“above average, for sure, in Portsmouth, very nice”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We had room 227, which is towards the back near the hill side, so it was very quite. The check was very smooth, once we found the hotel. It is tucked up on a hill, which was nice.
The hall carpet is stained and really needs replacing, so walking to the room I was apprehensive and then we smelled cigarette smoke and I wondered if I had booked a non-smoking room.
We opened the door and I was very impressed. The furnishings are very modern, linens and bed we very nice. Flat screen TV and the A/C worked great. It was in the 90's for Memorial Day weekend.
The bathtub had a permanent imprint of were a bath mat had stayed to long, so I doubt if the stain could be removed. However, the rest of the room was very clean and there was no cigarette smell in our room.
The breakfast bar was very good, you could tell they take pride in the service.
The pool was very small and there were lots of kids staying there, so we passed.
Ice machine on second floor was broken and the first floor one was by the pool. I noticed they also had a washer and dryer available if you needed one.
We liked the location and I would stay again and try to get the same room.

Room Tip: I would stay on the second floor towards the back. The first floor seemed very busy with all the ki...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank wolfatlga

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were in town due to a relatives hospitalization. The staff was fantastic to us from the phone call to reserve the room, til our check out time. Friendly staff all the way around! The room was comfy, with a flat screen tv. The cleanilness of the motel was very good. Lots of clean towels, bathroom was exceptionally clean as well as rest of our room. They have a pool, which we didn't use, but we did use the excercise room and even tho it only had 3 pieces of equipment, it served the place well. I'd stay here again, if in the area. The Continetinal breakfast was great. They had a great selection of breakfast food, with a well set up area, compared to other motels which offer breakfast. You want to know what my complaint was? We couldn't stay and relax another day here. To the staff here, Keep up the great work. People complaining on this particular motel, need to understand they aren't paying for a luxury resort, so it won't be a plush/posh room, but they will get a clean, bug free, stink free, comfortable, safe room,well worth the money! The beds were checked for the dreaded bedbug signs and found NONE!! You can't always get a promise of this in high end motels. You will like this place if you are normal and not a complainer. Some people couldn't be satisfied it they had a penthouse suite. Just saying to anyone who reads the reviews, this place is a nice place for the money! Don't pass it up for a more expensive place, you will be sorry.

Room Tip: Bottom floor had excess exits besides the main entrace, making it easy to carry stuff in/out of room...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Debb55
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I guess from what I read this is a good as it gets in the area. But if that's the case next time I will sleep in a tent in a campground. I do not believe that's the way it should be. I paid a decent price for a whirpool room. Thinking it would be similar to the one I had rented in Charlottesville, VA not so long ago. Wow, not the same. Upon opening the first room I set my self down and looked toward the whirpool tub as I had driven quite a distance and was looking forward to the relaxation. It had hair and soap scum and the jets were dirty and brown. I went to the front desk and offered to show it to him. He believed me right away and gave me a new room. I entered the the only other whirpool room they had and it was slightly cleaner. He said if there was anything else he could do to let him know. I was so exhausted I gave up. I ran hot water through the tub and jets and hoped for the best and tried to ignore the fact that I just knew I was sitting in dirty water. The water main broke (they said the next day) so the water was brown. Nobody said anything about it though so I thought it was just nasty well water, but no it was broken pipe debris, sweet. The jets worked but one, of course. As I lay in my dirty tub and looked at the walls I began to realize the dirty black marks on the walls from goodness knows what activity. There were footprints on the walls across from bed, Nice. The whole room was disgusting. I will say the towels and sheets appeared clean, that were mine but wait brace yourself, not all the towels in the room were for me.. HERE is the icing on the cake. In the bathroom, the floor was not only dirty, and had hair, but on the floor in the corner was a balled up, discolored washcloth. GAG!!! Goodness knows what that little treasure contained. I just settled into my nightmare and tried to sleep and once all the children in the rooms next door and across the hall stopped going in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out,about midnight I fell asleep. Breakfast was actually pretty ok and the lady they have hired to run that seems to really care about her job and her area is clean, food stocked, right temperature. It was not good overall though and not at all what I expected from Comfort Inn. I will not ever be back to this location. Like I said, invest in a tent. It will be cleaner, quieter, and you will have something worthwhile to take back home.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AmericanExplorer8500
Sharon S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Negative feedback can result in a positive for the staff. Our staff complete a training process no matter how long they have been with the hotel. Sometimes we all just need a little retraining and when we receive negative feedbacks, those members involved in a negative feedback our retrained. We hope that this was just an isolated problem and that we have learned from the mistakes. We have people that stay with us that come to Scioto County fairgrounds for different events such as the Swap Meet June 2-3 and the Scioto County Fair in August.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

