“Do not waste your money here!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Bay Lodging Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Put in Bay
Clarington, Ohio, United States
“Do not waste your money here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I had high hopes for a nice get away vacation for my husband and I. When we got to this hotel and saw the room I was totally shocked and could not believe that i was charged this huge rate for nothing but a box. The room was like a hospital room. So small and so uncomfortable. Not even as much as a box of tissues in the rooms. It was so awful I did not think I could stay in the room due to my fear of close places. My husband tried to work out another room for us to stay in but the hotel staff was so unreasonable. They would not accomodate us even though they had rooms available. It was the worst vacation of my life. Unbelievable overcharge of the rooms. do not even make a reservation here. TV did not work either. Terrible stay. The pictures on the website do not portray what these rooms really are. I am sorry I ever booked a room there.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel completely. Do not go here......
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Robyn M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Hamilton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This place was was close to being nothing more than a frat house for nightly rent, though, if you're into that and don't mind laying out BIG BUCKS for an average to below average room at best, then, go for it, you'll love it...all decked out for the Buckeye fan in all of them...

Room Tip: get a B&B or something off the island, from what I could tell, ALL the rooms were IMMENSELY expe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill P
Hamilton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel July 22 and 23, 2012. Room was on 2nd floor of detached building. Our experience overall was very good! Easy check-in and a nice cool and clean room greeted us (very hot outside at the time). Our room was clean, had plenty of towels, TP, soap & shampoo, iron & ironing board, refrigerator, etc. The beds were also very comfortable.

We only needed room serviced one day because of our short stay. We left to go view the butterfly house and the winery and when we returned our room was clean. Our only disappointment was the cleaning person did not wipe out the tub, which was fairly dirty from wearing sandals. Again, this was so minor that we just ignored it. All other room details were just what you would expect from a decent hotel. As some reviewers noted, the rooms are not huge. I'm not sure what the other rooms are like, but ours was decent sized and would have been good even for a family of 4.

Of course we were out late celebrating my Bday and listening to some really good bands, so we barely made it to the continental breakfast. But we did manage to get down there just before 10am. We thought the breakfast was pretty nice. Even though it was almost 10am, two staff members were still checking on items and refilling the milk. The bagel, cereal, and ice cold milk was great and all we really needed for breakfast.

We also had a drink at the bar one afternoon and the bartender was very friendly! There were a few people swimming and the pool looked very clean.

During our stay we noticed the staff to be very friendly and seemed to be hard at work trying to satisfy their customers. Each morning we also saw workers outside picking up trash and doing general maintenance. Our room was cool and comfortable, had very little noise, and the location was excellent (right between downtown and the family activity center such as the butterfly house, cave, putt putt, gem mining, etc.)

We have done extensive traveling all over the U.S. staying in many nice hotels and several dumps, so we know what we like. This hotel is a good hotel with friendly staff!!
We had a really great time on the island and will definitely consider staying at this hotel again when we return.

Room Tip: 2nd floor of detached building
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank T F
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I just recently stayed for Christmas in July, and upon arrival the the front desk general manager was rude. She gave us attitude and was very unfriendly. The rooms are extremely small and the the air conditioner leaks. The staff is so rude and they charge you an arm and a leg. The only cool thing about this place is that it is Buckeye themed. I will never stay there again.

8 Thank Cora C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely the worse hotel experience of my life. Room was the size of a closet. They did not clean our room the first 2 days. And when they finally did they left the door wide open for who knows how long. And to top it off the air conditioner leaked all over the floor and our luggage. Needless to say we left our honeymoon a day early cause we couldn't deal with it and our clothes were ruined. When checking out I expressed my causes for concern to the staff and they could care less. STAY AWAY

• Stayed July 2012
7 Thank McKnight911
North Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I just returned today from a 2 night stay at Bay Lodging and felt I had to write a review. My friend and I were thrilled to spend a few nights here and our stay was wonderful. I was very skeptical after reading the negative reviews others have left, but I think your experience depends on what you're looking for. The front desk staff was great and very helpful. The pool and tiki bar area were very clean and we enjoyed catching some early morning rays. Our double queen room was great and clean. As others have said, the location is nice because it is not loud and rowdy like some other places downtown. The only negative thing we experienced was arriving after the golf cart rentals near the jet express had closed and so we had to walk all our luggage to the hotel, but obviously that is not the hotel's fault! Golf cart rental on site at the hotel was a definite plus! I will absolutely stay at Bay Lodging in the future! Thanks for the great service!!!

2 Thank Jennifer K
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

My friends and I found our stay to be a very pleasant one at Bay Lodging :-) The young people working the front desk were very friendly and knowledgeable about the hotel and the island, especially, Kevin, TJ and Chris. We stayed in the three queen bed suite, it was very clean and stocked with the essentials. The pool was also clean and the Buckeye bar is a nice perk. The location of the hotel is great because it is close to downtown, but far enough away from the traffic and nightlife atmosphere. The only downside was the layout of the room, but that can't be changed AND we spend very little time in room while visiting PIB. In the past, we have stayed at the Commodore and Edgewater and this hotel was much more impressive that those!

1 Thank Happy_Traveler723
Bay L, Manager at Bay Lodging Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for the nice review and we are glad that you had an enjoyable experience. We pride ourselves on having the friendliest staff on the island and are glad that the "front desk boys" made a favorable impression. Our staff arrives early every day to make sure the exterior of the property is clean and the pool is sparkling for early morning sun-bathers and swimmers. The Buckeye Tiki Bar has been known to open as early as 8am for those in need of a Bloody Mary as well. On future visits, please feel free to call the hotel and we can arrange to have you quickly picked up at the ferry boat upon your arrival either by our own taxi/shuttle (weekends) or by another company (midweek). Thanks again and we hope to see you back with us again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Put in Bay
South Beach Resort Hotel
South Beach Resort Hotel
#2 of 3 in Marblehead
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Bay Lodging Resort? Share your experiences!