“What a fun little surprise!”

Merry-Go-Round Museum
Ranked #5 of 37 things to do in Sandusky
Cleveland, Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“What a fun little surprise!”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stopped here on our way through Sandusky. It's a pleasant, homey little place. Nothing too big or fancy -- don't expect lots of galleries or anything -- but they have a lovely little collection of carousel memorabilia, including a number of beautiful rare horses (and other animals). And the indoor carousel is spectacular and it MOVES! We loved it. The volunteers were so enthusiastic and warm, and went out of their way to tell us everything they could. It was clear that they really enjoy this stuff, and we did, too, because they helped us to love and understand it.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Comtessa52

Aurora, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Under-appreciated gem for families”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

In the winter when all the outdoor fun is closed, this modest little museum was a bright spot in our day. My wife and I soaked up the history and nostalgia of the exhibits, while our kids puzzled at the variety of carousel animals. The metal rubbings were a neat diversion. But of course, the kids most enjoyed picking their favorite animals to ride on the restored carousel smack dab in the middle of everything. Whatever the weather outside, this museum will cheer and warm your soul.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank D_Shipe
New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Years ago”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

It's been awhile since I've been, but as a child I LOVED the Merry-Go-Round Museum. A little magic explained & a little magic kept!

1 Thank Sarams96
Monroe, Michigan
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Very interesting but watch your little ones!”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We came to this museum in all honesty more for me than the kids because I am personally fascinated with this kind of art, but I figured with the merry-go-round and all the colorful displays it would be a nice place for my kids as well. First I should say it's displays are very attractive and informative and not really very expensive at all. Even though the museum itself is rather small in size I could have easily spent an hour there reading all of the information at each exhibit. There were some very old carousel animals that were extremely interesting to see and even a couple that inspired past postage stamps. There was a nice workshop area where you can supposedly watch someone actually carve and create a carousel animal and ask him or her questions. Unfortunately they were not working during my visit, so I do hope to go back and see this. Now onto the thought of bringing the kids. Depending on the age this place would be great. Again the exhibits are beautiful. There are also a few different stations where children can put a peice of paper over a design and use crayons to rub the design. These contained different images of carousel animals and other related designs. The tables they are on are a little high and even with the step in front I had to hold my son up to do one, but he is only 4. This wasn't much trouble though as it was a nice experience for him. The merry-go-round is in the center of the museum and everyone gets a free ride before they leave. It was a very nice carousel with many animals to choose from. The ride was was a good length of time but it went a little fast compared to many other carousels I have ridden. My 20 month old was a little scared on it and she usually likes them. One other thing to note is, as with most museums, this one is definately a "do not touch" atmosphere which was a struggle for my kids. All in all I love this museum, I just think my kids are a little young still. If you have older children that can be patient and learn from the exhibits and don't get over excited and want to "pet" everything, the visit will be fine :) I will definately be back.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank konan09
West Virginia
147 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“You're a kid again--definitely worth a visit!”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

What a wonderful, unique attraction! It's very easy to find and there's plenty of parking. It's in an old post office, a perfect location. The guide was well versed and very eager to share her knowledge. There's a wealth of merry-go-round horses and other animals. If you're like me, when you were a kid you never really paid that much attention (if at all) to the artistry, but now I can really appreciate the hard work. As part of the admission price (very reasonable) you also get a ride on the carrousel. I'm soooo glad I went there! PS--the streets around this museum are named for the presidents, and they go in order. What a great idea! It really helps you to keep track of how much farther you need to go to reach the attraction.

Visited August 2011