“Clean and Friendly”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Put in Bay
Harriet's House & Island Suites
Fremont, Ohio, United States
“Clean and Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I've had the pleasure of staying at Harriet's House for the past 11 years for an annual girls trip over to Put-in-Bay. We have always had a great time laughing, talking and enjoying cool beverages on the table outside. On these trips we've always stayed at the quaint and very clean house. Because of the wonderful experiences I've had over the years I have made additional trips over with couples, sometimes staying in the suites and other times the townhouses. All of which are in top-notch condition. On EVERY visit (close to 20!), I've found the owners to be extremely friendly. They definitely take pride in their property and you can be confident you will have an awesome experience if you choose Harriet's House for your stay at Put-in-Bay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kelly S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Perrysburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Harriet's house is a wonderful place to stay. I have known the owners and their two girls for years and when I heard they were starting this I knew it would be well run and CLEAN! They are wonderful and highly respected people. I have seen them accomplish so much but I'd have to say this is one of their best adventures yet! Me and my girlfriends have been staying in the house for 11 or 12 years, it's our annual trip. We have been coming every year since they opened except we missed the first. Cannot imagine staying any where else. I have also come with a group of couples and stayed in the suites and also with my children. From a family vacation or a partying time with adults this is great place to stay and has a great location. Not right in downtown so off the beaten path but so close you can walk everywhere. You are also in walking distance to several pool/bars. They are wonderful owners, enjoyable to see and very respectful to their guests. Highly recommend staying here. Me and my GF look forward to it every year! Thanks Denny & Linda for all the great times!! Jami

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 84Jami
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

First of all let me start by saying this place is very nice and very clean. But it is totally not worth the headache of being stressed and worried about getting in trouble the whole time, I felt like I was being watched the entire trip. I went with a group of 10 of my friends for a bachelorette party. We are all women in our 30's and very mature and not a crazy group (we were in bed by midnight every single night). We were hardly in our room but to get ready and to sleep so we were never loud or distruptive. We stayed in the suites which was nice because we were all next door to each other. But, the owners are way controlling. I realize that this is an investment of theirs but I am a very responsible person and we were not tearing things up or being disrepectful at all.
I had friends that came up to hang out with us for a little bit and they were staying back in Port Clinton so instead of riding the ferry back and forth after being at the pool to change out of their wet clothes, I told them it was fine to throw a bag in our room and change in our bathroom. I paid for the place afterall, I think I should be able to let someone use my bathroom. And when we changed and went out one of the girls came and told me there was a notice on our door saying we were going to be asked to leave if "unregistered" guests were in there. OKAY they were CHANGING clothes. They had their own place to stay and it was no big deal they were in and back out in 10 minutes. I was unaware that you werent allowed to have visitors during the day even, and I felt like my dad was yelling at me for having boys in my bedroom again. haha I am not paying extra or getting kicked out over that. So I went up to talk to the owner and I assured him they were only changing and I promised they had their own place to sleep they just didn't want to pay the ferry to go back and forth 4 times. He said okay but he didnt want it to turn into a "sorority/fraternity party." I take offense to that because my group of girls I was with is a very respectful and mature group, we aren't a bunch of crazy college girls so please do not refer to me as that, you dont know me.
Anyways, I let all of that unreasonable drama go and went on with my evening of fun with my friends. We all were back in the room and went to bed and my other friends picked up their bags and left. In the middle of the night our door opened and I thought it was a friend of mine going outside but when we all woke up everyone asked who left the room. No one did.
The next day one of our keys came up missing. We could not figure out how because we had them under the mat in the entryway because there is a code on the door and the other room was my friends so we were safe to leave them under the rug. We were not supposed to check out until Monday, but on Sunday we all decided to go ahead and check out and head back. We walked to the office to tell the owner we had lost a key and we owed him $10 for a lost key. He acted very caught off guard and said "Which one are you missing? oh, oh I have your key, you guys left it in the door last night and I didnt think that was a good idea." First of all, if you left a note on our door once, why couldnt you leave a note saying you had our key from it being left in the door before we tore the whole room apart looking for it? And secondly, like I said there is a code to even get into the building and we knew everyone staying in the building, so we were not unsafe even if it was in the door. I am sorry to accuse, but I am pretty positive that the owner (a man) seriously took our key and opened our door to look in in the middle of the night to see if my other friends were in the room. He thought he had the rest of the day to put the key back before we would realize it was gone because we werent supposed to check out until the next day. To me, that is NOT okay and I am very upset about this happening. A man does not need to come into a room of women without knocking and especially in the middle of the night. What if one of us was getting out of the shower or even sleeping in our underwear?! The owner also comes in to do a walkthrough before you leave and he made a comment like "Funny how messy this room was and now its all picked up!" How did you know our room was a mess if you didnt let yourself in? Because he was never in there when we were.
Also one of our friends took a cab back to the ferry before the rest of us left and the cab driver told her that rumor has it they have cameras in the rooms and stay up all night watching them. I don't know the truth to that because he almost doesnt need cameras he sits outside on his golfcart watching everyone come in and out all night long. I dont think that the man goes to bed ever because he is too busy trying to get people in trouble. I am very disgusted with this place and we will NEVER be back and it is sad because it is a very nice place. Owners are just on a little bit of a power trip and way paranoid that everyone is trying to "sneak" around and do things they aren't supposed to.
Sorry so long, I am just very dissapointed because it is a very very nice place to stay but we wont be back, and every bad review I have read is the exact same complaints that I have. But just wanted to let everyone know to hold onto your keys so you dont have anyone looking in your room in the middle of the night to make sure you arent doing anything you arent supposed to be.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank bach0307
Dennis R, Owner at Harriet's House & Island Suites, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and noting how clean and convenient our downtown Put-In-Bay lodging is. We are sorry your stay did not meet your expectations and wish to address and correct a few points in this review.

