“Awesome getaway !”
Review of Bay Lodging Resort

Bay Lodging Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Put in Bay
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My sister and I visited Put in Bay and had an awesome time. We had a great time driving the golf cart and visiting all the island attractions. The food was great, especially Austin's walleye fish dinner and Pascouli's diner. Bay Lodging provided a nice room for the money and was very professional, taking care of any need we may have during our stay.

• Stayed: July 2009

Reviewed May 10, 2009

It was our first trip to Put in Bay, so we didn't know what to expect. We tried to book a special deal at Put in Bay Resort, but we couldn't get the deal there, so we were offered Bay Lodging, which they also run. It was a little further from the docks and town, but only about 2 or 3 blocks which you can walk to if you get off at the Jet Express docks. A little tought to find, but found it while carrying our bags. Lady (Lisa) was very nice and friendly. Rooms are normal room with a smaller bathroom, but all we needed. They were very clean. Pool wasn't opened yet, but we had access to the Put in Bay resort which was only a couple of blocks in a golf cart. No breakfast there, but again was allowed to go to the Put in Bay Resort for theirs, which made it a little crowded there. Overall, good experience and would do it again. Pool was supposed to open soon after we left which was the only disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2008

They offered a family room or something like that. The price per night was $ 418.13 and it was a single space one tiny bathroom, the sink in the middle of the room. The king size bed had one night table with a microwave on it.
Bad experience that costed us almost $ 1,000.00 for two nights.
they put two queen size beds plus the king size plus the sink in the middle of the room (not fridge) plus a TV nobody could see it and a table with two chairs everything in an L shape room.
No breakfast included. You should buy a cup of coffee...For that price I was almost angry.
Bad and expensive.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Likeathomeapartment
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We stayed here for long weekends about a week or so prior to the start of the summer season (which is typically at the end of June every year) in both June of 2006 and June 2007. Going before the season starts is definitely beneficial when it comes to cost, and saved us a decent amount of money. The weather is perfectly warm in June, so I'd recommend trying to beat the season if you can -- it's also little less crowded on the island.

Both years there were eight of us and we reserved two two-bedroom suites right next door to each other. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with plenty of space - nothing fancy, but definitely included the basic necessities. Each suite contains one bedroom with a double bed and a second bedroom with two single beds. Since our group consisted of four couples, the single beds weren't the greatest situation, but I can see how it would be an ideal setup for families with children. However the second year, by a happy accident, we ended up in suites 5 and 7 (I'm not sure that suite 6 is actually a suite - it seems like it was some sort of storage) and found out that suite 7 is actually a two-story endeavor with the two bedrooms on the first floor and the kitchen, living area and bathroom on the second floor. The biggest bonus was that the living area is roughly twice the size of the living areas in the other two-bedrooms suites and didn't cost any more. The downside is that the bedrooms are downstairs and the bathroom is upstairs. The upside, though, is that I believe that this suite had a double bed in each room, so there were no single beds to deal with (unfortunately for my fiancee and I, we were the odd-couple-out stuck in suite 5 in the single beds!).

Part of our intention in getting rooms with full kitchens was that we cooked most of our meals in our rooms (we have a couple of guys in our group who consider themselves amateur chefs, so we weren't exactly doing hotdogs and hamburgers). And despite the hotel's "no alcohol" policy (which is a ridiculous way to get you to buy the overpriced drinks they sell at their bar), we did bring our own (and a lot of it) and no one gave us a hard time. It must be noted, however, that not only were we in the two-bedroom suites that each have their own outside entrances (I'm not sure how the entrance to the regular hotel rooms work), but we also showed up with multiple coolers full of food in addition to our beverage coolers, which probably worked as some camoflauge. One additional note; every time we go to PIB we do eat lunch at the Boardwalk restaurant which has the best lobster bisque I've ever had in my life.

I can't offer any opinion of the pool or bar area because we didn't use them either time we were there. If you like a good pool and swim up bar, go downtown to Splash! which is behind the Grand Islander hotel. It's a public pool, so you don't have to be a guest at the hotel to play. I'd recommend, as it's a lot of fun (at least in the off-season it's not that crowded -- it could be a whole different story in the heat of July).

As far as location goes, it's not in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the center of PIB, but it's only about a five to seven minute walk downtown and an even faster golf cart ride (we rented two four-man golf carts each year - the eight-person carts are really large and unwieldy) and not being in the middle of town means it's also a lot quieter.

I'd recommend the hotel as a good place to stay for families or groups like ours who like their share of partying, but like it quiet when it's time to hit the sack.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I stayed at the Bay Lodging Resort which is affiliated with the Put-in-Bay Resort and Conference Center (same ownership) but is about a 10 minute walk away and in a separate building. The hotel changed to this ownership within the last year or so.

The hotel was clean. My room had new carpet. It was very sparsely decorated. The room was fairly small but adequate. It had a very good air conditioner. The sink was extremely small and barely had room for a shaving kit bag. The water was hot and there was plenty of it. There was no wireless internet service.

The hotel building is pretty hard to find unless you have a good map. It is within a 10 minute walk of most places of interest on the island.

The check-in was extremely slow but the staff was pleasant. I was there for 2 mid-week nights in the middle of August and the hotel was very quiet with no loud partying. I don't know if that would be true on a weekend or not.

The cost was $150/night with tax and that was with a Conference Rate. This hotel was adequate and I don't have any complaints except no wireless internet. Because of that and the tiny sink I'll probably try to stay at the actual conference center the next time I'm on the island.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TravelingMan446
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Don't believe the website. "In the summer of 2000, we added 28 new hotel rooms" must mean they painted and kept the same 1970's Kmart furniture. Upon check in we were told we could get a bucket of ice from “our friendly snack bar staff" at the poolside bar. I went with my bucket and after some time in ignore mode, I was able to ask for some ice. I was told "no", end of conversation. For $450 a night for a 2 room suite, you should not have to pay $2.00 for a bag of ice. "Each 2 bedroom unit is spacious, air conditioned", yes our unit had 3 small window AC units, only 1 actually blew out cool air, and I roasted miserably all night. The "fully equipped kitchen" has 1 pot, 1 pan, toaster, microwave, and coffee pot (no coffee). The room was neat but not clean. The furniture needed cleaning, bad. I’d recommend covering the sofa and chairs with sheets before you use them, but bring your own. The towels were well used but clean, and the bathroom did have soap and shampoo. The grounds are cluttered with “junk”. “We do rent golf carts on site”, but none were “available” and no alternative suggestions were offered. Normally I would have complained or offered constructive criticisms to a manager at check out, but I sensed it would have just been a waste of time. Too bad, the place has a lot of potential.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank gtnjy
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We went here for a bachelorette party - booked a 3 bedrm suite through their website. when we got their we went to our room which was anormal hotel rm with 3 beds crammed into it. it was clearly supposed to be a 2 bed room bc there were 2 head boards on the wall and the 3 beds made them off centered. also it says there was a swim up bar...the pool was small and the bar was not swim up. on our last day we found ants on the a/c. the only good part of it was the bartender was extremely nice and they have a security guard on duty at all times so you feel safe.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Commodore Resort
Commodore Resort
#3 of 7 in Put in Bay

Been to Bay Lodging Resort? Share your experiences!