“Well kept secret”

Ranked #13 of 192 Restaurants in Sandusky
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Delight in the finest steaks and freshest seafood served. All of our meals are cooked over mesquite wood to add flavor that is unsurpassed, and our attention to every guest in our diningroom is renowned. Fall Hours: Friday 4:00 - 9:30 Saturday 4:00 - 9:30 Available Monday - Thursday for private parties by reservation.
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I heard about this restaurant from a friend who lives in Sandusky and we thought we'd give it a try. Its out of the way and the restaurant is not marked well, but persistence pays off!!! The place was very charming and the staff very knowledgeable and attentive, and we had THE BEST steak we've ever had! All the food was delicious, and super fresh incuding the fresh baked rosemary bread. The owner/chef came out to see how everything was and we mentioned we were there celebrating our anniversary and they gave us dessert on them. We were too full to eat it there but when we got home it was the perfect way to end the meal with. Delightful homemade strawberry cream cake. Worth the trip foe sure!!!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My husband and I happened apon The Red Gables by chance one year while vacationing in Sandusky. The food was literally off the charts in freshness and taste. This year we made our way back to Sandusky, Ohio.
Our hotel was farther away from The Red Gables then idea. My husband said it was too far, only to surprise the next night. He drove telling me he wanted to show me something, only to take me back to this extraordinary and unique restaurant. I was delighted once again. I tell everyone, if you're in northern Ohio, go to The Red Gables. It is fine dining in it's truest form.

1  Thank mcclary401
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My GF and I happened upon the restaurant about two years ago while staying at a local lodge. We enjoyed the place so much, that when we spent last weekend about 30 miles from there in Port Clinton we made it a point to go out of our way and drive the 30 miles to stop in again. The steak and seafood are some of the best I've ever had. Nearly everything Is cooked masterfully. The grilled vegetables are amazing. The Chef/Owner seems to go out of his way to offer up a great experience through the atmosphere as well the food. It is a little higher end price wise, but am perfectly ok with splurging every once in a while for a quality product like this. I am certain that we will be coming back Everytime we are in the area.

1  Thank Chuckb888
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Once a year we meet with friends in Sandusky - about half way between our two homes - and are always looking for nice restaurants. This is a lovely little restaurant with wonderfully attentive wait staff and the chef/owner came around twice to our table to make sure that everything was OK. That said, the food was good but not great. I had a buffalo strip steak that was cooked very well but was full of gristle. Others at the table had better luck with their dinners. The menu is interesting but very over priced.

We had a great time but I'm not sure we'll be back. I bet we can get meals just as good at a lower price.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

The food is fair at best but they charge a premium price. The atmosphere is mid 70's and dirty. With the prices they charge they could afford to redo the decor. Would NOT recommend.