“Great staff - helpful and very knowledgeable.”
Review of Kayak the Bay

Kayak the Bay
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in Put in Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Kayak the Bay, Ltd. has single and double sit-in and sit-on-top kayaks in downtown Put-in-Bay, Ohio in Lake Erie. Gibraltar Island is only a few minutes paddle away with extraordinary limestone cliffs and coves. You can take an easy paddle in the harbor and paddle up to the 3rd tallest national monument, Perry's Monument, or follow the west shore to the Benson Ford (this has been on MTV's Unusual homes)or paddle over to Middle Bass Island and a walk around the old Lonz Winery with the glacial grooves in the back of the property. A paddle east will take you to East Point where you can get a great view of Middle Bass Island and Ballast Island or get out and have a picnic. Pull up and walk the beach Our kayaks are for getting in between the cliffs and rocks-they are very stable. Great for beginners and experienced kayakers. We give instructions on where to go depending on weather and your skill level. We can accommodate large groups and can personalize custom Sunset Tours or any kind of tour with a guide for your group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Staff was very knowledgeable about the area. A great way to see put in bay! Definitely a must do if staying in the area. For advanced paddlers, there are some great surf runs with a SE wind.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Did I mention the snakes? The bay where you kayak is full of water snakes; I am terrified of snakes, so this was not a great trip for me. If you like snakes, I'm sure you'd enjoy yourself. As for the rental place itself, it's in very tight quarters. You use a floating dock to get in the kayaks. We saw two people fall; one person slipped between the solid dock and the floating dock; another fell into the water when getting in her kayak. So, I think the business would be better if there were more room to maneuver around. The trip around Gibraltar Island is pretty but stay away from the rocks so a snake doesn't fall off the rocks and into your kayak :) Also, be sure to check the weather report closely before kayaking as the wind can kick up quite quickly.

5  Thank Hola4876
kayak43456, Owner at Kayak the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

I believe you went a little overboard on the snakes. Yes, there are watersnakes and I'm sorry you don't like them. They are not poisonous and rarely have interaction (like dropping off of rocks) with kayakers. These snakes just want to eat gobies. They were on the endangered species list and because of Kristan Stanford-they are back and healthy. Once we humans invade the water-they go out to deeper water. Most people never even see them when paddling.

You mention someone falling between dock. That was a group of THIRTY 8th grade girls that were pushing in line to go out on the water. They have come for over 8 years as their graduation-the worst that they scream over is bugs. I don't think they would come back if there were THAT many snakes. Do you work for the competition or what? Did I mention your phobia of snakes?

Re: Falling into the water- these women and girls are in long skirts and it was a windy day. We assist everyone getting in a kayak. You can't HOP into a kayak. We tell each to go slow. The water at the dock is waist high. Yes, it can happen, they hopped back in their kayak and had a great time. You missed ALL the THANK YOUS when they came back in.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Vicky was the nicest woman and was very informative about where to go. She was hilarious and hospitable. $20 for two hours, what a steal! And there is a storage box for things you don't want to bring on the water.

1  Thank Tkhawaja
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I accidentally discovered the "Sea Arch" at Gibraltar Island last year. I had no idea it was there. Ever since, I've wanted to "kayak the bay" and "thread the needle" of that Sea Arch. And a couple weeks ago, I did!

I admit, I was pretty nervous about heading off in a kayak where I could see seaweed and algae in the water. The last thing I wanted was to capsize. But I actually never felt like that was a possibility, even when the Jet Express passed by rather close at the far edge of the island and made some rather big waves.

This was just pure magic for me. The craggy cliffs, caves, "mini rock islands" and Sea Arch make for an extremely interesting and do-able kayak trip.

The folks who run Kayak the Bay are just great. I would do this again, for sure. I would have been out longer, but a big storm was brewing and it was prudent to get back. I watched the storm pummel the water from the dry interior of the Boardwalk restaurant! What a nice little vacation.

1  Thank wendafay
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We visited Put in bay and decided to kayak around the island. We went with Kayak the bay and were disappointed! While the website had Labor Day hours after noon, we showed up and no one was there. After waiting a half hour, we decided to call the number listed on the Internet. A women answered the phone and said she would be there with in a half hour. No problem. We can wait. After waiting a full hour, we decided to head back to our room. While starting our walk, the neighbor across the street yelled over and stated that she could call and get someone to come down. No thanks! About a quarter mile down the road, this red golf cart shows up with kayak the bay decals all over it. She then proceeds to stop across the road and asks us if we want a ride. "This way or that way." We declined her ride and thought that was a terrible way of trying to make things right. We will never visit this business again on our trips to Put in bay.

4  Thank Jcampbe
kayak43456, Owner at Kayak the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Hi. I am so sorry I was not able to get to the kayaks while you were there. I was there 35 minutes after I said 30 minutes. I was on the phone with someone who wanted to book a group outing. This was on Tuesday after a HUGE weekend and my summer employee had left for school. It's very hard to do it all. I am the only one, it's not run by any corporation. Yes, I was talking to the neighbor on the phone when I was on my way by slow poke golf cart. She told me you had started walking to town. Because it is 1/2 mile-I felt bad and was just offering a ride since you had walked all that way to kayak. At that point-I thought that was the right thing to do. Again, I am so sorry. If you come back to the island-I will make it right for you and the kayaks will be on the house. I hope the rest of your time on the island was a good one.