“The Holiday Inn Express showing its age”

Holiday Inn Express St. Clairsville
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Saint Clairsville
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed over on the weekend of July 13, 2012. We had used this hotel in the past, so that is why we decided on it this time. Also my priority club points. I have to say that the condition of this hotel, and indeed this whole area, is noticeably worse than the last time we were here. For the 'sale price' of $145.00 plus tax per night for a standard king non smoking top floor room, I expected better. I noticed another reviewer mentioned the same thing.

The Express start breakfast was good, as standard for HIE, and the one reason I upgraded this review to 3 stars overall. The staff was great, too. On the downside, the rooms are all a little smelly, and new carpeting in the rooms would not hurt.

Next time we come here I will probably try another hotel chain.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank fritomann
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Clairsville, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear fritomann,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I appreciate the compliments about our hotel staff and breakfast service. However, I am sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. I apologize that we failed to meet the quality you expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 19, 2012

One of a cluster of hotels just off I-70 just West of Wheeling. Not sure why (Shale Gas workers , maybe?), but like all hotels in the Wheeling area it was rather higher price than one would expect to pay for a hotel in the area. Nothing exceptional, but met the normally high standards of HI Express. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

This is our 6th stay at this hotel and it never disappoints! The rooms are spotless, the staff is great and the breakfast is fresh hot and so delicious! Emily was on duty when we checked in and she went above and beyond with her customer service, she's the best! Gave me directions to a local attraction, have us extra pillows and blankets, even found a snack for our daughter during check in because she heard her mention she was hungry! Our room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop! Thanks Holiday inn for a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I was heading westbound through Ohio on I-70, and I couldn't drive no more. I pulled off in St. Clairsville at this HIExpress. They were nearly sold out...all that was left was a King Jacuzzi suite or the Presidential Suite (the later you drive and wait to stop for a hotel, the less availability you will have). I had a family of four with me, so I splurged on the Presidential so we could have a pull-out couch. The young lady at the front desk knew it was pricey, so she worked with me and gave me the best discount she could (this was night of July 12th, I'm sorry I don't remember her name, but she was awesome if management is reading).
Room was clean, overall hotel was in great shape. Only one elevator, but it was fast, and even with a full hotel, I never waited more than a minute to get on or off.
Thanks to the staff at St. Clairsville. I would stay here again...but get there earlier.

Room Tip: Nicest hotel in the area, so the rooms fill up quick. Book your room before 5pm the day you plan to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jason H
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I slept in the first bed, closest to the door, in room 106. The next morning I woke up with several bug bites on my neck, face, and arm. I didn't report it at the time, but am writing a letter to the management about it. I did not inspect the bed before retiring, expecting Holiday Inn to have clean, bug-free rooms. Also, bed was pretty hard.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Buckeye17
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I'm a camper and rarely stay in hotels, but on this trip we chose not to camp. In the past, I've always been very critical of hotels, because I worked in one for several years. I have to say that I was very pleased with my stay here. The location is great whether you're just looking for a bed for the nite or are in the area for a couple of days. A shopping mall as well as several restaurants are located just minutes away. Hotel was very clean and comfortable. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great with multiple hot and cold items to choose from. Free coffee always available in lobby. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I knew it was going to be a bad stay from the moment we arrived. Very BAD customer service! With UNKIND & RUDE staff who yelled at my children for asking a question. Just as rude to my husband when he tried to ask a question. Rooms had a smell to them, not very clean & beds were so uncomfortable. No parking, parking cones all over the parking lot & lots of people drinking & smoking in the parking lot. Would not recommend especially if you have kids.

• Stayed: May 2012
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Dear Queenheart1923,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express St. Clairsville, OH hotel. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Kindly accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Anthony M

Hampton Inn St. Clairsville
Hampton Inn St. Clairsville
#2 of 15 in Saint Clairsville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Wheeling-St. Clairsville, OH
Fairfield Inn & Suites Wheeling-...
#12 of 15 in Saint Clairsville
Candlewood Suites St. Clairsville
Candlewood Suites St. Clairsvill...
#8 of 15 in Saint Clairsville
Hampton Inn Wheeling
Hampton Inn Wheeling
#1 of 8 in Wheeling
Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville
Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville
#3 of 15 in Saint Clairsville

Been to Holiday Inn Express St. Clairsville? Share your experiences!