“Moldy,Smelly,Dirty...”
Review of Super 8 Portsmouth

Super 8 Portsmouth
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I am not a picky person by any means. I was not expecting the Ritz, but seriously...this place should be condemned! The carpet over by the refrigerator was wet....soaked actually. Something isn't right if the management is not aware of the problems there. I had family staying in another room on the lower level...their room was even worse than ours. It stunk of staleness and mold. The bed lifted up if you sat on a corner of it. It was the most horrid place I have ever stayed. The waffles in the morning were good. That's about the best I can say for this Super 8.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed May 4, 2010

I had actually reserved the king jacuzzi suite for a day almost 2 weeks in advance. When we got there they told us that our room had been cancelled because it declined my card. I knew that and the hotel desk attendant knew that as well. I told them we were paying cash. Well they end up reserving us another room but we had to pay a deposit; fine whatever. After 30 minutes of people acting dumb we went up to our room. The room itself was elegant. They could have used a little bit of cleaning supplies on the wall but other wise it was spotless. The pilliow sucked. They were flat as a pancake. In face, when I called down and spoke to the midnight manager Willie, he said they "didn't have anymore pancake pillows to give me." We went to check out. Boy, I wished we hadn't. The "weekend" manager Marsha, the first thing she said ok i need to know a little bit of history. Turn out they weren't supposed to give me another room if it had be declined. There might not even be a deposit that was the charge of the room. (i was orginally told 111.00 a night when i was charged 150.00 That was a big big mess. THEY SHOULD MAKE A KIOSK TO WHERE YOU CAN CHECK IN SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH MORONS.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angelinurskye
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We came in for a funeral, dropped off our stuff and came back late. This place is disgusting. I paid $67 for this room and it is horrible. The most disgusting part, found some "hairs" in the tub. We obviously haven't showered yet. Shower is dirty and moldy. Carpets are gross. I do not feel comfortable here but I live 3 hours away. Fire alarm has been pulled twice. Pool and hot tub look nothing like the pictures on the website. From reading the other comments, it looks like I will have no luck filing a complaint.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Stayed at this hotel,while attending a wedding. It was close to destination. The price was right, but the hotel could use some cleaning. The hall carpets were dirty. A bit of mold in the bathtub under a seam area. Found some trash under the beds. People in room above us jumped on the beds, most of the day and night. Found out it was a kids party. The breakfast was stale donuts, hot coffee and cool milk. The beds were ok, but squeaked a lot. The staff was pleasant. Would probably stay for a over night, again ,if price stays same.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2009

I chose this motel, (it certainly doesn't qualify as a *hotel* by any means) because they allow pets. I was traveling to KY to pick up a rescue dog and cat. I told the person (male) with whom I made the reservations that the dog was large. I emphasized the word *large*. I also said I would have a cat. This person told me there would be no problem, all I would have to do is pay the $10 deposit for each pet. When I arrived at the place, I was put back by how slovenly it looked on the outside, but I had no where else to go and it was late. I checked in, stating I had called ahead to clear these two animals. The clerk (female, about 18) said "No problem." I noticed there were at least 15 men around the ages of 19-26 in the back parking lot drinking beer and just "hanging out", being very loud and rowdy. As the evening went on, it became apparent they were friends with the owners of the place.

When I brought the cat in, who was understandably anxious from the trip and crying, three of the guys got on the elevator with me and proceeded to make noises at the cat and harrassed me and the cat all the way up to my room on the 4th flr. Unfortunately, two of them were staying in the room next to mine.

When I brought the dog in, the owner came out from the office and said, "I don't like big dogs." I explained my booking experience and that I had cleared the dog. All he did was stare at me and repeat the same sentence. I said it was very late and would be impossible to find another place with animals that night. He repeated, "I don't like big dogs", and just stared at me. I offered more of a deposit to cover the dog. He still just stood there and repeated the same phrase.

I went upstairs since there was nothing else I could do. During the night someone opened my door with a coded key and took the cat. Even though the chain was on, she could still slip through the door. She was very friendly and would have gone with anyone. The dog is such a friendly guy...he doesn't have a mean bond in his body, so he didn't bark. (That's why he was in rescue...he was owned by some one who wanted a "guard dog" and he just didn't "guard".)

