“It's All About "The Next Client", NOT the Current Client.”
Review of Shawnee State Park

Shawnee State Park
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Portsmouth
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My family and I stayed in a newly updated cabin. We visit yearly in the fall and many times throughout the year. We love the park and the trails! BUT BEWARE of the new rules! Check out is at 10am, and they will not allow a 30 minute later check-out. When confronting the front desk employees, about our previous night(4am) of a sick child throwing up in her travel child tent, the lady I spoke with had no sympathy and every suggestion I had she had a tit for every tat ( extremely poor customer service) and was more concerned about cleaning up for the next client who should be checking in at 4:30, we checked in at 3:50 pm the day before. Don't forget to take out the recycling and trash. We waited outside the cabin for thirty minutes and the cleaning crew never showed up! The top covers did not appear to clean and there were no heavy blankets. The beds were an improvement, but still not comfortable. A positive, new tv's in each bedroom and over the tv and the furniture was an upgrade. The restaurant was very good!
I am questioning if this was a one time experience that I want to risk experiencing again?

2  Thank CincyCat

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I made a reservation for two nights we were told that there wasn't a cottage available for two nights so we made two reservations and were told we could stay in original cabin till other was ready. Upon arrival we asked if there was anyway we disnt have to move. We were given a weird answer and told to check in the morning. In the morning we were told we had to move, but other cabin wasn't ready. They were less than accommodating and didn't seem to care about the inconvenience of the day spent waiting around the lodge. Believe it or not I didn't come to the park to sit around waiting in the lodge. Other groups seemed to be in same predicament. It cut into our plans to enjoy the park.
Park is beautiful but not worth the hassle and never a sorry we are trying to expedite the process.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have been here one time. The views are so pretty. The lodge is big and really nice. They have an indoor pool and out door pool. Plenty of things to do.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Lodge room have been renovated and decorated in a native american theme, very nice. Cabins are very nice. Food is great in the restaurant.

1  Thank regina w
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just spent the weekend at the lodge. Have been taking my girls there for yrs until about 4 yrs ago. So sad to see how much it's deteriorated. The renovations don't show because the faded and dirty paint are all you see as you walk into the lodge. It continues throughout. The indoor pool area is awful.... worn and torn floor coverings. Showers in bath look nice but one out of order and the other only cold water. Food was ok but it's never really been an area of strength.... at least in the past 10 yrs. Outdoor pool was nice but you can pay to just swim there so the range of people were quite interesting. Then there was the fight by the pool and the people wearing Jean cutoffs or a man with his boxer shorts for swim trunks. Ewwwww. The rooms were sort of clean but the lack of vent fan in the shower gives it a musty smell so glad that I brought clorox wipes to clean some of the mold. Hallways and elevator areas show the wear and the years of use. Again want to say it used to be a favorite. Looking for a new place to go for future trips. : ( Hope they get it together soon.

5  Thank SAB363