“Very average hotel--but limited options in Portsmouth”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed January 7, 2013

First time staying in Portsmouth. So I don't have any other options to compare in this review. But I do travel frequently and this is a very average property. A little dated on the amenities and furnishings. Nothing special to comment on. Shower had poor water pressure. Clear signs of age everywhere. Bed was not very comfortable.

Service was okay. Clerk working night shift was not very friendly. Best thing was price--got rate under 70. Location is isolated. Not real easy getting out onto 23 going south into town.

Don't get your hopes up for this place. Average is the key word. Granted, nothing real bad to talk about...but nothing great either.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Milbs_40
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on our hotel. I'm sorry you experienced some difficulties while here in the area. US route 23 is a main highway through our area and turning south from the north end of Old Scioto Trail is some times very difficult. The good news is that Old Scioto Trail is a very short street as it connects back on to US 23 south of our area at a traffic light. Our company has been in constant upgrades for the past 3 years since becoming a Comfort Inn. We appreciate all feedback as this helps us find our weak points. Thank you for staying in Portsmouth OH.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great staff. Everybody was friendly, the rooms were clean, our king bed was very comfortable and we really liked the sheets. Definitely the best place we've stayed in Portsmouth. They have a small indoor pool and workout area which we did not use. Their breakfast is very good for a free hotel breakfast- best gravy I've had at any hotel (free or not). We will stay here again the next time we visit the area.

Room Tip: This place is right across a 4 lane highway from a busy railroad track. We were on the East side of...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words to our staff. We try to make everyone feel like family here at our hotel. I have a great team working for and with me daily. I have shared this with my crew and this was the ray of sunshine for them. Thank you again for taking the time our of your busy schedule to give us feedback and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Made the reservation with hesitation and anxiety increased driving up the hill to the hotel. That all went away on walking into the lobby and the greeting from staff. Prompt check-in and good hotel information provided. Nothing fancy, nothing shiny but it was functional and clean. The breakfast tasted better than it looked. Not a fan of the round egg patty but combined with a fresh biscuit and sausage, it made a good breakfast sandwich. Large room and the suite while not a suite had separate kitchen area. Three bugs in the room during the stay that resembled the stink bugs from the south. Pets are allowed and saw one couple with three dogs. They stayed on the bottom floor and I was on second floor so I never heard them bark unless I walked by the room. Would not have wanted to be a neighboring room guest. The local college had a basketball game the night I checked in and the opponent's team checked in without delays or congestion in the lobby. I cannot tell you anything really great but also nothing bad. From business associates in Portsmouth this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sometrip
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to leave a comment for us on Trip Advisor. We host many teams from differrent colleges that come to play Shawnee State and we know that it can get crazy in the lobby area with college students. We try to get the teams in as quickly as possible so that we have less confusion. As noted yes we do allow pets with special cleaning done after the pets leave the property. We appreciate all feedback as this allows other travelers to see what we are doing right/wrong.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed two nights in early August. This hotel is located a little ways out, it took a good five minutes to drive into town. The entry area is not very inviting, I thought at first that it was just a temporary desk due to renovation or something. The check-in staff was not terribly friendly when we arrived around 10pm. The room was ok, albeit not the cleanest I'd ever seen: There was soap scum from a previous guest on the vanity in the bathroom. On the second day, the vanity had gotten wiped down but the maid must have forgotten to vaccum or sweep because the dirt we had tracked in as well as hair on the bathroom floor was still there when we came back in on the second day. The washcloths were so thin we could probably have read the newspaper through them - although we did not try it out. But they were very thin and scratchy. There were only four pillows on the king size bed, other Comfort Inns have five - not a deal breaker but it stood out. The breakfast area is way too small! Ok so they might not have a full house every morning but when they do, oh boy, it's hard to find a place to put your plate down. I saw people balance their breakfast on their knees while sitting on the chairs in the lobby. In my opinion, this place needs a serious makeover. If I'm ever in town again I'll probably try the Super 8 next door.