Harriet's House and Suites has been serving the needs of visitors to the island for more than a dozen years. During that time period we have had the opportunity to meet thousands of guests. Our guests have come from 36 different States and their ages have ranged from infants to 80 year olds celebrating life's journey. They come to the island for various and sundry reasons. Many come to party. Some come to escape the pressures of everyday living and enjoy a relaxed island atmosphere. Others celebrate some significant life event with us such as an impending wedding, anniversary, birthday or family reunion.

The vast majority of our visitors have expectations of us. They want a facility that is safe, clean, and well maintained. In order to meet these expectations, we have established a set of simple and straight forward rules. We require no smoking in our facilities, no excessive noise in the evening when returning from Put-In-Bay's nightlife and only registered guests are permitted in the building. These rules are communicated to our renters in the form of a contract that is sent out weeks before their visit and reviewed upon arrival to the island as they enter their rooms. If our guests feel the need to have an exception to the rules, the opportunity to discuss their concern is given at check-in.

The overwhelming majority of our customers love staying with us as verified by the fact that over 50 percent of our visitors return each year and book with us a year in advance. Unfortunately, some individuals that are uncomfortable staying at Harriet's House feel that rules do not apply to them. Over-occupying a lodging room is against the laws set in place by the Ohio State Fire Marshall and our Insurance. We enjoy conversing with our guests and only those who are attempting to take advantage of a situation feel that they are being watched.

In this particular situation, the owner found a room key in a door lock and for the safety of the guests, the key was removed from the door lock and put in safe keeping. And contrary to the "rumor" that has been expressed, Harriet's House does not have any security cameras on the property, be it inside a guest room or outside on the property. Neither of the owners have ever entered a guest room without permission of the renter. Further, each room is equipped with a chain lock security system to prevent unauthorized egress while the guests are inside their room.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is the third time I've stayed at Harriet's House in 4 years. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Denny and Linda are very nice. The best part however is the golf cart that comes with your room, it's yours for your stay, and is so much fun. So enjoyed driving it around and feeling the wind while looking at darling Put in Bay. Definitely would stay there again, hopefully soon.

