“Disappointed”

The Boathouse Bar and Grill
Ranked #18 of 37 Restaurants in Put in Bay
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Warren, Ohio
“Disappointed”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We went there in the evening for our 25th anniversary. The waitress was great. We ordered the fried potato chips, a small pizza and a basket of chicken wings and when it arrived the wings were not thoroughly cooked. The outer skins were still soft, not golden and the insides were very pink, nearly raw, bloody and cold. I nicely showed the waitress and she brought them back to the kitchen. I NEVER send food back but this was an obvious health risk. She returned a few minutes later to tell me that the cook stated they were fully cooked and were supposed to look like that. She seemed just as shocked as I was and asked if I wanted something else to which I declined. It took longer for the cook to disagree than it would have to refry them or cook another batch. I would be very leery of eating there if the cooks don't know or seem to not care about the basics of cooking chicken (salmonella), especially chicken wings which are fairly easy. It was during a weeknight about 10 PM, we weren't in any hurry because they had live music and it was not busy so there shouldn't have been any reason for the cook to have rushed the order out of the fryer. All he had to do was apologize, make it right but instead decided to disagree.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Laurie B

Columbus , Ohio
“Amazingly slow service”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

One understands up front that this is not a fast food restaurant, so fast service isn't expected. However this place gives new meaning to the words slow service. Food is okay, but not worth the wait. Doesn't matter if they are crowded, or very few customers, this place is best if you are wanting to sit for awhile. Even getting a server to your table takes awhile, and drink service is slow too. Probably will skip this place next time.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank buckeyetraveler75
Cleveland, Ohio
“READ THIS BEFORE YOU GO”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

To agree with the post below, the food was absolutely amazing. Good portions, good ingredients, not too greasy or soggy, but crisp and clean. For it being the first week of opening under new management, I give them tons of credit. Of course the service was not extremely fast (even though I had no problems) but to counter the ignorant comments below, a 10 person party is not easy to serve, and if you noticed the lack of staff there, the first week of opening always yields unpredictable turnouts and all the restaurant use college students for staffing. Therefore, if you would have asked they had three people in the kitchen and three people on the floor. Service times based on that alone were excellent, not to mention the quality food. The service times always get better come the second and third weeks after opening and I can't complain at all.

The atmosphere is amazing! Great sound and live performances, a nautical theme with big boats in the restaurant. Three big bars and toms of fun people. This is the only spot I will ever eat on the island and it has the lake views, open park space, and entertainment all on the strip while you wait to eat.

This is definitely a premier place to eat for the island experience with good prices and better food. The other places on the island are typical grimey bars with drunk fools while this fits for a cool bar & grill that is great for feeding and entertaining all ages.

The menu on this website is not updated but the good won't disappoint. If you're a regular or a tourist, the decision to have lunch or dinner at the boathouse is already made. SEE YOU THERE!

• Visited April 2014
Massillon, Ohio
“Good food but very slow”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

At first we were told it would be a 10 minute wait with a number of empty tables. Our server never introduced herself and rarely came back to check on our table. It also took an hour for our order, and then only one out of 8 got their order. She was nearly finished with her meal when 5 of the orders came out. The final 2 orders came out about 10 minutes later.

• Visited April 2014
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
“Hearty Helpings”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I purchased a Put-in-Bay package through Channel 3 WKYC, the local NBC affiliate in Cleveland. It included a $25.00 Certificate for The Boathouse on Put-in-Bay, so this is where our family ate.

They have outdoor seating, which is where you want to dine when eating there with family. Since this is also a bar, the indoors is more suited to large groups and the bar scene. Seating inside consists of booths, high-top tables & chairs and picnic tables. There was also live entertainment, a solo song & guitar act that performed in a niche built into the wall.
The menu has apps, salads, sandwiches, burgers and lots of seafood options. We had about a ½ hour wait for outside seating and used the time to peruse the menu.

The teenager in our group set his sights on the Schooner Somers ($12.95) which consisted of a 10 oz. burger topped with pulled pork, cheese, coleslaw, lettuce and tomato - it also came with house cut fries and a pickle spear. The presentation was picture-worthy and he devoured it long-before we finished our meal so I’d say it was a hit.

The twenty-something, vegetarian (that also eats seafood) ordered the Shrimp Po Boy ($10.95). The YuengLing- battered shrimp is placed on a bed of shredded lettuce and tomato slices and is served on a crunchy hoagie roll. She requested the spicy remoulade on the side because she wasn’t sure if it would be too spicy – it wasn’t. She said the crispy coating was flavorful and the shrimp was nice and juicy. The sandwich didn’t come with fries, so I gave her some that came with my meal. She also ordered a Bloody Mary, which she enjoyed. Just enough savory spice and served with a celery stick and a lemon and lime slice.

Now to my order: Again, while waiting, I took the opportunity to ask questions about items on the menu. I asked the hostess what the difference was between the Walleye Sandwich ($14.95) and the Walleye Basket ($19.95) other than the $5.00 price. She noted that the Sandwich comes on a roll and the Basket comes with two huge pieces of fish. When I asked about sharing, she recommended it and said there wasn’t a split charge. I ordered the Walleye Basket and was glad that I ordered only one entrée for me and my fiancé. It came with 2 very large pieces of beer battered fillets, served with house-cut fries, coleslaw and house-made tartar sauce. The food came out already divided in two, which I really appreciated. The piece was huge and got to be a bit much about ½ way through. I started picking off the coating and only eating the fish. It was very good, don’t get me wrong, it was just too much fried food for me.

The service was a little slow, but the hostess told me they were a little short in the kitchen, so we were prepared and could have left if this was going to be an issue. The server we had was friendly and did a fine job and I really appreciated everything coming out split, including the fries and coleslaw. Overall, it was a good experience and would consider eating there again, but would most likely try one of the other restaurants on the island, just for a change.

• Visited August 2013