“A very fun time”
Review of Columbus Zoo

Columbus Zoo
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Powell
More attraction details
Owner description: Home to more than 11,000 animals representing nearly 600 species from around the globe, the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium leads and inspires by connecting people and wildlife. The Zoo complex is a recreational and education destination that includes the 22-acre Zoombezi Bay water park and 18-hole Safari Golf Course. The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium also operates the Wilds, a 10,000-acre conservation center and safari park located in southeastern Ohio. The Zoo is a regional attraction with global impact; annually contributing $4 million of privately raised funds to support conservation projects worldwide. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, the Columbus Zoo has earned Charity Navigator’s prestigious 4-star rating.
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I traveled to the Columbus Zoo with 11 family members ages ranging from 2-40, we had an amazing time, the zoo was huge! and the variety of animals was plenty. We traveled there from Erie, Pennsylvania. We were at the zoo on a tuesday and we were not fighting for a place to see at the animal attractions. The polar Bear exhibit was a little crowed but it is new and unique. there were places to sit because you get very tired with all the walking you do. I would plan out a route to travel before you get started. I reccomend getting the cups that you can get free, unlimited refills on all day, YOU WILL NEED IT. the food is expensive, you are not allowed to bring in outside food and drinks. The zoo is very clean and accessible, but overall we loved it. Wear comfy shoes and take some ibreprophen and everone will do fine

Write a ReviewReviews (2,159)
All reviews
"pony rides"
in 26 reviews
"animal exhibits"
in 32 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
"wild lights"
"different areas"
"season pass"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed August 7, 2010

This zoo has gotten a mix of reviews, and frankly I'm surprised. We have been to many zoos, from the larger ones like San Diego, to the smaller ones like the Des Moines zoo. I have to say this one ranks in our top five favs. Everyone was very nice. We arrived on a partially rainy day, and there were still a lot of people going to the zoo. We were actually glad it rained off and on because it kept it from being so hot. We had raincoats on, and were fine. We saw all the animals. A lot of the zoos we've been to, animals are sleeping somewhere where you cannot see them. Maybe it was the rain, but they were all out and even if not active, we could see them. We also were impressed with how clean it was, and all the employees were friendly. We ate at the food court I believe it was called the Congo grill. Husband got a double cheeseburger combo, and I had a hamburger and it was 11 and some change. Plus unlimited refills on drink. I thought this was a good price. The animal show was one of the better ones I have seen. Very well done. We went to Jungle Jacks landing and got to touch all kinds of animals. They would keep bringing out different ones for people to touch. Very neat! Oh, and we also got AAA discount at gate for tickets. This zoo is well layed out and we would definitely go again. Nothing bad to say at all.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

I LOVED this zoo! As I travel I always like to visit the local zoos and this one is my favorite! The main reason is that the animals seem happy and are active and they are all easy to see, without a great deal of walking. It's not too sprawling, and there is a nice variety of animals. Highlights are the gorilla exhibit and the bats, as well as the polar bears--very nice zoo.

Reviewed July 11, 2010

The Columbus Zoo is run more like a theme park than a typical smelly zoo. We visited on a rainy day, and the zoo did not have that "zoo" odor so common to zoos. Everything was clean, the workers were very friendly and informative, the food was even decent and not terribly overpriced.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I called yesterday to ask if the zoo accepts American Express Gift Card. The first 2 people I spoke with didn't know. The third checked into it and said, "yes - we accept them, but I was told to tell you that sometimes they don't work." I asked what she meant and she stated, again, that sometimes the certificates don't work, but I could come ahead and maybe the gift card could be used. I was bringing a large amount of people, so I really needed to know if it was possible to use the card. I asked to speak with a supervisor. She rudely, said, OK and then hung-up on me. I tried to call her back, but she was unavailable. NOT HAPPY. Our group will be going to the Conservatory instead.

2  Thank dallas0

Been to Columbus Zoo? Share your experiences!