“"glorified" camping”

Island Club
New York City, New York
“"glorified" camping”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I spent the weekend at one of the Island Club "homes" in mid August as part of a bachelorette group of 18. We were given 2 homes across the street from each other, which was convenient, but one house was definitely in better shape than the other. It worked out to about $1,000 a night for a 3 bedroom home. That's pricey, considering I rented a beautiful 3 bedroom home on the beach in Santa Barbara for 4 days for that same price... with a hot tub. So, I had assumed (incorrectly) that the price must reflect the quality of the place. The first red flag was when we were told that we needed to bring our own towels and linens for the beds. As an adult woman without kids, I don't have a habit of keeping twin bed sheets around, so this meant I had to bring a sleeping bag. Good start.
So I arrive later the house than the rest of the group, but I am told that I will be sleeping in the master bedroom (score!), but that I will be sharing the bedroom with 2 other girls (fail!). Apparently this was still the best option, because the bunk bed rooms were packed so tightly with bodies, you'd be fighting for oxygen at night.
Enough about the size, let's talk about the condition. Almost ever dining chair was torn or badly stained, the carpet was gross and I wouldn't recommend walking on it barefoot(or even in socks). For some reason, the kitchen sink was filled with about 50 bugs, even though there weren't any dishes and it had (presumably) just been cleaned. My sleeping bag was still damp (I had to wash it because it had been packed away) so I thought I would just pop it into the clothes dryer. I opened the door.... more bugs. No thanks.
As someone else had mentioned, the fake wood laminate paper was peeling off of all the doors. Not just small tears, but in sheets. The master bathroom had a skylight(kinda cool?) but it obviously had leakage issues because there was black mold all over the bottom of the ceiling. The most troubling thing about the bathroom though was the lack of hand soap. Neither bathroom nor the kitchen had any hand soap. For $1,000 a night, you think you could offer up a bar of soap.
All in all, I wish I had known this place was going to more like camping out and less like staying in a rental house/hotel. Maybe it would have been great when I was 21 and could sleep on the floor, but even then, I don't think I would have been able to afford it. Go with a hotel in town if you are in Put In Bay.

6 Thank GummyTeeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just returned from a 4 day stay with family members who rented 3 homes. All the houses had issues ranging from a hole in the wall, broken window blinds and curtain rods, dirty carpeting, disgusting stained linoleum floor in one bathroom, peeling veneer on doors, filthy gas grill on one deck and a non-working grill on another, 2 beds with broken mattress supports, dirty, old, bed comforters, refrigerator shelf missing....the list goes on & on. Possibly the worst was what appeared to be semen residue on a couch.
The only positive comment we can make is that the pool area was very clean with plenty of decent chairs & tables and the grounds around the homes were well kept and that being mid-week, it was unexpectedly quiet.
It's very disappointing that management has the ability to keep security deposits when damage is done, but obviously doesn't use it to make necessary repairs. To their credit management did agree to refund a portion of our rental fee when we complained. However their attitude was disappointing as they explained we should have lower standards since it is a "party island". Their website doesn't accurately reflect this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank J S
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 22, 2012

In my current and previous experience in dealing with the Island Club - it has been nothing but simple and overall an excellent experience... Jerry and the girls are always professional and have everything together... We recently stayed there for the weekend - everything was in tip top shape... The house was amazing and they had all accommodations put together for us, including golf cart rental, taxi service with all the taxi drivers names for the weekend - it made for a great weekend which included a ton of fun! Thanks to Jerry and the girls for a fun filled weekend - I'll be calling soon to book for next year!!

Monaca, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Love staying at the Island club!! The houses are clean and comfortable. The staff (especially Jerry) is always accommodating and helpful to make sure that your stay is enjoyable. Have been there with groups of 8 to 16 and have always had a great experience! We highly recommend staying at the Island Club!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Polk, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2012

A pretty fun place, went there for a bachelor party and there are a ton of people outside drinking all day. You can play your music loud and get away with pretty much anything. Dottie is the manager and is really cool, however the guy above her is kind of a jerk.

Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Love love island club. Jerry was awesome. The house was awesome and clean we already booked for net year. Great family place loved the pool too. The kids loved using the golf carts to get around. Reservations were simple and good value Close to downtown attracttions and boardwalk

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed multiple times on the island. This by far was the best experience and now we will never stay anywhere but here. Maintenance was spot on when we needed them. 3 bedroom and 2 bath. Living room with direct tv was perfect for our family

• Stayed August 2011
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Commodore Resort
Commodore Resort
#6 of 7 in Put in Bay

Been to Island Club? Share your experiences!