“Not impressed”

Ranked #13 of 188 Restaurants in Sandusky
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Delight in the finest steaks and freshest seafood served. All of our meals are cooked over mesquite wood to add flavor that is unsurpassed, and our attention to every guest in our diningroom is renowned. Fall Hours: Friday 4:00 - 9:30 Saturday 4:00 - 9:30 Available Monday - Thursday for private parties by reservation.
Reviewed December 29, 2010

This was one of the worst dining experiences we have ever had. We have a group of six that go out to dinner a lot. Someone suggested we try this because they heard good things about it. Well, what a BIG disappointment. We couldn't find one thing about this restaurant we liked. Don't waste your time or money.

2  Thank jlw07

Reviewed December 21, 2010

It truly saddens me to write this about a local restaurant as I typically love smaller, chef-owned restaurants and tend to avoid chain restaurants.

I have been to this restaurant twice now. I have not been impressed either time. The first time I went with a group of 4 we waited 10 minutes to be seated (there were 4 other tables occupied in the whole place), waited 15 minutes for drinks. After 45 minutes and we still had not ordered we paid for our drinks and left.

I read so many good reviews about the food that I had to go back.

The second time was better, but our bill was almost $150 for 2 glasses of wine, 1 appetizer and 2 dinners. At these prices I expect almost perfection, and luckily service mas much quicker! I had filet oscar, which was a filet that was perfectly cooked and melt in your mouth tender, although it wasonly about 1/4 inch thick. The steak was topped by an oversized, heavy crabcake which was way to doughy, and a hollandaise sauce that was the consistency of pudding. Crabcakes are one of my favorites, I order them just about everywhere I go. This was the only crabcake I have ever left uneaten.

I may try this place again mostly because I love local food prepared by local chefs, it will probably be a while though.

1  Thank wineofoodjunkie
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We were visiting the area and found this restaurant on-line. The reviews seemed to be great. Plugged the address in our GPS and off we went. The outside appearance is less than desirable and had we not read the reviews we probably wouldn't have ventured inside. The front door was a bit difficult to find. However, once inside we found a very quaint and warm dining room. The owner/chef greeted us, waited on us and prepared our meals. He also spent some time chatting with us. Our meals, petite filet with fresh crab cake and asparagus and fresh alaskan salmon was absolutely scrumptious! The salads are wonderful too! Opt for the celery dressing and you'll get a surprise!

1  Thank 0Liberty
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I found this delightful small restaurant through TripAdvisor while planning a trip through Ohio. I couldn't have been more impressed! The appetizer scallops were the biggest I've ever seen, and absolutely delicious. The Angus steak on the dinner salad melted in my mouth, and was beautifully seasoned. Great wine (and beer) list, friendly and accommodating service. I would recommend this place to anyone!

PS The menu has a great story about a previous satisfied diner -- Al Capone!

1  Thank DAS_3
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We had come in late after flying all the way from Hawaii to Detroit and then driving down to Sandusky. We were all tired and hungry but perked up when the food came! I always worry with my kids when I see white table cloths but we were treated very well. The owner/chef, Jamie, came out several times and chatted with us. He even gave the kids special cupcakes he had made that day with his own daughter.
I couldn't believe how my 7 year old polished off a half rack of ribs. All three kids agreed that they were the best they had ever eaten. I had the crab cakes and french onion soup which I thought were wonderful. My husband had a steak which he thoroughly enjoyed. He prides himself on his steaks but admitted that Jamie's were even better. The meat was so fresh and the spices just right. He finished off part of the ribs as well and loved the BBQ sauce so much that he bought a bottle to bring home. The house salad dressing was a hit too!
It is not a cheap place to eat but you really get what you pay for! We wanted to go back the next night but the kids fell asleep early after a full day at Cedar Point.

1  Thank Williamsohana

Been to Red Gables Mesquite Grill? Share your experiences!