“Fun times on Lake Erie 2013” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kayak the Bay

Kayak the Bay
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in Put in Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayak the Bay, Ltd. has single and double sit-in and sit-on-top kayaks in downtown Put-in-Bay, Ohio in Lake Erie. Gibraltar Island is only a few minutes paddle away with extraordinary limestone cliffs and coves. You can take an easy paddle in the harbor and paddle up to the 3rd tallest national monument, Perry's Monument, or follow the west shore to the Benson Ford (this has been on MTV's Unusual homes)or paddle over to Middle Bass Island and a walk around the old Lonz Winery with the glacial grooves in the back of the property. A paddle east will take you to East Point where you can get a great view of Middle Bass Island and Ballast Island or get out and have a picnic. Pull up and walk the beach Our kayaks are for getting in between the cliffs and rocks-they are very stable. Great for beginners and experienced kayakers. We give instructions on where to go depending on weather and your skill level. We can accommodate large groups and can personalize custom Sunset Tours or any kind of tour with a guide for your group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Pearl River, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun times on Lake Erie 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our family rented 2 double kayaks from Kayk the Bay. We had a wonderful time! The staff was very helpful by giving us great tips of where to go on the lake and how to navigate tough spots. 2 hours was just enough time to see go around Gibralter Island, twice, and "slip through" the eye of the needle! Some extra info: the staff have a storage area where they will keep your valuable safe for you as you are out on the lake. There is a small park across the street with a bathroom facility where we were able to change out of our bathing suits in order to be dry for the rest of our stay on Put-in-Bay Island. Reasonably priced, great equipment, and amazing views on the lake all added up to an amazing experience our family of 4 (including 2 teenagers!) will not soon forget!

1 Thank shellyprn
KayaktheBay, Owner at Kayak the Bay, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Shelly- I'm always so grateful when people come from so far and have a good time. Thank you so much and we hope you come back and enjoy some more kayaking. Maybe to Middle Bass Island? It's pretty fun to "island hop".

South Hamilton, Massachusetts
“Family Reunion Kayaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

What a wonderful time for all of us. We had a group of 35 people, it was our family reunion! With that many people it isn't always easy to orchestrate and organize a big group, but with Vicky's help we pulled it off, and with great success. They were expecting us, had the kayaks ready, gave us instruction and off we went. It was a sunset kayak tour, so 3 guides went with us. I have to say, we did a lot of fun things on the island, but this was one of the best experiences. Thanks to all at Kayak the Bay for a great time!

Visited July 2013
Barb-I enjoyed "YOUR" vacation too. You guys were a very fun gang. We hope to see you back next summer. Thank you!! We'll see what we can plan for you next time.
Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Kayak the Bay Summer 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We took Millers Ferry out to Put in Bay. Our first stop was to kayak the bay. The staff was very curteous. They were very informational as well. They put us in the kayaks and showed us a binder with pics and info on the places we could go to. We only had one day on the island and wanted to jet ski and eat as well, 2 hrs was more than enough for most casual tourists to kayak. We paddled around Gibralter Island a couple times, and to the middle of the bay to see the Peace Memorial. The wildlife around Gibralter was breathtaking, many different types of birds and a few snakes. When we returned the staff was there to help us dock up and exit the boats. We had several questions about the area such as the best place to jet ski, and best place to eat. The staff responded to all our questions and gave us great info. They gave us directions to the jet ski renal spot and let us know the place to eat was "The Boardwalk". They even gave us a couple food suggestions which we took...Lobster Mac & Cheese (AWESOME)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for showing us your island and such great hospitality. We will be back and I will pass the word to my friends and family that may be traveling that way to check you guys out.

kayak43456, Owner at Kayak the Bay, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Wow. From Nashville? That's great. I'm glad you had a good time. I can never get enough of the rocks behind Gibraltar. I hope to see you next year. Thanks again for coming!!
Sterling Heights, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a great experience for the whole family. We had a group of 9 with 5 kids ranging in age from 8 to 14. Since we had not kayaked before, I was a little concerned how to 12 and 14 would do in a kayak by themselves. They did great. Two hours was plenty of time to make it around Gibralter Island. We even stopped to swim for a little. It was a favorite highlight of our vacation -- for sure. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We rented a dry bag and was surprised that it actually kept our wallet and phone safe and dry. They also sold cold water for only $1 a bottle. Its amazing how thirsty you can get being out on the water. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting the island. I was surprised it wasnt busier since we were there on a holiday but they did have plenty of kayaks.

2 Thank Luanne S
KayaktheBay, Owner at Kayak the Bay, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Luanne, Thank you for coming and kayaking with us. I'm so glad your family had a great time. I love it when people have never kayaked and they come and try it and find out that it is actually great for the WHOLE family. That makes my day. Thanks again and I hope you come back again. We have different places to send people depending on weather. It's so pretty around the islands.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great experience for my first time kayaking! 2 hours was enough to get my bearings and make it to Gibraltar Island and all the way around. I wanted to rent a kayak so that I could go out with two people who had their own kayaks already, and we initially tried to rent from a stand at South Bass State Park. This stand was closed despite it being during their stated business hours. We then turned to Kayak the Bay, who not only helped get me set up but also made suggestions on where my friends could get their boats into the water nearby. I had a blast and would definitely rent here again.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Kristen L
KayaktheBay, Owner at Kayak the Bay, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Kristen,
I'm so glad you guys got to kayak together. You girls were delightful. Keep it up-now that you have your feet wet.
I forget if you went to the beach at East Point or the Benson Ford. Be sure to come back and check out more cool spots.

Thank you so much for your time to write in. See you soon!!!