“Over priced...but certainly convenient”

Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Over priced...but certainly convenient”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We thought the hotel was very clean. We stayed on the 1st floor, and had no issues. Friendly staff. The kids loved walking the beach. Hot tub and pool were nice. Life guard on duty. Walking distance to amusement park and restaurants. Get a lake view, if possible...scenery is beautiful! We did feel it was very over priced...but it was certainly convenient being close to everything.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room if possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah K
TyleratCP, Manager at Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed over 4th of July weekend. Cedar Point was great. Sandcastle Suites was awful. We stayed three nights, and 1) could not walk in the building at night but through a curtain of bugs hovering around the lights at the entry doors; 2) there was a musty air about the room, did not seem fresh, my wife got a sore throat; 3) the room was very small for a "suite"; 4) the room was not clean, among other things I found a roach crawling across the bathroom floor the first night; 5) the sheets, despite having blood stain on it, was not changed by the housekeeping service, and 6) we did not even receive housekeeping service on our first full day in the room. 7). When we called upset bc the sheets were not changed, the staff came to change them promptly, but had to use queen sized sheets (admittedly not that big of a deal) because they were out of king sized sheets ("the linen truck hasn't made it in yet."). Perhaps the Hotel Breakers or Castaway Bay is better???

• Stayed July 2013
TyleratCP, Manager at Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
I appreciate you letting us know about these issues so we can make the necessary operational changes. We'd be more than happy to discuss your visit in more detail with you. Please contact Paul, the hotel manager, at 419-609-2024.

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the Sandcastle Suites at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio on July 2 for one night. For the price we paid (over $200/night), it was totally not worth it. Looking online it appeared to be a great location (on Cedar Point grounds) as well have a great room product. location was great but their rooms have a lot to be desired. Our room (1639) had two queen beds I one room and a fold out couch in the other room. Though that the case the rooms were extremely small, had no lamps (all lighting was canned lights in the ceiling), there was no thermostat so you could not change the temperature in the room and it was loaded with ants. Also the refrigerator is extremely small, the pillows were flat, the sheets were short so they didn't for all the way to the end of the bed and the towels were like sand paper. Needless to say I do not recommend it. There was no value for price paid.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cwilsey
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I give this place 4 stars because we are coming to have the convenience of being close to Cedar Point. I am not expecting a 5 star hotel. I personally think the prices are fair due to getting a CP ticket for each guest, having the convenience of being so close to the park, getting in an hour earlier, and the view. My husband and I loved the walk down by the beach that takes you past the rides at Cedar Point. The beach was lovely and the pool was great too. I know when you are that close to a beach, you can't expect there to be no bugs. The only reason's I give it one less than 5 stars is I think the staff should be continuously skimming the area (and pool) for bugs considering the amount. I think if this problem was diminished some, people would just feel better staying there. Another reason I gave it less than 5 stars is the restaurant on site was about $10 per person for breakfast and the buffet was honestly horrible. I wish they served some coffee. tea, juice, milk, bagels and muffins/breads. I believe this will help your guests when trying to hurry up and feed hungry kids before going to the park without having to leave the park 1st to find affordable priced food. I will find an alternative for our next stay-probably just bring my own. I guess that is what the fridge is for!! :)
The rooms are fine, nothing too exciting, but honestly, again we came for the amusement park and didn't spend much time there. I would normally drive out to CP, stay for the day and drive back. But this hotel gives you the option to allow your teenage children to do "their thing" being so close to the park and the adults not having to shadow them every step, and being able to stay until close without the worry of the drive back. Obviously, this is not such a benefit to families with smaller children. However, my family and I stayed here last year and have just booked a return trip for next weekend. Looking forward to another enjoyable trip.
All in all, I would say Sand Castle Suites is a great place to stay while on your trip here to Cedar Point.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Nkess
TyleratCP, Manager at Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Middleburg Heights, Ohio
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Tonight after leaving park and waiting for 30 minutes for a shuttle (advertised amenity)-more than 29 people and a stroller were crowded on a shuttle headed back to hotel. Two people had panic attacks due to bug and space problems. Driver never stopped. People standing with no room to move under a sign that said "no standing while vehicle in motion." Driver said nothing. People standing in the stairwell of the door. Driver said nothing. After arriving back at hotel, I called manager Matt ( would not repeat his last name to me) who said he would address the situation with the driver but would do nothing for any of the people on the terribly unsafe and illegal shuttle ride. Said the shuttle was a "courtesy" not that we paid to stay at this particular hotel for the convenience. Unbelievably dangerous end to what was a great day. Will not stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ellegriz
Safety is our most important concern and this issue will be fully investigated.
Croswell, Michigan, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel was very convenient to the park. The room was not as nice as we expected. We also had a problem finding a baby snake in our room. The snake was removed.We requested another room and was offered in at another hotel. we opted to get a refund and drove 4 hrs back to our home. I have read other reviews with this same problem. We won't stay there again. I have left voice mail for management to contact me. I have some suggestions for them and think we could have gotten better compensation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Janeen B
TyleratCP, Manager at Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for the feedback and I'm sorry to hear we couldn't resolve your issue while you were here. We will be in touch to discuss personally.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had booked 2 nights here...overpriced for what you got. Small outdated rooms. Also the biggest thing was there was a SNAKE in our room!!!! Will never go back!!!!the front desk acted like it was no big deal and informed me that there have been some found in the hallways of the first floor. She said well we are by the water. Who cares we live by the lake also that is a problem your hotel clearly needs to resolve!!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank gkblb713
Thank you for providing feedback about your visit. If you would like to discuss your situation personally, please contact Paul, the hotel manager, at 419-609-2024.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
South Beach Resort Hotel
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites? Share your experiences!