“The swim-up bar was spectacular!”
Review of Edgewater Hotel

Edgewater Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Put in Bay
Cleveland, Ohio
“The swim-up bar was spectacular!”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed at the Edgewater this past weekend and highly recommend it. Hannah at the front desk was more than helpful!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank LightSleeper_22

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We rented moped at this hotel for a two hour tour of the island. The employee at the hotel/rental shop was horribly rude to all guests. She was aburpt and was not interested in giving full answers to guest. She also did not make eye contact through the entire transaction. Hopefully some day she will realize how much of a rude person she is.

The moped rental was $12 per hour, per bike. The mopeds were beat up and looked like they needed replaced. We could not get one to start, so we traded it for another one. We got both to start and headed on our way. We were not offered a map or direction on the island, which I though was negative.

Touring around the island was fun, but the moped conveniently stopped and would not restart at the other end of the island. The moped acted as if it was out of gas. I returned to the shop to have an employee come out to pick up my stranded partner. The same girl argued with me about the how the mopeds were filled with gas and we probably could not start the bike on our own. With some help from another island visitor the bike restarted, but we were not comfortable with adventuring back out.

We paid for the hour we rented, but felt we did not get our money's worth. I would highly recommend using another rental company or not renting mopeds entirely. Working in a service industry town you would think these employees would be more customer friendly. I am fairly sure good service to guest, results in better business and possible tips. I was sure to tip the golf cart attendent for his help we later rented from another company.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank dmcurtis

Travelers are raving about these Put in Bay hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Do not stay here! First after we checked in we arrived to our room only to find it was already occupied. Immediately went downstairs to let the front desk know and they said...Oh yeah those people won't leave. We left our bags and gave them an hour or so to figure out the room situation. After arriving back they assured us the room was now ready and that they had placed our bags there for us. Well they placed our bags in a different room so after finding them we were able to change. Only to have a strange man walk in on me changing in my room! The same man that occupied the room before. It now came to my attention that they still had 3 keys to the room. It took almost all afternoon to clear this up and fix the key situation. And I never truly felt safe! No apology at all from hotel!! No consideration to the fact that hours of our short vacation were ruined because of their incompetent staff.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
9 Thank lt2melissa
Ohio
Reviewed September 29, 2009

I made reservations at the Edgewater specifically because I wanted a room that was right on the strip. When I arrived, I was informed that the Edgewater was full, and they had moved me to another hotel, which was over a mile away from downtown! The hotel they moved me to was completely unacceptable, but there was no reduction in the rate I was charged, and no consideration for the inconvenience.

The staff was very rude and did not seem to care at all that my planned vacation was being ruined. They said that "the Edgewater only has a few rooms, and this happens all the time, but that a lot of people like the other hotel better". I was so upset, I decided not to stay there, but the hotel refused to even give a refund on the room, and I was forced to dispute the charge with my credit card, even though I did not end up spending a single night in their hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
8 Thank platinum25
Lancaster, OH
Reviewed August 16, 2009

My wife and I wanted to experience the atmosphere of Put-in-Bay. After reading several negative reviews, I was pleasantly surprised to find a friendly staff and a clean, spacious, well-maintained room. In fact, it appeared that our unit had been refurbished quite recently.

Our experience got off to a great start when we hooked up with one of the hotel owners on the ferry ride to the island. The hotel owner gave us a ride to the hotel from the ferry landing, saving us a cab fare.

We paid $125 (about $140 total including taxes) for a one night stay (Thursday), which included the use of a golf cart. Overall, it was a good value considering the hotel is the center of activity. There is a live band that plays in the next door bar, but it did not bother us. Beware, there is no pool if that is important to you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Damon60
Harrison Ohio
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Just got back from Put in Bay, Ohio. This was my 1st trip there. I am a travel agent with 24 years experience. I have stayed in some very posh hotels and have also stayed in some dumps. I was pleasantly surprised with the Edgewater. The rooms were clean and very spacious. The 1st night we were there we stayed in one of the suites. Very roomy! The 2nd night we had to switch rooms (I was aware of this from the beginning, no surprise) the 2nd room was not a suite and was surprised how spacious. The 1st night we stayed in room 3 and the 2nd room 6. Room 3 is on the 1st floor and had a back door. We parked out golf cart out back right next to our room. Very handy. The Edgewater is right in the middle of everything! I could walk to just about anywhere I wanted to go. Next door is Mr. Ed's. It is a bar and grille. Great food and happy hour prices. Try the Southwest Egg Rolls! In the Edgewater we could hear the band in our room but it wasn't so loud that it bothered us. We had a great time. We got a deal. $125.00 a night and that included a breakfast and golf cart. I was traveling with my husband and 2 friends whom we shared a room with. 2 other couples that went with us stayed at the Bay Shore. The rooms were beautiful and the hotel sits away from everything. The staff was rude! My friends said that the beds were horrible. They could feel the springs! THEY PAID $175.00 A NIGHT!!!!! And that didn't include the golf cart. They paid an additional $50.00 per day for the golf cart. My friend bought some wine at the winery and took it back to the Bay Shore and the staff wouldn't allow her to bring it to her room! Their is no alcohol allowed on the property except for the bar, where they want you to spend your money. Of course my friends didn't just because of the fact that they were so rude and the alcohol thing was ridiculous! They are now fighting with the owner to get 1/2 of their money back. The owner was also rude. They wanted to give them a credit for another stay but my friends said no, that there was no way they would go back! The staff even called a guest a profound name and my friends heard them. VERY, VERY RUDE!!!!! The Edgewater was very nice, the staff was awesome and I have never experienced an easier and faster checkin and checkout! On may way home from there, I called the hotel to check on availability for the fall. I loved it and plan to go back and will only stay at the Edgewater!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Harrison-honey
Dover, OH
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I realize that when calling to make reservations, the customer service representative we spoke with takes reservations for more than one hotel and may have inadvertently given us the wrong information, but this is the experience we had. When making reservations for our first stay at Put-In-Bay, we asked many questions concerning accommodations. The customer service representative was very helpful with information. When we were done speaking with her we decided on the Edgewater because of its location, the pool, and the availability of a room overlooking the pool. You are probably thinking “The Edgewater doesn’t have a pool and there are no rooms overlooking the pool”, which we found out upon our arrival. We also found out that our room was on the first floor, under the stairs, in what amounted to a stay in a garage with all the mopeds and golf carts right outside our door.
We expected to have a nice stay in a “Deluxe Room overlooking the shore” “with double vanities”. We expected a remote control with our TV, which the room did not have, and seemed to amaze the front desk. We expected a chair to sit in, which our room did not have. We expected a phone, which our room did not have. We expected internet access, which our room had, but as your front desk person told us, was down all weekend when we tried to use it. We expected a room overlooking the pool, which I have already mentioned above. In addition to these things we also had a terrible problem with gnats and mosquitoes in the room. Many of which you can probably still see in the upper right hand of the room in the spider webs where we had to swat them at night. For $251.00 a night we also did not expect to find a toilet with urine stains on the seat when we first arrived.
We have traveled to many places across the country and Put-In Bay is truly a beautiful place. We are used to paying a premium price for premium accommodations, which we feel we were SORELY, mislead on in this case.
We are not looking for a free hand out here; we are just trying to get what you advertised and what we paid for. It would be very much appreciated if you could refund our money, or give us a two night stay in the room that we were told we were getting.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Commodore Resort
Commodore Resort
#6 of 7 in Put in Bay

Been to Edgewater Hotel? Share your experiences!