“Worst Stay Ever” 1 of 5 bubbles

Island Club
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Worst Stay Ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

This has been the worst place I have ever stayed. I would have rather stayed at a Motel 6. The bunk beds were cheap metal that had been duct taped toether, the carpet smelled extremely bad. It looks as though there had been holes punched in the wall and patched up but never painted, there was a can opener from the 60s. We rented two houses and stayed two evenings, the second evening ended up renting a hotel room for the same price of this place and was much more satisfied with that experience. Will never go back and never recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay at one of the hotels!
4 Thank candice36

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We just returned from another fantastic weekend at Put-in-Bay. The weather was outstanding and so was the scenery! *wink, wink* For the third year in a row my buddies and I booked a place at the Island Club. The homes are great and give our group all the space we need. Had a blast! We want to thank Dottie for being so helpful. See you next year!

Room Tip: My best tip is stay at the Island Club if you want comfort and value.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Unfortunately, the customer service at the Island Club is unacceptable. After giving them $1,800, I would call and ask where were staying (i.e. which house), and I was told that I should've gotten an email. So, I check my email.... nothing. I call back and a huffy young lady tells me she will resend it, she even double checks my email address.....3 hours later...nothing.

I finally call and get someone who I make stay on the phone until I receive the email confirmation. At this point, he is huffy as well. God forbid someone do their job and actually send the email to the email address that has been correct all along.

Then, despite my best efforts, we have extra people wanting to come for the weekend, so I call and ask if there is any where else ADDITIONAL for us to rent. I was told no. So, a few days later, I hopped online and make a reservation for the EXACT same weekend I was just told had no space or rentals. I called back (I'm sure they love me). I explained that I had just made a reservation online and the girl said "I see that you did make a reservation, but the website is false. I'll have to go tell my manager but we don't have any extra space."

At this point, I am calm, but internally unhappy. I say "In that case, I need you to make sure that the credit card is not charged the additional $1,700 and please send me a cancellation confirmation email." The reply "I'm not doing that."

NOW FOR THE BIG KICKER: ASIDE FROM THE DISGUSTING PEE SMELL, DIRTY DISHES, BROKEN REFRIDGERATOR, BROKEN FRONT DOOR THAT LET BUGS IN EVEN THOUGH WE CALLED MAINTENENCE:

5 am Monday morning. I wake up to screaming: "Theres a man staring at us!!!!!!!!!!!" I look up, he is definitely staring at us. Furious due to my lack of sleep and now being woken up by this jerk, I run outside. I yell "What do you think you're doing?!" He YELLS back at me "I'm security (points at chest w security tshirt from Spencers). I say "Under no circumstances should you be staring in the window and when you heard her screaming you should've announced yourself". He says "Look lady, I do this all day everyday just go away".

I called Island Club rentals later on in the day to complain and I got "Um, we don't have a security guard."......................................................

• 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank KG0916
Bloomfield Hills, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Good place to stay in Put-in-Bay, especially if you're traveling with a group of four or more people. Accommodations were much better than the hotel/motels we researched. The rental personnel was extremely efficient, friendly and easy-to-contact.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great place to stay we where up there for the weekend for a bachelor party we stay at unit 109 it was clean no issues with the place. Dottie in the management was great help taxi where a call away and where at your place in less then 5 min to take you anywhere for only $3 a person great time great place would go back again a ++++

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Asheville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We rented three homes in the "resort" for a family reunion and will NEVER return! The houses were all in terrible shape. One of the families did get moved to a house that was in a little better condition, but overall we thought two of the homes should've been condemned. Furniture was filthy and we were afraid to sit on it considering the terrible staining that was there. One of the beds had a broken leg and so the entire bed leaned and sat on the ground on that end. There were bugs in one of the homes. The drawers of the refrigerator were broken, the seal was hanging off and so the refrigerator would not keep anything cold, plus there was no shelf in the refrigerator. When we walked across the livingroom to put our belongings into the bedrooms, our white socks were totally black and gross. When we talked with the reservations agent, she connected us to the manager, who agreed to refund us a small portion of the rental fee. The towel racks, toilet paper holders, doors on bathroom cabinets had all been torn off the walls.
On a positive note, the kitchens were well stocked, which is a difficult thing to keep stocked considering the number of people coming and going from the houses each week.

Room Tip: Stay away from 104, 106, 101.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jamsue_12
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I spent the weekend at one of the Island Club "homes" in mid August as part of a bachelorette group of 18. We were given 2 homes across the street from each other, which was convenient, but one house was definitely in better shape than the other. It worked out to about $1,000 a night for a 3 bedroom home. That's pricey, considering I rented a beautiful 3 bedroom home on the beach in Santa Barbara for 4 days for that same price... with a hot tub. So, I had assumed (incorrectly) that the price must reflect the quality of the place. The first red flag was when we were told that we needed to bring our own towels and linens for the beds. As an adult woman without kids, I don't have a habit of keeping twin bed sheets around, so this meant I had to bring a sleeping bag. Good start.
So I arrive later the house than the rest of the group, but I am told that I will be sleeping in the master bedroom (score!), but that I will be sharing the bedroom with 2 other girls (fail!). Apparently this was still the best option, because the bunk bed rooms were packed so tightly with bodies, you'd be fighting for oxygen at night.
Enough about the size, let's talk about the condition. Almost ever dining chair was torn or badly stained, the carpet was gross and I wouldn't recommend walking on it barefoot(or even in socks). For some reason, the kitchen sink was filled with about 50 bugs, even though there weren't any dishes and it had (presumably) just been cleaned. My sleeping bag was still damp (I had to wash it because it had been packed away) so I thought I would just pop it into the clothes dryer. I opened the door.... more bugs. No thanks.
As someone else had mentioned, the fake wood laminate paper was peeling off of all the doors. Not just small tears, but in sheets. The master bathroom had a skylight(kinda cool?) but it obviously had leakage issues because there was black mold all over the bottom of the ceiling. The most troubling thing about the bathroom though was the lack of hand soap. Neither bathroom nor the kitchen had any hand soap. For $1,000 a night, you think you could offer up a bar of soap.
All in all, I wish I had known this place was going to more like camping out and less like staying in a rental house/hotel. Maybe it would have been great when I was 21 and could sleep on the floor, but even then, I don't think I would have been able to afford it. Go with a hotel in town if you are in Put In Bay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
South Beach Resort Hotel
South Beach Resort Hotel
#2 of 3 in Marblehead
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Island Club? Share your experiences!