“Thank goodness for TripAdvisor”

Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My boyfriend and I went on vacation with his family and this year they chose this hotel, I can only assume because of the price. I went to Trip Advisor as soon as I got the hotel address and was disappointed and nervous going into the trip. I brought a flat sheet and some blankets and pillows and just laid on top of the made beds. I also brought my own towels, to be safe. I really am glad I did, especially coming home to this review about the bed bugs. We didn't see any, but there were flies in our room that were crawling on the bed while we were getting ready in the morning. Truth be told this hotel is about 20 years behind the time (and thats on average). The vinyl flooriong in the "bathroom" looks like something out of Greg Brady's houses on the Brady Bunch. Everything is yellow, with big hideous floral patterns. The room is not very inviting, the scent alone hits you like a brick wall when you first get there. We walked in and it just smelled like mold and old carpet. The one thing i didn't bring in preparation for this was candles or air freshener, so we had to make an emergency trip to Wal*Mart at midnight. The staff was very nice. The continental breakfast was terrible, but thankfully there was a gas station right next door with coffee and breakfast sandwiches. We had a great time, but we didn't spend much time in the room. The beds were kind of uncomfortable but we made due with what we had. I'm really glad I had researched this beforehand otherwise I probably would have been miserable. The BEST part of the motel: The water pressure in the shower; The WORST part of the motel: They keep the gate to the swimming pool wired OPEN. At the deepest it's 5 ft. I was very concerned about the children because we were travelling with a 2 year old. granted that we would never let her out of our sight, it's still ridiculous that they keep the pool wide open with NO lifeguard.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank buffalojk
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

While I am glad to hear that the staff was friendly and attentive during your visit, I am sorry that the entire stay didn't meet or exceed your expectations. Your comments regarding the holding open of the pool gate concern me greatly as that is NOT something that our staff would do or would condone. As we prepare to open the hotel for the 2012 summer season, we're using comments like yours to train our staff on quality and customer service. Thanks for taking the time to submit your candid review. We hope that you'll consider choosing to stay with us again in the future so that we can prove our on-going committment to constant and continual improvement.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Me and my husband took a trip to cedar point and was looking for a hotel for the night , So we saw travelodge and thought it had some good reviews boy was we wrong. After getting the room in the old section we inspected the bed's and found bed bugs that we thought were dead but to my surprise when i went to scoop it up in a cup to take to the clerk It took off and scurried away and then my husband found two more in the same bed so we looked in the second bed and found two more so we left the room and requested are money back but the clerk, but she had only worked there for three day and had no idea how to give us a refund so she offer us another room in the new building. We found no bed bug after inspection the room but we still will NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN...

Room Tip: dont stay there
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank freespirits52519

While I am happy to hear that our staff did what they could to remedy the bad situation you found in the first room, I apologize for that even happening in the first place. As you are probably aware, every hotel imaginable has on-going problems with bed bugs. They're very hard to get rid of and they come into the rooms attached to guests' belongings. We have a very progressive and solid pest-control program in place; however, as with anything in nature, it's not 100%. Please accept my apology and know that comments like yours help us to continually assess our performance and strive for improved quality. We hope you'll give us another chance to prove that to you and your family!

Reviewed September 5, 2010

When we checked in we were greeted very Friendly attendant Lina was great she made sure our room was PERFECT Room very Nice and Clean our stay was GREAT , check in and check out was smooth and we had no PROBLEMS bathroom was clean and beds were nice I would recommend RM 233 that is where we stayed a very nice room for the price . Great for a trip to Cedar Point we will stay Again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel property. It's comments like yours that suggest that we're doing some things right while, at the same time, always looking for constant improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay in our area!

Reviewed September 3, 2010

If you are intelligent enough to use trip advisor to plan you trip, be intelligent enough to never stay here. I would list all the reasons why if i had a few hours.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2010

The room stunk, sheets smelled, room was dirty, no pool, no phone service!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't even send my dog to this place. There was a reason this hotel was so cheap. It was a complete DUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank k1973
Reviewed July 27, 2010

The blankets had other people's hair on it, the noise from the 2nd floor guests kept me up all night, we had to wait for orange juice at breakfast, breakfast was mini muffins and old danish pastry, no forks to eat with....one good thing was that our non-smoking room didn't smell like smoke at all. There was flower pots filled with cigarette buds and water near the entrance of the buildings. The pool wasn't open and it didn't even have water in it. The front desk people were not friendly and they didn't even say "thank you!" Overall, we will not be staying there again.

1  Thank beinformedbyme
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This hotel is WAY over priced. I don't care how close it is to area attractions. $100/night is outrageous for the condition of this place. This is a $29.99/night motel at best! The walls and carpet were filthy. The bedspreads were about 30 yrs old, dirty, and dingy. I could at least tell that the sheets had been bleached, thank God!! The towels were like sand paper and the beds were hard as rocks. We put our two small children in their pack-n plays and that is where they stayed. We didn't want them running around in the room. The tub, toilet and sink were at least reasonably clean. I tried to convince myself that it was a "motel" and that I shouldn't expect much but when you consider the price it was just rediculous! The only reason we stayed here was because everywhere else was booked due to a convention that weekend. I would rather drive for an hour to get home instead of staying here again. Spend the extra money to stay some place else!!