“Great place to stay for Cedar Point experience”

Hampton Inn Sandusky-Central
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife organized a weekend trip to Cedar Point over Halloweekends just before our anniversary trip to Mexico, and this is the hotel that she found for us to stay in after a day on the roller coast. It can be a bit dicy when it comes to Sandusky hotels, but this one is above reproach. Great value. Clean. Great staff. Good breakfast. Secure.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This hotel was fantastic!! The front desk staff was helpful and welcoming. There was a lady single handedly running the breakfast, keeping everything well stocked and as well as helping people to make waffles. At night games were set up in the lobby with fresh popcorn. There were even to go bags with breakfast for those who did not have time to sit down. The cleanliness of the entire property was impeccable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Fitness center too small and too close to the pool. Service is good. Room is OK, carpet a little dated, Security is good. Staff is friendly. Free coffee is always a bonus. Location is close to shopping and resturants.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marko S
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed 1 night for halloweekends at Cedar Point. We played at the park all day, and checked in around 10pm. I had called ahead to let them know we'd do a late check-in and Brian was very friendly on the phone. When we arrived, he was again very courteous and gave us all the info we needed. I asked about late night pizza places, and he told us Papa John's would be the best bet, and they deliver straight to the room.

The whirlpool is open until 1am which is awesome. We were just too tired to use it.

The hotel looked clean inside and out, and was well lit. We did the cursory check for bed bugs, and found no evidence of them or any other bugs.

We stayed in a room with two doubles, and the beds were that size. I know some people have complained that the doubles were the size of twins, but they weren't. They were definitely double beds. I'm not sure they were the best beds in the world, but I slept soundly, and woke up without any soreness any where. There is also a sign in the elevator listing all the upgrades they are in the process of making between now and 2014, and they are upgrading to queen beds instead of doubles, so that's something to look forward to.

Some people have also complained that the duvets were lumpy, which is true, but since I don't sleep ON the duvet, who cares? I was warm all night. However, if you're super prissy and high maintenance to the point where if everything is not absolutely perfect, this place is not for you. If you're a normal person who is happy with clean facilities, and comfy beds, it's worth the few extra minutes travel time from Cedar Point.

The thermostat is digital and adjusts by 2 degree increments. It was very quiet, and did not keep me awake. It also heated up the room quickly.

The hot breakfast was great. They had fresh fruit (including pineapple), yogurt, western omelets, home fries, bagels, english muffins, wheat bread, pastries, muffins, oatmeal with several types of toppings, apple juice, orange juice, 3 types of coffee, lots of different hot teas, water, waffles, individual cereals and hard boiled eggs. If you can't find something to eat in that you're too difficult.

I'm very sensitive to the smell of smoke, and didn't smell it anywhere on the property.

Also, they have great vending machines with lots of variety in both snacks and drinks. The vending machines also have toothbrushes and otc medications.

The furniture does have a somewhat worn look to it (at least in our room), but that's being upgraded too.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and two rooms away from the elevator. I never noticed elevator noise like I have in some hotels.

We only spent 13 hours in the hotel but the whole time was pleasant, and I'll definitely come back if we do this trip again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms by the elevator are still quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Redkree
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We enjoyed our recent stay at the Hampton Inn. The complimentary cookie was delicious. The popcorn snack in the afternoon was tasty. We stayed at the hotel while visiting Cedar Point. It is close to the park, without the traffic and price of "Cedar Point" hotels. The location is great, since there are a lot of restaurants nearby. The staff was really nice. Also, the hotel feels new and clean. We will likely return in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The hotel was beautiful, the staff was great....my hotel stay was less than pleasant, due to the people staying in the hotel rooms right next to us. Children out of control..smoke free rooms that smelled like smoke from the other people...and nothing was done with the disruptive people.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
gavin l, General Manager at Hampton Inn Sandusky-Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. Although I was glad to read from your review that you found our hotel to be beautiful and our staff pleasant and friendly, I understand that we fell short in some areas. Our property and brand goal is to exceed our guests’ expectations--and I am disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations for your stay with us. In your review, you bring up some great points that we are currently looking into. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. I do hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Gavin

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had problems with insects (Fruit Flies and ants). Hotel offered to remove a night’s stay of the bill; I would have rather had the equivalent of night stay in points. I had two nights of my four nights with insects. I would like to say the front desk personnel were nice, courteous and tried to accommodate me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
gavin l, General Manager at Hampton Inn Sandusky-Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you so much for your recent review. I am so sorry that you found some fruit flies during your stay with us. I can assure you that our main concern is for the health and safety of all our guests and I thank you very much for bringing this issue to my attention so that I can follow-up with our pest control provider. We will do everything we can to make sure we take the necessary precautions so that none of our guests have to deal with this inconvenient issue. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and I can assure you that your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise.

Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you travels bring you back to our area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Sleep Inn
#5 of 34 in Sandusky
Fairfield Inn & Suites Sandusky
Hampton Inn & Suites Sandusky / Milan

Been to Hampton Inn Sandusky-Central? Share your experiences!