“helpful staff; poor maintenance”
Review of Islander Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Put in Bay
Islander Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Put in Bay B&B and Inns
Duluth, Minnesota
“helpful staff; poor maintenance”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

The staff at the hotel were very helpful; a bit overbusy at times, though. While the pool bar looked fine ( it was cool and rainy), the rooms were a bit shoddy; broken tiles in the bathroom, broken TV remote, shelf falling off the wall, broken door lock. It's late in the season, and they'll probably fix it up on the off-season, but really no excuse for all the shoddiness.

Room Tip: lots of rooms to look over the pool bars around, if you want more noise or people watching.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jschombe

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I've been visiting the Island for years, and the Islander Inn (and it's sister hotel, the Grand Islander) is my go-to place for a great time with my college buddies. It's on the back-side of a busy block, so after 9 or so it's really quiet and laid back. During the day, however, this is the place to be!

The room was pretty standard, beds are typical beds (queen/king), but the in-room coffee wasn't great so we went to the new little coffee shop over by the Grand Islander. We were able to rent a cart from the front desk, which was nice since we didn't want to hassle with the umpteen vendors on the island. We got one of the themed carts, which was pretty sweet.

Some tips from my travels on PIB:
> Bring suntan lotion
> Tip early, tip often
> Do not party in your room like you party in the bar, be a good neighbor
> No Open container in town
> HYDRATE! If you're hanging in the pool bar all day you can get really dehydrated between the heat and alcohol.

Room Tip: Party in the Bars, not the rooms. Rookies to the island always make this mistake.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Islander Inn over Labor Day weekend for 2 nights. The room is over priced, but so are all the rooms on the island. It was clean. The shower appeared to be brand new and the towels were soft. We checked in around 1:30 and hit the Splash pool bar. We had a great weekend and we will be back to visit the Islander Inn again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We went for a fun bachelor party weekend. We paid for two nights up front as they requested. From the moment we got there we were harrassed by the management for absolutely no reason!!!! Throughout the day they continued to approach us with ridiculous accusations. By day two it continued to the point where when we questioned their reasons for the harrassment they immediately called security which handled the situation with unecessary force. At one point a manager told one of my friends that they will have us out by 3 o clock.. This was true they had us out. The whole point was that they already had our room booked for another guest. We DID NOT get our money back for that night. They are SCAMMERS!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!! Thay are doing this on a weekly basis and making a fortune.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank mbly19214

Travelers are raving about these Put in Bay hotels

Reviewed August 22, 2011

This hotel was a nightmare. We walked into our room which was dirty. Only two towels and no washcloths. They let us in early like 12:00 which we thought was nice. We went out to spend the day at the pools. Around 5:00 I was sitting at Splashs poolside bar and my friends were trying to get my attention but I couldnt hear them. So my two friends went behind the bar to get me and next thing you know two guys were man handling them. Why couldnt they just say hey you cant be back here. The next thing you know the manager and 6 cops show up and evict us. We ask them why and they say that they dont need a reason. We left the whole island after that because we were so upset. Looking back I think they doublebook rooms and kick people out for more money. Our cab driver said that this happens everyday at that hotel. Do not stay there ever and another fyi the cops that work there are also jerks and I think they know whats going on. Never stay here!!!!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Abrielle12345
Southgate, Michigan
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I'll start this on a positive. The working staff at this hotel were really polite and each member greeted us when walking by. The customer service at the front desk was unacceptable. We over booked rooms and when we tried to cancel they would not work with us at all. They told us if we cancelled we would have to pay them more than the cost of keeping both rooms. The rooms are way over priced for what we received in return. The rooms had a strong musty smell and the carpets were soaked in places. We didn't even feel comfortable walking on the carpet with our bare feet. There was black mold in the bathroom. There was also black mold showing on the ceiling in the main room and also black mold down the corner seem of the wall. I didn't run any tests so I guess I can't say "black mold" but is was black and it was mold. I would not recommend this hotel. I know it has the large swim up bar. There are plenty other hotels and a great bar scene down town, which is better than the walk up bar.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank T M
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Zero customer service: ZERO! Dirty rooms and broken furniture. Dead bugs between bed sheets. One is not allowed with his/her own cooler inside their room.I felt like all businesses in put'n bay hate tourists. They want your money, as much as they can get from you but to give nothing of value back. I swear, I'll never spend another $ on this island, let alone at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Commodore Resort
Commodore Resort
#7 of 7 in Put in Bay

Been to Islander Inn? Share your experiences!