“My second time there!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sagamore Hills
Inn at Brandywine Falls
IL
“My second time there!”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We were travelling through the area and I wanted to share the experience of this inn with my parents. We stopped for one night and they had a blast! Katie and George are wonderful hosts and the experience is worth stopping for!

The Inn is old and super well kept! George insists on carrying your luggage to keep the house in pristine condition. Once you see it you will understand!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank GoinPlaces63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed here for one night on our way back from Michigan to Maryland. We usually do the drive straight through, but since I am now on a National Parks kick we decided to split the drive in two and stop at Cuyahoga National Park. The inn is located right next to Brandywine Falls and it is just a short walk to see the falls. It is a charming place with goats and chickens, a sweet dog and friendly inn keepers. We were traveling with our poodle and George and Katie were welcoming to her as well. They provided her with a nice "luxury suite" in the barn and even though our dog would have preferred to be in the house (she would also prefer that we never go to work and we could stay home and pet her all day) she was happy to be able to run around the fenced in grounds of the Inn off leash.

Our room was wonderfully decorated with antiques and had the most beautiful painted floors. The bed seemed firm at first but was quite comfortable to sleep in. Water pressure in the claw-foot tub's shower was excellent, so even though it looks like the inn might have old plumbing and electrical, it has definitely been modernized behind the walls.

Now to the best part, Breakfast! There is one set time for breakfast (unless you arrange it before hand), and everyone sits around the table family style. The food is wonderful and George and Katie are great conversationalists, so much so that you won't want to get up from the table. It is like a great dinner party, but at breakfast.

Do yourself a favor and read the copy of the innkeepers' book that is in your room. It is half recipes and half stories that they have heard over the years at the breakfast table. The stories are wonderful and funny. I am not a big cooker, but the stories were so good, that I bought the book.

Room Tip: We had the Adeline's Retreat room and it is at the front of the house, so we had a bit of highwa...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank shelingas_sis
Rolling Hills Estates, California
Reviewed May 22, 2011

The inn's decor is lovely. The breakfasts are outstanding, and my bed was quite comfortable. The location was excellent, except for the traffic noise from a nearby highway. I felt that the plethora of signs in the rooms telling guests what not to do was obsessive and very controlling. Because of the latter, I would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011
8 Thank CaliPalosVerdes
Arlington
Reviewed October 21, 2010

George and Katie are prefect hosts. They invite the guests into their kitchen, really making them feel at home. Unlike most other B&Bs, George and Katie join the guests at the breakfast table, remember everyone's name, and lead the conversation. And what conversation! Great stories, often told in rhyme. Some reviewers have called the hosts fussy old folks. Besides the unfounded ageist bigotry of the accusation, it is untrue. What is true is that George and Katie have a strong sense of stewardship -- they strive to preserve the splendid old building they worked hard to restore, an inn that belongs to the National Parks Service and the American people. We are thankful for their success.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Virginiatravelerstwo
Chicago
Reviewed January 9, 2010

We have now stayed at many B & Bs, and the Inn at Brandywine Falls is the best, in many ways. We not only enjoyed our sleep. The breakfast was fantastic, the best we’ve ever had. But even better than that was getting to meet and to know the proprietors Katie and George a little. They had breakfast with us, not just for us. We were able to talk and get to know them, and out lives are are richer for it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoversOfLife
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Attention to detail by the owners is amazing. Authentic feel with modern conveniences added. Food was out of this world. Great location from which to bike or hike. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank rub14
Kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed August 27, 2009

It's hard to say how we felt when we left George and Katie's home (Yes, it is their home). I will tell you I called them the night we got home to thank them, to tell them we got home ok, and to get an address for a lovely couple we met while we were there. My wife and I are in our early 50's and I honestly felt like I had visited my parents at the family home. Louie the dog, Bedlam and Chaos the goats, the chickens (whose eggs we ate each morning), and the sweet outdoor cats. We stayed in the main house and it is VERY quiet. We are certain we didn't disturb our neighbors..(we're not THAT old). George and Katie have been married 60 years and have been living in the Inn apparently happily for the last 22. If that's not a romantic setting, I don't know what is. Their sweet interactions made the experience even more so. George is somewhat set in his ways. He insists on carrying your suitcase up the stairs..to avoid the unavoidable wall schmutz that todays wheeled oversized bags produce. He mentioned the "good old carpet bag" of days past and was amused (I think) when my wife produced her bag..a real carpet bag..Yes I had a wheeled monster that George lugged upstairs arms wrapped. No food in the rooms (maybe a little but treat it like it's your house!) I told him I would treat his home as my own, and he relaxed. I think trust can be a wonderful thing. The house is beautifully restored..build in 1843 or so and set with some lovely antiques...USE THE COASTERS!!!! (Yes, George) Sound in the house is quiet. I could not hear the turnpike but I understand the "outrooms" .Granery and the Loft are noiser (as well as more expensive. I recommend staying in the main house..you don't want to miss interacting with your hosts!.) Breakfasts were wonderful and fresh (eggs from the chickens, local berries from the garden, tomatoes from same, oatmeal, etc) You are also a walk away from the Brandywine Falls as well as only a 1.5 mile hike from the Towpath bike trail.(all part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park).as well as the soon to be restored Stanford Hostel (farm) and the restored town of Boston. This is truly gem in the heart of the midwest. Wireless Internet as well !!!!!

I would also note that the town of Hudson Ohio, 6 miles from the Inn, has, in my opinion, has one of the best restaurants east of Chicago and west of New York. Downtown 140..right on Main St. Order the smallest and small plates..they are the best items on the menu.

Unless you like fried, avoid the Winking Lizard in Peninsula. It's interesting in that it is/was a very old nightclub. It is fantastic for beer but the food is only average.

G & K Hoy..Thanks again..we will be seeing you soon !!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Richfield
Baymont Inn & Suites Boston Heights/Hudson
Days Inn & Suites Richfield
Holiday Inn Express Cleveland-Richfield

Been to Inn at Brandywine Falls? Share your experiences!