1  Thank justtourists
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you to all who offer feedback to our hotel. We pride ourselves in all the hard work that is done on property. We offer an area for the overflow of guests during our breakfast bar area when we have large crowds. With feedback this helps to train our employees. We of course are not located in the city but it is a short drive. There are plenty of activities coming in October and November to the Portsmouth OH area. The last of the Swap Meet/flea market will be held the 2nd weekend of October and also only 45 miles away will be the Bob Evans Festival that same weekend. The Sorgum Festival at John Simon's farm will be the 1st weekend of October. Plans our under way for the Dickens of a Christmas. Come join in the festivities in Portsmouth OH.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Between the holiday inn and the comfort inn we chose the comfort because the price was reasonable and they had a continental breakfast that we didn't have a additional price to pay. When we were booking a room they worked very well with us using a credit card over the phone to pay for it. They were helpful an understanding. We had stayed 2 nights in one room. The water was clean and had a nice pressure to it. The room was clean and very well kept. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast had a variety of breakfast foods witch was really good! We had went back to Columbus for a night because a emergency had came up. Then we came back down and we stayed in the same hotel as last time, but a different room. However the first room bathroom had the the wall paint coming off and the outlets were coming out as well. But that won't stop us from coming back again. The second room had no problems at all. The carpet in the hallway was some what soiled, however the room on the carpet was clean. We would defiantly come back again!

Room Tip: Always look online to find out what hotel you would choose, and look at there reviews.
2  Thank Laura H
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you to those who take time out of their busy schedules to complete comments for trip advisor. Trip advisor is an added bonus for all who travel including myself. We want people to feel that we offer a home away from home atmosphere. We appreciate the feedback and this makes the staff proud of their hard work. Soon the leaves will begin turning colors and our hills become beautiful it such a beauty to look to the west toward Shawnee State forest in the evenings and the pictures are great.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I'm an entering freshman at the nearby Shawnee State and coming from the other side of Ohio our family needed a place to stay after several hours of driving. I remember hearing how we planned and booked on a hotel reservation here, so I became a little apprehensive given how the hotel was one of the cheapest around and some of the other less-than-favorable reviews.

All I can say on the matter is that something must have definitely changed during that period, since our stay there was one of the better hotel experiences I've had. We drove up the fairly steep incline into the parking lot, unloaded our baggage, and checked into our hotel suite. My mom was a little disappointed that we didn't have much of a view. (Outside was some gravel/cement with a single table and a steep hill with a few trees, not exactly scenic but we didn't lodge here for the scenery.)

PROS:

The room itself was fairly cold, which I appreciated being a big guy dealing with the record temps hitting the Portsmouth area at the time but shocked my parents a little and took a little adjusting to. The beds were very comfy, and the pillows were super fluffy, needless to say it was easy to get comfortable. The television kept my sister entertained and there was plenty of information provided for outside food services/restaurants. Given that we expected to pay a little over 80 dollars (We got the Shawnee State student rate), the discount paid for our Dominos pizza. Very nice.

The highlight of our time there, as previous reviews have stated, is the continental breakfast provided. We went to the Hawthorne Suites last year for a prospective college and all we got was some coffee-cake, mini-cereals, and drinks. I have to admit I was impressed with the service and I could tell those who maintained it actually took care of making sure the breakfast was constantly supplied and accessible for those just waking up. Definitely a plus.

On the matter of the pool and the workout area, I didn't really use those facilities, but my little sister enjoyed swimming and the treadmills looked nice.

CONS:

The only real thing I can think of that would be a reason to keep me from coming back would be the amount of cigarette smoke. It's not excessive, but the smell is present. (I'm a smoke-sensitive asthmatic but it didn't cause me any problems) The trains are close to the area (Didn't notice them until after leaving) but if anything woke me up early it was my parents doing so to take advantage of the breakfast.

NOTE: There are no snack vending machines to my knowledge, so bring your own munchies. They do have drinking vending machines, strangely enough.
---

In the end, I was very pleased with my experience here and would strongly recommend this hotel for any incoming students coming to Shawnee State or simply any parents coming to visit their kids from afar.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Thomas E
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Fall is in the air and the students for Shawnee State are making their way back to campus. We appreciate each and every comment toward our hotel. Just a reminder to check the school calendar and events so that you may get reservations in early. The annual River Days festival is coming Labor Day weekend. There are concerts and shows at the Vern Riffe Center throughout the school year. We look forward to giving the parents a home away from home atmosphere.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I originally booked a room at the Holiday Inn butt decided to switch to the Comfort Inn because it was half the price. The hallway smelled like smoke as someone else stated in their review. The smell stopped at the room door. The room was clean and we were pleasantly surprised with a jacuzzi tub in our king size room. The room was very quiet. We were also surprised at how hot the water was and the it stayed hot long enough to fill the jacuzzi tub and run a shower at the same time. We did not take advantage of the continental breakfast because we slept past 9:30 both days! The bed was so comfy! The only complaint I would have with this hotel is that the air conditioning never really cooled the room even though it was set on 60 degrees. My husband and I were fine but I could see it being an issue for other visitors. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shelly0323
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
#1 of 2 in Wheelersburg
#1 of 2 in Piketon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center
Super 8 Portsmouth
Super 8 Portsmouth
#3 of 6 in Portsmouth

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!