“Nice staff - Nasty hotel”

Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice staff - Nasty hotel”
Reviewed May 24, 2004

We read the reviews, but since they claimed to have remodeled, we took our chances. The staff was really nice, the rooms were small, we didn't feel safe, weird smell and although the rooms were clean, we felt dirty staying there with our kids. we went to the staff to check out 5 minutes later. They were very nice and we got a full credit. Remodeling isn't the answer. They just need to tear it down.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ohiogeo1, Owner at Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky, responded to this review, February 5, 2011
All Rooms are Completely Renovated. Rest Assured. We’ve heard you. See the photos. The hotel guest rooms under went a complete renovation – all rooms are going to be brand new for this coming Summer 2011. Everything! The Comfort Inn Maingate has been modernized and completely refurbished. The breakfast has been expanded providing your morning satisfaction. This hotel will have the newest rooms in Sandusky. We’re 1 block from the entrance to Cedar Point Drive . Give us an opportunity. Thank you …

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Gaston, Indiana
Reviewed April 22, 2004

We paid $139 for a room worth no more than $49. We felt totally ripped off. I wish I had known about this site before I booked this crummy hotel.
I wrote a letter to Comfort Inn, but generic responses and no apology. The rooms were dirty and smelly. I was terribly upset that I subjected my small children to such conditions. Don't be fooled by the outside facade.

6 Thank ardecker

Travelers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Reviewed April 18, 2004

This hotel was the absolute worst place I have stayed in many, many years. I'd rather camp than stay here. At least then, I know what I'm getting into. The room was dirty, there were cobwebs in the doorways, we didn't even go near the pool, as it looked disgusting and there were bugs EVERYWHERE. We, too, saw the disclaimer letter from management about the bugs. It would have been comical if it wasn't for the fact that I have stayed lots of other places close to lakes, rivers, and oceans and have never had such a bug problem. The website said the rooms were "recently remodeled." Mine wasn't. My room did not have the hairdryer, ironing board and iron, or coffee maker as was advertised.
When I inquired at the front desk, I was given an unconcerned, "I know, those things get stolen all the time." The best part is that I wrote to management and received a response saying that those things are amenities, they were just unavailable at the time of my stay. Choice Hotels International was not interested in my opinion, either. Their loss, as I have stayed in 8 different, non-Choice, hotels in different cities since I was there in August 2003. I avoid all Choice Hotels as I feel my business is not appreciated.

• Stayed August 2003
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
north royalton, ohio
Reviewed March 2, 2004

i couldn't believe it when my sister got this motel for 1 night, worst night of my life, it was bad enough pulling into the parking lot, very crappy looking. then we get into the room, what a joke, it smelled, and extremely dirty, the water pressure sucked, and there were not hair dryers in every room like they said, and nothing like waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and there are spiders on the walls, i swear to god, i am not lying, so i went out to my car and slept, some complimentary breakfast, i never seen any of it. we went to cedar point anyway, had a great day, but from now on i make all the lodging plans, i do no recommend this motel at all, oh, they do have an outside pool, but it was green!!

9 Thank Bonnie S
Reviewed February 9, 2004

First, the rooms smell and are dirty. Do not book there if you have a nose and eyes that work. Second, be wary of the bugs. Now, my family almost stayed there in October. We ended up paying $25 for housekeeping and leaving. We found much better accomodations up the road, and unless your walking the causway to Cedar Point, trust me, the further away, the better and cheaper the hotel. We left, but not before swiping the bug disclaimer in the room. Basically it stated that since the hotel was so close to the lake, they are not responsable for the bugs! In order to reduce the amount of bugs in your room, don't turn on the light, and keep the rooms cool, bugs like the warmth. I am not even joking. We took the paper to send to Jay Leno! Just stay away, thats my advice. Happy Traveling!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2003

The room was not very clean, especially bathroom floor. The pool was dirty and the grounds around the pool not clean. Game room was pitiful.
Pinball machine not working and not much to do. Workers were nice and the breakfast time was fine. Need larger shuttle bus to Cedar Point.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2003

Cedar Point Sandusky Maingate is not anywhere worth the 99.00 a night we paid. The pool was dirty and needed painted badly. The rooms are in desperate need for remodeling. We visited the hotel in July the air conditioner did not work correctly. We had planned to stay 3 nights we cut our stay short. Choose another hotel please!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member