“Don't go there!”

Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The worst hotel ever! We were greeted so bad at the reception, so rude! The hotel is old, dirty and filthy. The room was so disgusting, dirty and filthy ,the furniture used and out of date. The room smelled of humidity. No Wi-Fi to talk about ( in the hotel reviews it was included ). In the wee hours of the night we were awakened by drunk idiots having a party in the parking lot. Horrible hotel! Stay away!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madeleinem357
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Although not the kind of reviews we like to hear about our property, I DO want to thank you for sharing your experience and inform you that many of the issues you listed in your review have been resolved. We had a group of people who were staying at the hotel for an extended stay that we ended up having to evict because of the problems you suggested. We also have been working diligently with our housekeeping staff to improve the standards of cleanliness and customer service that you spoke of. Additionally, our front office staff has been reorganized and some people have been dismissed because of their lack of concern for our customers. It's comments such as yours that give us the information and amunition to make solid, positive changes of which we can be proud and of which our future guests will be the beneficiary. I hope that you'll treat this as an isolated incident and that you'll give us another chance to prove our committment to quality and customer service to you and your family in the future!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I planned a trip to Cedar Point with my three kids. I looked online and must admit i read the terrible reviews on this Travelodge, but chose to disregard them. My Mistake. we arrived on Friday, August 3, 2012. The room was dirty and smelled very bad when we arrived. It was also very hot in the room, although the air conditioner was running when we arrived. I figured it had just been off and would cool down over time. Wrong again. We went to eat, and i stopped and bought some Lysol, an air freshener and some Bleach cleaner. We were gone about 3 hours and it was still smothering hot in the room when we returned. I called the front desk and reported this and was told they would send someone. No one ever showed up. Didn't get a call back either. I cleaned the room and sprayed lysol everywhere. We went to bed around 10:15 because we had a long day at the park the next day. There were people at the pool drinking and hollering and slamming doors for over an hour. I called the front desk and they said the pool was open till 11:00. I told them it was after 11:00. They said they would handle it. Still more yelling, laughing and slamming doors. Horns going off. This lasted another half hour. I called again. I was told they were on their way to the pool to get things settled down. At 12:15 i called and told the girl who answered that either they get the group under control or i was calling 911 and getting the police. I finally got to bed and sleep after 1:00. Needless to say i didn't get much sleep. We went to the park the next day and returned back to the hotel around midnight. Pool party again. Luckily it was starting to rain, and the storm sent them back to their rooms. I am not a prude, and am not against drinking or having a good time. I am against infringing on others and acting foolish in public. I felt as if i was staying in a white trash trailor park. It was ridiculous. Also, on top of all of this nonsense, when i checked out i was charged more than what i was quoted. I am contacting the main headquarters for Travelodge and putting in a complaint. I said nothing to the staff when i left because i was too furious. PLEASE BELIEVE the bad reviews on this site and others. Pay a little more and get another hotel, or stay a little farther away from CEDAR POINT and avoid this place. I didn't heed the warnings, but i hope you do.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. Period. Have never EVER had such a bad experience at any hotel/motel in my ent...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tim1167
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to relate your experiences during your recent stay at our property. I am sorry that the cleanliness standards didn't meet your expectations--we are constantly working with our seasonal housekeeping staff to ensure better quality and more focused customer-service. The partying and hollaring you refer to was from a group who ended up having to be forcibly evicted from the property. Things have gotten much better since this action was taken--so people should factor that into their reading of this review. At any rate, we hope you'll consider this an isolated incident and give us another try in the future!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

From June 27-30, 2012, my wife & I, along with our 13-year-old daughter & her friend stayed at the Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky while visiting Cedar Point from Baltimore, MD. We'd read the TripAdvisor ratings (most of which were terrible), but we also read the responses & stayed there anyway. Bad move!! The pool was green & unusable everyday. The "free" internet didn't reach our room, not for either of our laptops or any of our iProducts. It did however work just outside the room, on the balcony. There were SEVERAL smashed bugs on the wall, just inside the door. One evening, I was awakened by a bug crawling on me. The carpet had 2 chunky, unidentifiable stains (maybe vomit?) at the foot of one of the beds that I (mostly) scraped away with some cardboard. EW!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!
1  Thank John S
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to relate your experience at our hotel property. Although we seem to have fallen short of the mark with your stay, I can advise that 90% of the carpet in everyone of our rooms has been replaced with brand new carepet, the pool situation has been remedied, as has the wireless problem. Thanks for bringing those issues to our attention as it has helped us to improve our property and, most importantly, for future guests!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I normally don't write reviews but in this case I feel I need to share with fellow travelers. If you don't have a problem with cleanliness, stained bedding or centipede like bugs crawling all over your room then this is the place for you. My advice just pay the extra money for a better hotel! The only good thing about this place is that its conveniently located. It might not be so bad if they hired a good cleaning staff!!

