“Nothing great!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Put in Bay
Boardman, Ohio
“Nothing great!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

My family and I spent one night at the Put-In-Bay Resort in July and came away thinking if we were to come back to the island in 2015 it won't be at this hotel. Someone wrote that the hotel needs friendlier people to work there. That person is 100% correct. Every time I asked a question either before we arrived there and called by phone, or when we were at the hotel, it is as if we had to bow down to them and kiss their feet for a response! On top of that, the hotel and outdoor bar had a dingy look that wasn't worth the price we paid for the room. Don't get me wrong, Put-in-Bay is a wonderful island getaway that a family or single person can have a great time during the summer. But, if we do return, we would stay at a bed and breakfast home vs. this hotel. Just not worth it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank dudec

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is actually my second time staying at this hotel. The first time was last August for a bachelorette party. I wasn't impressed, but didn't really expect much either. Our room was nice actually, and the pool is a lot of fun. The DJ really gets the crowd going. But both last year and this year, the hotel makes your write down each person's name that is staying in your room, which I felt was odd and sort of an invasion of privacy. This year we also had to wear these ugly green wristbands the ENTIRE weekend to prove that we were staying there, and not one person ever checked to see if we had one on after getting them the first day, so I'm not sure what the point was. When we checked in, all of that made me feel really uncomfortable, like I was about to go to prison instead of have a nice getaway weekend. Also, right after we checked in we were waiting for a couple others to come and the rest of our luggage to get across the ferry in our car. so when the car finally did arrive we started bringing in our bags and coolers and food, etc. Since there were 8 of us going to be staying, we had both guys and girls in our room, we brought an extra mattress pad in case someone did not want to share a bed. I'm an engaged female, so I definitely did not want to share a bed with a guy. This mattress pad looks like a rolled up sleeping bag. You can put it on top of a bed for extra comfort or if needed on the ground. So the moment we brought that out, someone from the hotel swarmed over to the room and said "we were watching you unpack and I know you have an airmattress here, so you will need to give it to us so we know you are not trying to have extra people stay in your room."

First, of all, after being banded, and our names taken down immediately, I was already uncomfortable, and now they have people watching people unpack their cars? Talk about CREEPY! Like, do you want people to come back to your facility? Do you want people to enjoy themselves? This place clearly does not. We also asked about a couple of friends that were staying at a different place, if we could invite them over, and they said NO! The other people would be allowed in the pool area of the hotel, but not in our room! So we basically couldn't see our friends for fear the hotel staff would be watching us like hawks and get us in trouble for lettign a friend use our bathroom or something. Also, the TV in our room sucked and didn't get a clear picture, there were sheets on the beds and no blankets, and the hotel offers a continental breakfast every day EXCEPT SATURDAY. Like, what is that? Are you that cheap? I assume that most people come up for the weekend so they are the most busy Friday-Sunday, why can't you still offer your guests some food on Saturday? I find that pretty ridiculous. I think I've been to Put-In-Bay enough times to not need to go back for a while, but if I ever do I will not stay here.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel, but still come to this one's pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Put in Bay hotels

Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

This place is so not worth the money. Old bedding - dirty carpets - and curtains that did not close completely. Nothing has been updated for years. Smells moldy and really needs friendlier people working there. The meeting room was not designed with a large group in mind.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
9 Thank codered099
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

My boyfriend booked our room on the resort website. He received confirmation via email, printed, and we took the ferry and bikes to the island. At check-in, we were told that the website made a mistake and gave us a room when the whole hotel was actually booked, "Sometimes this happens." As they kindly screwed us over, they said they would set us up in a suite at a sister hotel a bit further from downtown. This did not turn us on as we didn't need a suite for one night; we wanted the location of just a block from the main drag. We ended up not having a choice, and took the suite for the same price as the room at the resort. They refused to try to pad the blow with at least a small monetary compensation. When we got to the suite (5ish blocks from the main drag), we found a dirty, 2 bedroom room with a kitchen. We needed none of this. And, it was so dirty, the couches were stained to the point that we would not sit in them. My boyfriend and I decided to make the best of the situation rather than spend our one evening there fighting with the resort staff. I called when we got home and was kindly told by the "front desk manager" that she needed to check into the story but that nothing would probably happen as far as compensation was concerned. She was supposed to get back to me 5 days ago - nothing. I also wrote the hotel - no response. They simply have enough business that they can get away with screwing people over. I also don't believe all of the wonderful reviews on this site. I've stayed in the hotel once before and it's simply fine as far as cleanliness goes. Great location, no doubt, but they refused to make their mistake right. We won't ever support this business again.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Cindy L
pibohmark, Owner at Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
We are sorry that an overbooking occured as they rarely do. It is our policy when this haapens to upgrade our customer to a larger room when possible. In reviewing this with the management on duty during your stay, there was no mention by you that your accomdations were not acceptable. We are sorry that we failed to meet your expectations and regret our mistake.
Findlay, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