The next morning when I awakened and the cat was gone. (windows were shut all night and no furniture she could get under...she vanished from a supposedly locked room!) I confronted the hotel mgr & he totally ignored me and walked away. He refused to even acknowledge I was standing in front of him.

Long story short, since there had been no forced entry, the police said I had no case.

I *know* the mgr gave a key programmed to a couple of those guys they and opened my door, let the cat out, and took her. I hate to think what they did with her...I only hope she did not suffer.

I have contacted Super 8 via phone and writing and they will NOT do anything about this.

Aside from having my room broken into and the theft of the cat, the hotel is dirty and run down. There are stains all over everything. I had a whirlpool tub in my room and it was cracked all the way across and the moldy smell in the room was horrendous.

I killed two roaches in the room while I was getting ready for bed. Needless to say, I slept on top of the covers with my clothes and coat on.

I will never find out what happened to that poor cat, nor will there ever be justice brought to that owner and the group of lowlifes that hang out there. All I can do is go to every review site and tell people about them and to PLEASE STAY AWAY!! And don't leave *anything* in your room if you do go there.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank lakotasu
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We traveled to Portsmouth, and stayed at the Super 8 Motel. I was expecting alot worse than I saw, but my room was actually pretty clean. The shower curtain was a little dingy on the bottom, so I did not use it. Other than that, it was a pretty clean motel for the price. They also had wireless internet so I was able to work on my laptop. They offered a continental breakfast that morning that consisted of waffles, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, and juice. Breakfast is only served from 6am - 9am which seemed kind of odd. So, if you want to sleep in, it's best to get up, get breakfast, and come back to bed. Most hotels I've stayed in serves from 6am - 11am. Check in was pretty quick and efficient, and I was able to see the room before I purchased it. If you travel here, I would also ask to see the room before purchasing. The hotel was full of construction workers, but they did not provide a disturbance. Right next to the motel is a Ponderosa restaurant, and the food was okay. I would recommend staying here, but don't expect the amenities of the Wyndham or Hilton. This is a fairly clean, basic hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank mrsmom08
Reviewed January 4, 2008

This was our 2nd stay at this Super 8 so we new what to expect since we'd already been there before. Our first time, October 2007, we had a room on the 2nd floor. The first visit our room had a sink and counter in the bathroom where the toilet and shower were located, making the bathroom cramped. The counter was too small to shave comfortably and the lighting was terrible. This time the sink and counter were outside the bathroom. The first visit, footfalls could be heard overhead as we were laying in bed; never heard them in a large motel before, only small ones. Kids were constantly going in and out of rooms and running up and down the hall to the exit.

The 2nd time we stayed there, having made our reservations by phone, I had asked for a room on the top (3rd) floor so as not to be disturbed by the footfalls we'd heard on a previous visit. Couldn't do it unless we wanted a SMOKING room. All rooms on the 3rd floor are SMOKING rooms. No thanks, we'll take the noisey room, however, on this trip the 2nd floor was fairly quiet.

There isn't a restaurant in the motel, but the Breakfast Room where we got our free Continental Breakfast had a microwave, coffeemaker, and toaster. We had cold cereal, fairly fresh donuts, and small waffles that we heated in the microwave. Bagels, and juice, I believe, were also available. All in all, about average for the price and motel chain. On this trip, however, the ice maker and sole soda machine located on the first floor, were both out of order; however, there was a working snack machine, and you could take coffee from the lobby to your room during the time the Breakfast Room was closed. On our previous stay, as we were eating in the Breakfast Room, someone looking like he had just awaken, came in to resupply either the cofee or donuts, dressed, but in bare feet - not an appetizing scene as we were eating. On this trip, although it was after 7AM when we went down to eat, and the Breakfast Room opens at 6AM, we were the only people who made use of the eating facilities both mornings we were there.

This motel was picked because it was one of two that are closest to Hillview Retirement Center, where my wife and I visited my mother-in-law for Christmas. We definately won't stay at the other motel, where we've stayed in the past. Both
mornings we were at the Super 8 the motel parking lot seemed to be fairly empty.

We will probably come back here again the next time we come to see my wife's mother due to the location of the motel. Hopefully, when we return, the ice maker and soda machine will have been repaired.

Tip - Try and get a look at the room you'll be staying in BEFORE you pay for the night's stay to check it out.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ward00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Portsmouth
Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
8 mi away
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 2 in Wheelersburg

Been to Super 8 Portsmouth? Share your experiences!