“Dan L” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
gahanna
“Dan L”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

run fast run far worst place i have ever seen never stayed to dirty and the smell was bad said would refund never did they lied be careful they are very crooked and i would not ever trust them again be careful ssgt d large

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dan l
rodewayinnsouthsandu, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn South, responded to this review, June 10, 2015
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry for whatever ways we let you down during this visit. Rest assured, however, that in the time since your visit we have made significant changes to the property, including staffing changes. This has resulted in a better guest experience at our hotel than ever before. Please give us another chance to satisfy you in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We showed up there this past Friday night (7/2/13) for our cedar point trip. When we walked in, the room itself (241) didn't send any red flags when we walked in. It was late so we just got to bed. The beds were incredibly unconfortable. Unless sleeping on a board is confortable to you. Throughout the night there was a lot of commotion. People just walking around being loud at all hours. In the morning we got up to take showers and noticed a Tom of black mold all over the shower and bathroom ceiling. With fresh caulking. When we went to complain they explained it was caulked over, which we then explained it came through and that won't clear it up. We asked for a refund they refused, and when we said we would be contacting the health department with our pictures, they just said go ahead and checked us out. Incredibly rude and ignorant and beyond disgusting. In no way worth paying a cent for. Spend the extra 20 and spring for the Quality Inn down the way. We are calling the health department this coming Monday regarding our stay in this disgusting place.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank V-k-Brenn
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I apologize for the maintenance issues you experienced and that our guest service was not up to our usual standard. Since your visit, we’ve improved the property and made staffing changes that have solved these and other issues. If you will give us another chance in the future, you’ll find we’re now providing a better guest experience than ever before.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stay away. There were dead bugs all over the ceiling in the bathroom. The walls were so thin that I could hear the people in the next room snoring. We overstayed the checkout time by a few minutes and they charged a ton to our credit card. The staff was very nice, however. Please, stay at another hotel for your CP or Island trip!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ken B
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry for any ways we failed you. You’ll be pleased to learn that we’ve improved the guest experience and the overall quality of the property in many ways since your stay, and we’ll be here for you in the future if you will give us another chance. We’re now providing a better experience than ever before.

Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

You might as well go somewhere else. The low price of this dump shows its true color in the value. I shared the room with a friend and the first thing I did was to go into the bathroom. My first sight included bugs in the tub along with dirt and dead bugs on the floor and window sill. It looked like it had not been occupied in a while and not much care was given to it. There were cigarette butts in the chairs and had a horrible smell. Good thing there were no bugs or bad stains in the beds. They looked clean, so we stayed.

I wanted to use the free Wi-Fi before bed. What Wi-Fi is there? There is no Wi-Fi! Coupled with the people sitting outside their rooms causing a ruckus along with drinking and yelling at all hours of the night, it was not a great experience.

Remember the unclean bathroom? I demanded a partial refund on the room and the manager refused. I will not come back and neither should anyone stay at this dump.

Room Tip: Go stay somewhere else besides this dump
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MichiganTonyabbott
Dear Guest,

Thanks for commenting. You’ll be pleased to know that every aspect of the hotel has been improved since your stay with us in the past. We’re now providing the best possible guest experience. I apologize for any ways we failed you and hope you will give us another chance to completely satisfy you.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Where do I begin!! Upon arriving in my rooms (225 and 226) on Monday July 1, 2013, there was a strange odor. The room had an old/mildew smell to it. After getting everything unpacked from the cars my daughter found a dirty dipper behind the door of the bathroom (room 225.) Also behind the door was a used (wet) towel hanging on the door. I immediately called down to the front desk and informed them of the situation. The operator apologized and stated that she would be there to clean it up. In the other room (226,) when putting cloths in the drawers, we found an open bag of potato chips. When the attendant came to the rooms she did apologize and gave us a replacement towel.
Tuesday, when we returned to our room for the night, we found that the rooms had not been cleaned. Of the two rooms (4 beds) only one bed had been made. None of the trash was thrown out and only one room had the towels replaced. It was so late that we did not complain we just went to bed.
Wednesday, again we returned to our rooms and found that they had not been cleaned with the exception of one bed being made (It was a different bed from the first day.) This time I called the front desk and informed them of the situation. The attendant said she would bring towels up to me and could have the room cleaned if I wanted. I told her to just bring me the towels.
Thursday morning our room 226 had a surprise for us. Flying ants!! The entire room was full of them. The walls, beds, floor and sink were covered (I have pictures.) I immediately called the front desk and asked for a manager. The front desk attendant informed me that no manager would be in until after 3:00pm. I informed her that I would be down to talk to her momentarily. I went down and spoke with the attendant and she wrote down all of my complaints and stated that she would have the manager call me as soon as he came in. She also stated that the cleaning supervisor would come to our rooms immediately. Two hours later we were checking out and still did not see the cleaning people. I informed the lady at the front desk that they never arrived and just to add it to my list of issues.
At approximately 3:00pm I did receive a call from Blaine, the hotel manager. Blaine apologized for the problems me had and stated that they are not acceptable. Blaine offered me a 20% discount on my rooms. I explained to him that we paid cash on Monday and I would not be able to get back to the hotel until later that evening. Blaine stated that he could not give me cash back. He then offered me a free night stay any time Mon-Thurs. Since I did not have any other option I accepted. He stated that he would put a note in his files for me.
Since it was raining, my family decided that we wanted to stay in Sandusky one more day. We returned to the Rodeway in to see if we could get the free room. Blaine informed me that he could not give me a room due to it being a holiday. I then asked him if he could give me cash back because I would have to find another room. He stated that he could not. I stated that I paid in cash up front so I had nothing I could do. He stated they always take cash up front. He stated just like at Red Lobster you couldn’t eat your food and pay a week later. I shook my head and walked out. I ended up going next door to the Howard Johnson and was able to get a CLEAN room for the night.
I have traveled all over the country and this was the WORST experience I ever had at any hotel/motel. I will not be returning ever again, even to collect on my “Free night.”

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m terribly sorry that you had bad experience with us in the past. I’m pleased to mention, however, that the property has changed and improved in many ways since that time. This includes staffing changes. I hope you will give us another chance in the future to satisfy you. You’ll find the best possible experience and a friendly, welcoming environment.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Made a mistake and booked this motel. When we checked in, found a used wet towel still in the bathroom, empty Pepsi can and other stuff on the floor behind night stand, shower curtain bar and drywall was almost ripped off wall and hanging, bathroom exhaust fan broken and sounded like a lawn mower every time the light was tuned on, large clump of mystery hair and other stuff and stains on bathroom floor, no hair dryer, filthy stained blankets and carpet...etc. Not worth the money paid. One of the worst motels I've ever experienced. Come on Rodeway Inn......put a little more effort in your housekeeping and maintenance for the sake of your "guests". Please.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mlhw2000
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. You’ll be pleased to know that we have made many changes to the hotel since your stay, including new cleaning procedures, improved maintenance and other staffing changes. We’re now providing a better experience than ever before. I apologize for any ways we let you down and invite you to give us another chance very soon.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Magnuson Hotel East Sandusky
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sandusky South
Cedar Point's Express Hotel
La Quinta Inn Sandusky - Cedar Point
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites South
Econo Lodge Cedar Point
Econo Lodge Cedar Point
#13 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Rodeway Inn South? Share your experiences!