After purchasing a package thru Groupon ..we arrived on a Sunday at the resort..be advised it is a bit of a walk from the ferry or jet express so you may want to book a shuttle if you are bringing much luggage...The front desk staff although extremely busy was nice enough to let us store our luggage and give us our golf cart key so we could take off to explore..The room was nice other than the sink drain was extremely slow..My only complaint is that the pool appears to be open to the public...which brought in a lot of people taking up space that were not staying at the hotel and turned the pool area into a bit of a meat market..however with that being said the package they offered on groupon was a great deal...and we would definately purchase one again..

Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was our 3rd annual summer trip and a very disappointing one, at that. The negatives began when we arrived at check-in. We asked if we could have the same room as last year or one close by (as we were told previously via phone to ask at check-in) and were told, rather rudely, that they do not guarantee rooms and since we booked online, the room was pre-assigned and they could not change it. For what it's worth, I'm quite sure it would have taken two clicks of the mouse to switch our room with someone that hadn't checked in yet. But they refused. Instead, we had a lovely room next to the elevator with a view of the pop machine. Upon entering the room, the air was stale and musty. After further investigation, we determined it was not the bedding, it was in fact the carpet. Must've been vomit, urine, spilled liquor and beer, or a combination of. We survived the stench by spraying perfume and cologne on paper towels and sticking them in the a/c vent (which didn't work, by the way. The fan would run but didn't blow cold enough air to cool the room. Maintenance was called, came promptly, twisted some wires and said we were good. Still didn't work). There was a hole in the wall behind the door, the tub drain wouldn't function (so, no bath) and the window screen was half popped out and letting bugs fly in (which explained the bug collections in the upper wall corners). Our room keys were temperamental and would sporadically stop working. Both had to be reprogrammed at one point after getting locked out.

We've been loyal PIB Resort customers but I'm thinking will try someplace different next time. Service has gone down hill and the rooms have never been so disappointing. Good luck if you find a great deal but I expected better for over $250/night.

6 Thank tbrown1879
Youngstown, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Did an old girl's get-a-away. Really excited to get together with friends who rarely see each other. We had a luxury suite for two nights. While we were on exploring the island after the first night, we came back to the hotel to find out they gave our room away. But the worst part....they packed our personal belongings, mixing all of our things. We spent hours sorting through everything. They gave us another room for the last night but completely ruined our trip. We have been traveling for years...together, separately with our spouses and we have never experienced anything this horrible. One of our friends use to be a flight attendant and traveled all over the world. This was a very sad experience. To make matters worst the reservation manager, Amy, was very snippy, not respectful, and not apologizing at all. The owner needs to remove her. She is not suitable for that position. It was the housekeeping and maintenance staff that was the nicest and most respectful to us. I worked in business all my life. The owner, Mark, needs to review who is running the ship while he is not there.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
19 Thank judipep
pibohmark, Owner at Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review oyur stay. In reviewing your reservation it was made thru a third party and they had only booked you for one night. The room you had was booked by another grooup for the additional night you wanted to stay. Fortunately we were able to find you another rrom type and we are sorry for the inconvenience. This is one reason we strongly engourage out guests to book directly with the hotel and not a thrid party to insure we deliver what you are in fact wanting to book.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Put in Bay
#1 of 3 in Marblehead
Island Club
Island Club
#2 of 4 in Put in Bay

Been to Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!