“This is a cheap MOTEL, not hotel”

Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky/Cedar Point
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
columbus
“This is a cheap MOTEL, not hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

If you are considering staying here, pick another hotel!!! The place is gross. Our room was filthy. The pool was disgusting. It's false advertising. For the price I paid (Thur nite $85, Fri $134) I would have expected something more decent. Check out another chain a bit further away from the main gate at Cedar Point if you are not from the area. The staff was the best thing about the hotel and if it were not because we arrived so late, I would have asked for a refund!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Ohiogeo1, Owner at Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky/Cedar Point, responded to this review, February 5, 2011
All Rooms are Completely Renovated. Rest Assured. We’ve heard you. See the photos. The hotel guest rooms under went a complete renovation – all rooms are going to be brand new for this coming Summer 2011. Everything! The Comfort Inn Maingate has been modernized and completely refurbished. The breakfast has been expanded providing your morning satisfaction. This hotel will have the newest rooms in Sandusky. We’re 1 block from the entrance to Cedar Point Drive . Give us an opportunity. Thank you …

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

We promised our teen daughter that we would go to Cedar Point before going back to school and thought we would make a nice weekend of it and get a motel. Made reservations through AAA saying that we did not want to stay in a roach motel but did not want to pay ridiculous prices like the Cedar Point resorts. Wanted a motel with a continental breakfast and a pool. Seemed ok. We tried to call the motel after making reservations to see if they had discount tickets and it took forever to even get anyone to answer the phone......when answered, girl said she was the only one there. Upon checking in, the lobby was small but didn't look too bad. Our room was conveniently located right next to the office. I've been to a lot of Hotels in my day but this one ranks right up there in the top two of the nasties. Every corner had mold and cob webs. The walls looked like stucko with scrape marks everywhere (they did not look anything like the pictures on their web site). The floors looked filthy and there were bugs in the bathtub. Patches of black mold were all over the shower curtain and the tissue box in the bathroom had no tissues in it and appeared that it was smudged with boogers! However the icing on the cake was the door leading from our bathroom into the OFFICE! EEEEEEEEEK! It wasn't dead bolted when we got there and I did promptly bolt it. We noticed in the office that it appeared that it was a two way dead bolt and could be unbolted from the office too! It wouldn't suprise me if they rent by the hour.....Flop House is a pretty accurate discription. If this motel hasn't been in an episode of Cops, it will be....lots of creepy people hanging around outside. We did stand in line with six other people to get our money back. Paid about 100 dollars more to go elsewhere but it was worth it. Next time we will stay at Cedar Point.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Upstate, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

I always, always check Trip Advisor prior to traveling, except this one time. What a mistake. Had I read the reviews, I would have known what to expect and would have booked elsewhere. The only part of this "Motel" that resembles a Comfort Inn, is the Lobby. After you leave the Lobby, you are checking into what appears to be a very old Motel. I can only assume that the Owner of this Comfort Inn somehow snuck this place by the Big Wigs at Comfort Inn HQ, cause I am not sure how Comfort Inn is allowing this.

We checked in on Sunday July 19th for 3 nights. Booked 2 rooms for 4 adults and 5 children ages 8 - 15. On our first day we decided to lounge by the outdoor pool before hitting the park for the next two days. Pool was dirty and was being used by Housekeeping Staff's children. Their children asked to borrow our kids pool toys and went so far as to ask for our food when we ordered a couple of pizzas. Both our rooms were dirty with bugs mashed into the walls and it was pretty obvious, they had been there for sometime. There were huge scuff marks on the white walls next to the beds as well.

Every night there were people all over the parking lot. Lots of people running up and down the outside of the walk way, which is right in front of your front door.

There are other places to stay in Sandusky, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
CGrandeSandusky, other at Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky/Cedar Point, responded to this review, August 6, 2009
We honestly apologize for youre stay being inadequate for your trip. We can only hope that you brought these issues you witnessed to a desk clerks attention so that we can adress them and hopefully improve our hotel for if you ever decide to come back,which we hope you will. Again,we are sorry for any inconveniencen our hotel may have cause you.
southtownexpress
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

I booked a reservation at the Comfort Inn Cedar Point Maingate a couple of weeks in advance, and only looked up reviews a day before leaving. Reading the reviews here, I was mortified! It was too late to change anything, so I resigned myself to my fate and prepared for the worst time ever.