I heard that this place is the cleanest in the area. The room was clean but needed new tile work in the bathroom and the walls needed refinishing. All of a sudden, I heard this loud noise and thought that an airplane was landing right next to me but it was a train! My husband said, "Why would anyone build a hotel next to a train track?"

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LynnetteB

Thank you for your review. We realize that being located beside the train tracks and a highway can be quite distrubing to a lot of guests. We try our best to accomodate guest away from the west side of the building. The best part of the west side of the hotel is the beautiful view of the Scioto River Valley and the Shawnee State Forest. The sunsets can be so beautiful and calming that can make the stay quite enjoyable.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed at this Comfort Inn on 9/23/11 and was completely satisfied with my choice. There were only 4 hotels in Portsmouth that I could find. We were in town for the Shawnee Family Weekend being promoted by the college. I would have liked to have stayed a little closer, but it only took 10 minutes to get to Shawnee. I got a AAA rate of $76 for a nice room with 2 double beds. My husband thought the place looked a little dated, but I thought it was pretty nice. I usually like queen size beds when I choose a hotel, but they were so comfortable that it made up for the smaller bed. The TV in the room was the smallest I have seen lately, especially since so many have now updated to flatscreens. This was only a 19" TV, which may be unimportant to a lot of people, but I thought worth mentioning. The room had a microwave & large refrigerator too. The bathroom was large with the shower having good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The room was very quiet and I heard absolutely no train noise that some have mentioned. There was also a workout room and indoor pool that we didn't use, but looked at. The pool was small and not exactly the cleanest I've seen. Morning breakfast was from 6-9:30 daily. Disappointing on the weekends that it wasn't later, especially since we went to bed late. Breakfast was adequate and maybe we are all getting a little snobby saying that these days. Seems like we expect a lot more than the average complentary breakfast. lol. There were plenty of choices from hot to cold foods, but I have had better. I was slightly annoyed by the lady in charge of filling the breakfast because she kept telling everyone that it was over at 9:30. Guess it was because there were so many people there around 9. If you need a place to stay while visiting Shawnee State University or for any reason, I would reccommend this Comfort Inn.

Room Tip: I was in room 125 which was nice since I didn't have to wait for the elevator. It was right nea...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank bizElady

We enjoy having the families of Shawnee State students. We also realize that as parents with college students funds become tighter than when they were at home. We gladly offer discounts to our parents when visiting just mention that you are visiting the university to our front desk staff for those discounts. Our staff can also assist you in finding the best places in town to eat such as the Scioto Ribber. The Ribber is within a block of the university.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

This was the Holiday Inn Express until recently. Within the past year, it was fully re-modeled. New furniture, beds, carpet, vanities, etc. Very nice hotel and clean. The people were nice, as well. It is up a huge hill with a good view of a valley. Be aware that the rooms with the view of the valley also have the noise of the trains. The quiet side is away from the road, valley and trains, but no view.

Room Tip: Valley view = Train noise.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gulliver4u
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Room was very well kept and clean no issues to speak of breakfast was great

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BIGCHIEF01

Our Comfort Inn, is located in the rural area of Portsmouth OH. We are within a 5 minute drive to the downtown area and to the Portsmouth Raceway Park. Summer time racing is just around the bend beginning in May. We appreciate all feedback on our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
#1 of 2 in Wheelersburg
#1 of 2 in Piketon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center
Super 8 Portsmouth
Super 8 Portsmouth
#3 of 6 in Portsmouth

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!