quickly delivered.
The bedtime story was a bust for us as we got there right at 8:00 and there was no room to sit or see. It also was all automated puppets. Good for 4 yr old not for the 10 yr olds. Thought the older girls would like Magic Quest. Plunked down $70 for three basic wands and 3 games. After the thrill of using the wand was gone, they were not interested in finishing their quests. The 4 yr old could not understand the game at all. We had to push and cajole them into finishing. Would be good for Harry Potter fans but otherwise I felt it was a waste. Glad we didn't do the pedi/mani as I ducked in there briefly to see what it was about. No one was there. They suggested we do it after all swimming is done since it tends to chip and peel. We packed supplies to do our own in our room and the girls had fun making their own designs with good polish that didn't chip!
Got a discount through my works perks, Best Benefits Club. Received 20% off. AAA offers 10%.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Took my 9 yr old and 2 yr old along with our 10 yr old neighbor for their spring break. The room was awesome- we got a family fireplace suite. More than enough room for the 5 of us. The kids were never board as there are plenty of "out of water" things to do. I even cracked down and bought the girls the wands to complete the Magic Quest games. I highly recommend getting the breakfast and dinner packages to save on money. Aside from souviners and ice cream I didn't have to pay for anything extra. The only downfall was we arrived at 3:00pm and the room was not ready until 4:15pm. But we got dinner while we waited so it all worked out. We look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed March 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed 1 night in the loft room with 4 adults and a 5-year-old. The room was large enough for all of us and it was clean. Chairs and the dining table were worn out and should be replaced. The fireplace did not work correctly. We had to call maintenance to get it started each time. Plus side-the maintenance guy was friendly and he came quickly. Management took $40 off the bill for the inconvenience, which was appreciated. We had an overpriced snack/lunch at the Gitchigoomie Grill; food was so-so, service was pleasant enough but really slow. For dinner we had pizza from Hungry as a Wolf, which was surprisingly good. The waterpark itself seemed fine. The slides were fun, and the 5-year-old had a blast, which is why we went in the first place! I would suggest not arriving to use the waterpark before check in. It was terribly busy and chaotic and a locker costs $5. The park was much more pleasant early in the morning before the crowds set in.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Kids got bored quick.(16, 10 & 8) food was super high...if you want a pizza, hit the road 5min away & pick up a hot Sams Club Pizza & hot dogs for the family. We waited awhile to come & were disappointed. The water park was SO crowded that if I had small kids I would have been nervous. I feel like I'm missing something reading the other reviews.

• Stayed March 2013
Akron
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I am giving this rating simply based on pricing. I realize hotels raise their prices for spring break, but the same room goes from $159 to $339 one week apart?? That seems excessive to me. I have been to the Great Wolf Lodge a few times before and I liked it, but no way would I pay the price-gouging spring break prices.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S C
Forest, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed one night / two days with our 4 children aged 4 to 11. Everyone had a fun time in the water park. There was something for everyone, from the high double tube slides, to the little kiddie slides. Also, the family hot tub and the pool were very nice. The lifeguards / attendants were wonderful -- very friendly, alert and professional. The pool area and restrooms are kept very clean.
We had dinner at the Grill, and were surprised at the reasonable prices. The food was excellent, and portions were generous. We had breakfast at Lumber Jack Shanty -- I wish I had been able to eat more! There was an excellent variety of food, from fuit, bagels, etc. to eggs, sausage, bacon, potatos. The french toast strips were very good. For lunch we ordered a large pizza from Hungry as a wolf. It tasted good, and was more than enough to feed all of us.
We stayed in one of the 'cheap' rooms on the first floor. It was clean and comfortable. Nothing special about it, but we were not there to enjoy the hotel room.
We probably would have gotten bored if we stayed longer than two days, but we would definitly like to return.

Room Tip: Order breakfast online when booking, to get breakfast discount.