However, when I checked in, I was merely greeted with the most average hotel room ever. Sure, there were a few dead gnats on the windowsill, but not the torrent of horrors I had expected. The girl who checked me in seemed more interested with smoking outside then helping me, but the morning staff was pleasant as can be, and the breakfast was pretty good.

All in all, I am completely satisfied. It wasn't great, but it wasn't as horrible as these reviews made me think. Maybe I just had an above-average experience for this place? Who knows.

Oh, and one last thing. The website I reserved through said the hotel was "walking distance" to Cedar Point, but whoever said that needs their head examined. It's easily four or five miles to the parking lot. Prepare to pay Cedar Point parking fees.

Toledo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

First off, I booked this because it was close to Cedar Point and I didn't want to spend that much. I didn't expect much, but I do EXPECT to be able to 1) have a parking spot, 2) Not have drug dealers around me and 3) be able to stay in a bug free, clean room...period. Regardless of price, guest should be able to feel confident in having a hotel staff that actually cares to make their property worth a stay.

This is not the case with Sandusky's Comfort Inn Maingate.

No parking. People standing around all night long, outside our room, around our cars on cell phones. No elevators. The room looked like something I've seen on "Cops" hundreds of times. The door lock latch was broken. The door had clearly been broken into for some reason. Cobwebs and bugs in EVERY corner. White, crusty spots on the carpet. And on every wall, tens of squashed bugs and dead bugs.

I would have left if I didn't have a 4 and 6 year old already asleep.

Was told there was a WIFI connection in the room, there was none. Went down to check out in the morning, was not asked about my stay, was not giving a single second of eye contact. Don't go here just because of the location. You can find MUCH better...I would hope.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

The pictures of hotel look great, but when we passed it, I said to myself please dont let that be 1711 Cleveland Ave. We turned around because sure enough it was, my husband checked in and we started unloading all of our stuff, we walked upstairs to our room, which was at the very end like they were gonna get booked up for something, the sidewalks were stained with who knows what, I wanted to bag our feet just to walk on sidewalk. These young adult just walked in a room and you could clearly smell and see that they were partying, big deal about that really, but the whole seen was what u would call a crack head motel...
The bed was hard as a rock, and I';m not even joking uncomfortable. The floors were stained the ceiling was patched. The bathroom was dingy and old, and tv was staticky, the furniture was scratched, the room was non smoking and it stunk to high heavens... I've stayed in other comfort inn's that were great, but this was pure nasty.. We checked out within 10 minutes and asked for a refund, they gave us our money back and said no charge... When we grabbed out suitcase, and took off down stairs, My family came up on a woman urinating aroung a bush to try to hide herself and, boy she didn't hide herself at all, it was truley embarrsing and disgusting to our family! We are not no high class family, we've stayed in many motels, that never even came close to this disaster.... Comfort INN Maingate is horrible....

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — a woman urnating outside or the people smoking pot next door
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank sarah1996indiana
CIMSandusky, public relations manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky/Cedar Point, responded to this review, March 29, 2009
We certainly do apologize for the women urinating in the bush & for the teens partying in the room next door to your room. I am sure that if you would have informed the front desk clerk of your suspicions of these partyers they would have taken care of that issue. Also,if you were displeased with your room,you could have requested to be moved to another. Again,we apologize for the problems you had at your stay.
CLYDE, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2008

At first we thought we were in for a treat, the main office seemed to be pretty new but then we went to our room. We opened the door to the most disgusting smell, the carpets were not only sticky but we had to wipe our feet off with baby wipes before putting our feet onto the sheets. The towels and bathroom were clean, thought using the towels were like exfoliating with sandpaper, did I mention the big hole that had been repaired but not concealed very well by the plaster. Unfortunately we had booked this 100.00 room for 2 nights in advance and could not change the reservations. NEVER AGAIN WILL I STAY AT A COMFORT INN

• Liked — CLOSE TO OUR DESTINATION
  • Disliked — WAS NOT OF THE BEST QUALITY FOR THE $$ STAYED IN CHEAPER BETTER PLACES THAT THIS
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family