“Nice For The Price”

Americas Best Value Inn - St. Clairsville / Wheeling
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Saint Clairsville
Reviewed September 5, 2008

I had stayed at a Best Value in Marietta, Ohio previously and was pleasantly surprised considering the price. When I located a Best Value at our destination to the Wheeling, W. Va. area I did not hesitate to book there. The staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were clean, donuts and coffee was fresh and good and it is a convenient location. Nothing fancy but for the price, it can't be beat!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 11, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at this hotel. The room rate was very low, only $48. Thus I expected the hotel and room conditions to be below average. My expectations were completely wrong. The hotel and staff were nice. While the room was average, for the price I paid, coupled with the nice staff and pleasant environment make this hotel a real gem. I even received a postcard from the hotel thanking me for my stay. I recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank mcelhit
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I am not picky. I just need a clean place to put my head after a long day visiting relatives in St. C. This looked clean and the staffer was very nice. Our room actually appeared very clean, however, it is an older motor hotel (motel--doors face the outside) and although we asked for a non-smoking room (and got one), there is no amount of cleaning that can remove 50 years of cigarette smoke. Even the AC unit, when we turned it on, puffed out a stinky ashtray aroma. I thought I could live with it, so we went to sleep. By the time my husband and I woke up in the morning, our noses were completely stuffed, our eyes were puffy little slits, and we had big black bags under our eyes. It was so full of god knows what--smoke residue, dust mites, plain old dirt--that we could barely breathe by morning. And we aren't the hyper-allergenic paranoid types. The allergic and immuno-compromised should not sleep here--the stay would probably kill you.

Also, bring your own everything. Toothbrush: $2. Use of hair dryer: $2. Extra towels: extra. Don't even open the refrigerator because that will cost you $5! These charges can easily add up, so your $45 rate will be $70. .Might as well stay at the Holiday Inn Express or Fairfield Inn for $85...but for $53 total out-the-door, perhaps it was worth it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank IntrepidBuckeye
Reviewed June 30, 2008

**Please read if you want "NO SMOKING"**

My husband booked my room online for me $75 with taxes) since I was going to be doing a lot of traveling. He checked the reviews here and found that it looked like it would be a decent room for the price.

I arrived at the Inn after having traveled for approx. 14 hours and I was extremely tired. (I just needed a place to sleep before I headed out to drive 13 hours the next day.) I checked in at the front desk and the front desk attendant was courteous. She gave me my key and told me how to get to my room. (I didn't know there were places that used real keys anymore. This made me uncomfortable since I was traveling by myself. )

I arrived at my room and entered. I was IMMEDIATELY overcome by the stench of smoke. It made my eyes sting. I put my bags down and checked my paperwork. It did not specify that my husband had reserved a no-smoking room so I accepted the fact that I was stuck with this dive of a room. The rest of the room appeared to be clean except the sofa which had large stains on it. The room was severly outdated - complete with HARVEST GOLD appliances. Even though the room "appeared" clean, I avoided touching anything because I just felt like it was dirty

I had a hard time sleeping due the stench of the room and the less than adequate air conditioner. I got up in the morning to take a shower and realized that they didn't even have a blow dryer. I ended up just leaving because I didn't feel like I'd be clean even if I did shower. As I was pulling out of my parking spot I realized that there was a "NO SMOKING" sign on my door. I was ticked off. How in the world could they rent a room in that condition as a "NO SMOKING" room!?!

I arrived at the front desk to check out and the lobby was full of people. The front desk attendant was kind and asked if everything was alright with my stay. I was afraid of what might come out of my tired, aggravated mouth, so I simply said "I guess".

There were several other hotels/motels in the area that I wish I would've stayed at. I would gladly have paid double the price.

I will never stay at another Best Value Inn for fear that it will be like this one.

(I'm not giving it a 1 because the staff was atleast friendly, not that it does any good when the room stinks)

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank drivinfools
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Great place and great staff .... clean room was my second time there as I never really judge a place on one stay but were great and different style rooms...easy parking and high speed internet was fast and free,,great place for the money....

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank pokieg
Reviewed December 22, 2007

I was travelling to the area on business and after my meeting I went to see the lights at Oglebay State Park (well worth the time). Afterwards, I was looking for a place to stay and came accross this property. The front desk help was very friendly and answered all of my questions with a smile. My room, which was comfortable temperature wise and came with two double beds and a microfridge, was only $50 total with my AAA savings.

Free cable and wired high speed internet are available (the hotel even has extra connection cables should you be in need of one).

In the morning, I woke up to free doughnuts, coffee and juice in the lobby, as well as a free copy of the local paper. The manager even told me that he had gone out to the store that morning to restock the doughnut supply as they had run out earlier that day!

If I ever find myself in the area again, I would definately stay here!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2007

We stayed here one night each coming and going to break up a longer 10-plus hour trip. We usually stay at Super8-type hotels, but Best Value Inn was a little cheaper on the pet fees. It's not perfect, but it was decently clean and a decent value. However, the carpet looked like it had water stains even though it was dry. The first room was marked no smoking however we could tell some idiot clod had smoked in the room anyway, so on the return trip they put us in another room, which was only slightly better (but it's not the hotel's fault if the clientele smoke despite the no smoking policy).
For the pets, there was ample grass areas to walk them compared to the Super8 at US 40 and I-70.
The beds were decently comfortable. The second night was completely full of hunters, but we heard little the next morning -- a testament to the soundproof walls. The hotel is located right next to the interstate, but again, we heard little (then again we were the second room from the interstate end both nights).
The hotel is not WI FI but an Internet computer is available in the lobby. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was simple (and boring) donuts, coffee and juice. For a better breakfast, travel US 40 East for a few miles to Sonny Boy Restaurant in Bridgeport. It's a local restaurant next to Dairy Queen where a full breakfast with eggs, sausage/bacon, home fries and toast is still under $3.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple