“Overbooked, upgraded us to a much nicer hotel nearby”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites South
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We arrived later in the evening than planned. Desk clerk told me they were overbooked (and I was prepaid via another site) and I expected the worse. Clerk told me it was all taken care of, they had transferred my reservation to another nearby hotel that was actually MUCH nicer at no additional cost to me and everything was all set. I was kind of wary that the other hotel would have any inkling of this, but after a short drive we arrived at alternate hotel and everything was easy as could be, key cards waiting.
Cannot comment on the actual Econo Lodge rooms, but can say their service to me was top notch.
I paid a VERY low rate for the Econo Lodge and ended up getting a terrific value.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bomar76
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Inn & Suites South

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I liked how you could just park right outside of your room and not have to enter through the lobby. The staff was very friendly and it was close to Put In Bay Jet Express and Miller Ferry docks along with Cedar Point. Our door peep hole was broken, and our room was around back. We thought it was a little sketchy when we first got there, but we soon realized we had no need to really worry. In the morning the front desk guy was sleeping (We kind of got a kick out of it). Overall the hotel was pretty good for the price paid. Staff was friendly, breakfast was good for being bagels/muffins/donuts. It was in a good location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jessly19922010
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We've stayed here several times - reasonably clean - about 10 minutes from Cedar Point. Double beds only. Locally owned. Breakfast is bagels, packaged pastries (find something else!)...
Would stay here again for price & location. For us it's a Place to shower and sleep for a couple hours & this fits the bill. We make our reservations thru Choice Hotels (they have a promo for the summer - have to stay 2 nights @ Econo Lodge to counts as one "stay")

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Debbie85614
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Sorry if this is too long for you to read, but I am hoping no one wastes their money at this hotel that is more than willing to rip off guests. My daughter and her friend attempted to stay at this hotel. Prepaid for two days, after a very long drive, they arrived after 11:00pm to find a note that told them to ring the bell after hours. They rang the bell, as advised, for 15 minutes with no success, so they went down the street to Super8 to get a room there since they did not get any answer at this hotel, and they were tired. Keep in mind…prepaid, they made it to the hotel and tried to check in. The next day, they called Choice Hotels, who said they would investigate what happened. They decided the manager was the person on duty so it was his call to make them a no-show. She was then told that she rang the bell for "handicapped access", not the bell they wanted her to ring. What!!!??? There was a sign to ring the bell, which she did. A few days later she received two letters in the mail. Both addressed to her, but one said she was considered a no-show so they kept her money for one night. The other was addressed to her but actually for another guest who had an issue with their stay. So I can see how Choice Hotels would have such confidence in this managers judgement…he's obviously not an idiot!!! After receiving the letters she calls Choice Hotels again, they would investigate further. This was their cue to send her a copy of the letter she just called them about. Good investigation!!! My husband decided to call the hotel manager himself, since we do not like to see our daughter who makes minimum wage get her money stolen from her. After my husband began to ask why they would not refund her money, being that she was clearly in town, the manager said she rang the wrong bell and was considered a no-show. When my husband tried to question that judgement the manager hung up on him repeatedly because that's just how professional he is and I guess doesn't feel like he needs to provide any sort of customer service. As you can probably tell by the wonderful reviews this hotel has already received, with no rebuttal from management, they do not care in the least about being #22 of 35 hotels in Sandusky. Just do me a favor and don't stay here so perhaps they will go out of business and stop stealing hard earned money. Thanks for everyone's support!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank ButlerofNC
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This Econo Lodge is hemmed into a small lot between a residential neighborhood, Mexican restaurant and roller skating rink. I was kind of leery about staying here, but the price was right and the room was surprisingly clean. The hotel definitely looks a little bit older from the outside but like we've been told for years “don't judge a book by its cover.” I didn't venture into the pool, but it was nice to know it was there if I needed/wanted it. When I checked out the same guy was there who checked me in (he must live there), but he was pleasant enough and I was quickly back on my way home.

Sortino's

What can I say about this restaurant except “MAGNIFICO.” I loved everything about this out of the way eatery from the old west and Mediterranean blended theme, to the service and to the food especially. They say the fish is so fresh it was swimming yesterday and you can tell. The way they cook the walleye will simply put you in heaven.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chatles r
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I'm not an incredibly picky person, but I would probably not stay here again.

Don't get me wrong, it was clean and they were nice enough....but, the room was just....small and old. The old itself was not the problem....it was just part of it. The bed I slept on was hard and the breakfast was pretty much just bagels, mini muffins and pre-packaged bread and danishes. Not terrible, just not....worth the money. Location was ok...again, not terrible....just not great.

Nothing about this place was BAD. It's just nothing was GREAT either.

Overall, I will just say that I would not stay at this particular place in Sandusky again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa D
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Nothing fancy here. Manager is friendly. Clean. Close to Cedar Point. Very reasonable price for location. I've stayed here before - again nothing fancy - slept well after FULL day of rding roller coasters. Fine for a shower & sleeping.

Stayed: August 2012