• Stayed: July 2012

I'm sorry that your recent stay didn't meet (or exceed) all of your expectations. We have a very strong and progressive pest control management system in place in our property; however, it being an outside-corrider property, the bug situation cannot be controlled 100% of the time. We have also used your comments (and others) to help train our cleaning staff so that they understand the standards that we, and our customers, expect. Thanks for sharing your experiences; we hope you'll give us another try in the future!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

When we first arrived..the desk clerk was out side smoking..not very professional in my opinion...the room it self was clean there were no budbugs trust me I checked ..There were a couple of things I didnt like..your house keeping staff needs uniforms of some sort..they were dressed horribly..again not professional and not friendly at all..The towels in the room were like sandpaper..some fabric sheets would help Im sure...and your breakfast wasnt..some pastries and coffee..It wasnt horrible for the price..but I feel like if you did just a few small things you mite have return business..I would start with attitude adjustments for your staff!..They should have a little pride!!

1  Thank luanne88
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Your comments and suggestions are very good and we plan to use your comments as a way for continual improvement of our staff and property. This is obviously a work-in-progress, but we are actively working to make positive changes. I'd urge you to give us another shot in the future--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the changes we're implementing!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Starting off when entering the hotel there was a hornet's nest just above one of our rooms. We immediately notified the the staff on duty. Then upon entering each room the mildew smell in the rooms were horrid!!! We notified them of that too. We were given a can of Lysol. I guess that would be our first clue to indicate how the rest of our stay would be. There were huge bugs in the hotel rooms.We came in a large group. We booked 4 rooms based off the images & location of the hotel, as well as value. The original images that were on the website when we booked were all removed. Later we came to notice that they were images from the Comfort Inn across the street. We later realized that all of the amenities from the original booking site were also from across the street. The lady at the front desk stated that they are affiliates. (not stated on the original booking site) We ate, swam, & had adult activities across the street. There is no cross walk therefore we literally had to play in traffic when crossing. Not one type of bug, but several types. We had to go to the local Walmart to treat the horrible infestation ourselves. We attempted to speak with the manager, however they were off duty! Our entire stay they were off duty & unreachable! Finally on our last night there we spoke with Sandy (I believe that was her name) about all of our issues. She was the rudest Manager I have ever!! She refused to even come to the rooms to smell the horrible odor , nor would she come to see the large bugs!!!! She sent maintenance that agreed that the smell was fowl & agreed that no one should spend money to stay in a hotel like this! Needless to say the hornet's nest was never removed & the smell was never treated!! Don't ever stay here at this nasty, filthy, disgusting place!!!

Room Tip: Keep Driving Pass!
1  Thank Shay R
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

I am extremely disappointed that you recent stay at our hotel didn't meet (or exceed) your expectations. As a seasonal property that just recently opened for the 2012 season, there are still some kinks that we are working out and some work that we are doing both on the physical property itself as well as with the relatively new staff. We will definitely review the problems you encountered with our staff and use your comments as training material to make sure that our services are improved. THANK YOU for bringing these issues to our attention and rest assured that they will be dealt with accordingly. We hope that you treat these issues as isolated and that you'll give us another shot in the future to prove that customer service is our number one priority!

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Several of my friends and I were staying at this hotel for a convention that was down the street. Despite the nasty reviews of this place that we saw already, we decided to give it a shot. Nothing was too bad about the hotel at first, there was only a musky smell to the room. Around 2 AM, we were woken up to find a nasty sight though. The person laying next to me started freaking out and saw bed bugs and there were about 10 of them that we had killed before finally deciding to say something. We then discovered blood stains on the bed sheets and all the beds were infested in that room. We had to move into a different room around 3 AM. There were no bedbugs, but the place was indeed unsanitary. It smelled horrid and the bathroom was unclean and the showers did not work properly--they always shifted to too hot or too cold.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Have the people who assign you a room check the room VIGOROUSLY before they let you stay in it!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mary L
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

We are sorry that you recent stay at our hotel property didn't meet (and exceed) all of your expectations. As you are probably aware, this particular property is a seasonal property and we are still working on getting the property in order for the 2012 summer season. Additionally, we have a very aggressive pest control program in place; however, as you know, bed bugs sometimes become a problem in hotel properties because they are transported into the property via other guests, pets, pests, etc. We will continue to work on this situation appropriately and urge you to give us another try in the future. We know you won't be disappointed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sandusky South

Been to Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky? Share your experiences!