“Enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Kitchener, Canada
“Enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Great to be close to the Park (5 - 7 min walk) and with the Suite, you get an extra room with a pull-out couch, small table/chairs and microwave & fridge. Allowed us to eat some meals in our room and enter the park an hour early each day. You pay a bit extra to stay on site but well worth it to be so close. Rooms were clean and staff were friendly. Pool and hot tub was busy and clean. Beach was quiet but close for those who wanted to use it. We would definitely stay here again and try to spend a day just at the pool and beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were hesitant to stay here because of the reviews. We should of listened! When we arrived we were relieved to see a clean and nice lobby while checking in. But that was the only nice part of the hotel. Once we were sent on our way to our room we came across over flowing garbage in the hallways, and trash on the floors. Our room was clean but dated. The beds were somewhat hard but we felt it wasn't a big deal for an overnight stay. The balcony was screened but full of bugs so we had no intention of using that. I did bring it to the person at the front desk but was referred to the manager who was not in yet. I've stayed in low budget hotels in better shape than this. The complimentary coffee was a joke as well.
Head my warning, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND STAY ELSEWHERE!
Cedar Fair should be ashamed! For $250.00 per night I would expect a lot more.

Room Tip: Save an extra $100.00 and stay at one of the smaller hotels
4 Thank Mike K

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Ok, the price you pay for the place, really isn't worth it. It's like $200 something per night, depending on when you go. But its all about where it is. It took me like 5 minutes to walk to the park. You got early entry. Free parking. And if your smart, you would bring a cooler with you and throw some food in your dorm sized mini fridge. Now, the hotel is what I would compare to a 2 to 2 1/2 star hotel/motel. Somehow I got lakeview and paid for non-lakeview, we had 6 adults in there (one brought their own blow up mattress), and I brought a sleeping bag to put down on the pull out couch (which I didn't pull out) becuase I heard so many bad reviews on here about how hard it was. It didn't bother me, I was so tired from walking the park all day I got in and crashed. But I still would recommend the place, and even go back again, just because of its location, and I really didn't have any problems with the place. If I only had 2 people, no...I'd stay somewhere cheap off the resort because having a huge room would be a bad value then.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mrslinkydog
Tarentum, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've stayed at Sandcastle Suites 4 times, with a total of 19 roomnights, in both Lakeview and non Lakeview rooms. The non-lakeview rooms should actually be called "partial" lakeview rooms, as most do have a view. The suites are a bit smaller than one woult expect- the main door opens into the living room, and there is a glass sliding door oposit the main door, which leads to the small balcony. Bugs can get bad up there, especially late May/early June, during the mayfly invasion, but the balconys are screened in, so they don't cause much of a problem. One thing I dislike about the balacony is that the air conditioner exhausts onto the balcony, so if it is hot outside, this makes it even hotter, however, on a cooler night, it feels good. The bedrooms are decent size, and the bathroom is nice, the toilet and shower are separted from the sink by a door, which makes it nice when 2 people are trying to get ready in the morning. Yes, occasionally you might see a spider, I've had that happen once, but it was not a deal breakers. Beds are comfortable, and the 2 flat screen TV's are nice to have. I am not a coffee drinker, so I can't rate the coffee they provide, but it is also nice to have the fridge and microwave. The pool area is nice, as it looks out at the lake, but the beach at that end is not swimable, as there is a breakwater right there, and the water can become quite stagnant. There are also tennis courts, which I have never used. The Breakwater Cafe, located in the same parking lot, needs to get some attention. This July, we ate there for the first time in 4 years, I ordered a burger, and for $10, you get the same burger that they serve at the quick service locations in the park, not a very good burger. The view is amazing, but the menu only so/so. never had their breakfast buffet. There is a small gift shop in the lobby- and if you're a smoker, make sure that you buy yours before getting onto the Cedar Point peninsula, as they are twice the cost there. You are within walking distance to the camper-village store, which has carry out beer and wine coolers, if that is your thing. For a small family, or even 2 couples, this is a decent place.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the hallway entrance so that you can't hear the ice machines. I also a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank sean f
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After reading all the horrible reviews on this property I was very hesitant to stay here. My boyfriend booked it and surprised me after letting me believe we werent going to be able to go. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised. Very friendly front desk lady who got us into our room even though we arrived 3 hours before check in time. Once in our room it was clean and fresh. Decent size room. It's true they dont make the bed with fitted sheets, which I thought was odd, but the sheets were clean and crisp so it didn't bother me. I inspected the whole room because of the numerous complaints that the rooms were dirty and didn't find anything wrong with it. The screened in balcony is a little on the small side, but efficient for sitting on and enjoying a beverage while watching the Lake or Pool. We sprung for the Lake view and it was well worth it watching the boats and birds and sunset. The rooms are a little small for a suite, it will accommodate 6 people because of the pull out couch, but it is a little bit of a tight squeeze. You are paying for the convenience to the park you're not staying at the Ritz lol. It was very nice to be able to be a 7-10 minute walk from the park when you wanted to come back and relax for a while before going back. My boyfriend and I walked the beach front trail to and from the park numerous times and it was beautiful. The mattresses are firm (not so much so that they are uncomfortable, but they are firm if you are used to plush).

I would recommend this hotel to small families of maybe 2 adults and 2-3 kids to be fully comfortable. It met all of my expectations. So again keep in mind you are paying for the closeness to the park and not staying because this is a 4 star full service hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 3624 overlooking the beach front :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth9977
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our family went on a mini vacation to Cedar Point. We stayed at Sandcastle Suites. We were so disappointed in the hotel for the price we pd for our room. They didnt even have fitted sheets on the bed.The bathroom was smaller than our bathroom at home and no fan in the bathroom. When the couch was let out into a bed there was bearly room to walk around it. Fires alarms were going off a few min. after we got in our room Friday and 7;30 Sat morning. My daughter said there was a lady in the lobby complaining there was blood on the sheets of her bed Friday. Sat. there was another lady in lobby holding her sheets complaining... the police showed up.We waited 1/2 hr for the shuttle to show up to take us to the park. So our hr of riding ended up to be 1/2 hr My husband got the last Mt Dew out of pop machines on Fri nite and they were not filled again until Sunday morning when we were leaving. The hot tub smelled like chlorine and the pool wasnt very heated. I will NEVER stay there or would i reccomend this hotel to anyone

3 Thank Denese D
Silver Lake, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The upside to the hotel is the close proximity to the parks. We could walk to Soak City and Cedar Point. The view was beautiful. But, we arrived on Thursday afternoon and were plagued with more than 6 fire alarms over the course of our stay...and at random times. Not the 5am wake up call I wanted for my "vacation"! I have little kids and they of course were very frightened by these, so much so, they wanted to go home. I also felt that the staff did not adequately handle nor communicate to the guests any information to ease our feelings in regards to the re-occurances of these. Very disappointing for the price we paid to stay at this location.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay, opt for the waterview, but don't go out on the balcony without shoes...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
South Beach Resort Hotel
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites? Share your experiences!