Room Tip: They are all a different, just choose what you need and it will be fine.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Leechburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have been staying at Harriet's House for years. Usually my girlfriends and I rent the house and are always very happy with our experience. I just returned from a short get away to PIB. I stayed in the basement bungalow and was equally pleased. I have nothing bad to say about any of my visits to PIB and Harriet's House. It is always clean and well maintained. Denny and Linda are very easy to work with and I feel that they are very fair with their pricing. The property is centrally located and very convenient. I already have the house booked for a girl's trip in August.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Parma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My 1st experience staying at Harriet's House was in August 2012 & it was nothing short of WONDERFUL!
We were a party of "6" for a one-night stay & thanks to some good research of properties to stay on Put-in-Bay, I must give the credit to my sister for finding this place. We were promptly taken care of upon arrival to the property by Linda. The accommodations we were booked in were the newer suites, which were located behind the front house. Our suite was located on the 2nd floor & as we were preparing to open the door to our room, we were warmly greeted by owner Denny (Linda's husband), who was in the next room...I had no idea who this man was, because he was cleaning the suite next door, so I just figured he was a staff member ~ and when I say he was cleaning, let me be more descriptive~he was WASHING down the WALLS!!! We had a nice conversation with Denny & into our room we went...let me give you the all-you-need-to-know highlights of this fabulous place...CLEAN! You can tell the owners take pride in this place & it's superbly kept up...suite was SPACIOUS! All 6 of us adults stayed in this suite & there was ample room...2 queen beds, a pull-out sofa, etc...we had brought an Aero bed, so nobody slept on the pull-out bed, but again, plenty of room...AMENITIES! There was a kitchenette of sorts, I'll call it...nice-sized refrigerator (not a mini one) to keep your beverages & food cold & fresh (I think it had a freezer)...a nice sink area with counter space to prepare your goodies/drinks during your stay...nice toaster & coffee pot...these were nice, new appliances...you really felt like you had the nice little extras to make your stay that much more special. The bathroom was more than adequate...nice bathtub (again, CLEAN) & plenty of towels. The sink was outside the bathroom ~ nice counter space there & mirrored wall as well.
So I've read others reviews about lack of freedom, the owner keeping an eye on who is coming into the rooms, etc...I felt more COMFORTABLE knowing that! We didn't feel in anyway whatsoever that we were being watched & what not...This is absolutely not a place for partying, raucous patrons. That's one of the reasons we will be staying here & ONLY here during our future visits (not to mention the cleanliness~again, and PERFECT location)...there are plenty of other places for people to stay if they want the party atmosphere...we had an absolute wonderful time in our suite ~ and we did have the festivities going on in there, but we did so in a manner as not to be disruptive to the other guests staying there...it's a matter of respect & you can tell that the owners give that respect to their guests & equally it should be given back to them...I have nothing but POSITIVE things to say about this place & it gets my top rating ~ no doubt!
The owners were also nice enough to recommend a good show that evening (the group was Savannah Jack) & true to their word, they came to enjoy the music as well~they made a point to come over & greet us when they got there, which we thought was quite kind & personable.
The final highlight would be PRICE....I'm thinking it was around $160 or so...well worth it in my books because of the highlights I've mentioned above...you just can't go wrong staying here!
Check it out during your next visit to Put-in-Bay!

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor of the newer suites (they're named after the owner's kids!) I thin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristine W
Waterford, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Wow, we've stayed @ Harriet House 3 straight years now, and loved every minute of it!
Just a block from the strip, and right next door to 3 great swim-up pool bars .
We're a bunch of fun-loving, middle-age couples, who party-hearty. But we're not quite as crazy as some of the college crowd, who drink until sick or passed out, or bring extra friends & strangers home for a late night post-party.
The owners, Denny & Linda, are extremely hard-working & caring, but they're not as receptive to folks whose fun means breaking rules & furniture. So if you want a clean, affordable, well-maintained condo-style place...stay here. But if you want to sneak in a keg and invite every chick or dude over after the bars close, stay somewhere else.
Bottom line, is I love to party my A#% off, @ the pools & the strip, and then love to come home to the Harriet House, where I know I'll get some needed, quiet sleep & slow morning, in a secure place.

Room Tip: For good friends, stay in the multi-unit places. But for real privacy & quiet, stay in one of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Commodore Resort
Commodore Resort
#6 of 7 in Put in Bay

Been to Harriet's House & Island Suites? Share your experiences!