“Pretty nice hotel for such a small town”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was extremely pleasantly surprised. A business colleague who travels to Portsmouth much more often than myself had referred to this as "the hotel" and basically stated that it was the best of what is there. I travel extensively and this would be considered a nice Holiday Inn no matter the city. It was clean, well appointed and reasonably priced. I did not eat at the restaurant due to my meeting schedule but the bar was nice enough. The pool area looks very nice but I did not try it. I did head for the gym but instead opted to run outside as the room is uninspiring and on this day a bit warm. They could definitely refresh their treadmills. Being only a block and a half from the river I was able to get a decent run in but I would not call it scenic.
Those small negatives aside I can only restate that this is a very well kept, well managed corporate Holiday Inn. Everything was clean and comfortable which is all one needs for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for the nice review. I'm not sure when your stay was, but as of mid May 2014 we have a new Treadmill and a new Elliptical. I hope on your next visit you will try them out and let us know how you like them. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown

Reviewed April 7, 2014

It's expensive, very very expensive. It's classy on the outside and the rooms are tastefully appointed. Rooms are large with tiny bathrooms and have very comfortable beds. For this sort of major money you would think that breakfast is included but NO it has an upscale restaurant that charges. Apart from the free coffee that's about it. The hotel is located in a quiet area of town across the street from the Police department yet I would not go outside alone after dark.

Room Tip: Face away from the river.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We hope you spend time with us again in the future. A lot of people prefer the River side viewing, But I agree with you, I like the downtown side with all the church steeples.sc

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

When visiting my family in Porstmouth. I always stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown. It is convenient and always clean. The staff always takes good care of my family and I. We feel like it is a home away from home when we come to visit during the holidays. Thank you all.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ChadWKY
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Its good to have a Homecoming with family and friends. I 'm glad you are making us a part of it.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have stayed here several times due to the fact that my daughter goes to Shawnee State University and we are from out of town. It is clean and modern, the rooms are spotless and the beds are very comfortable. We always request a room with a view of the Ohio River and the US Grant bridge. The rooms have microwaves and refrigerators, very convenient. The pool is beautiful, lots of comfy lounge chairs and greenery. Oscars, their restaurant/bar is nice and the food is very good. The staff is always accomodating and pleasant. All in all, a great hotel, right up the street from the historic district and right across the street from Shawnee State University. Might I also say, very reasonably priced and alot nicer than the motels nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank my3lhasas
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was traveling with my family for nearly a month (2 toddlers) and we did not expect such a pleasant experience. The hotel and our room were spotless, the beds were fantastic, the hotel has a great location right on the river, and the value for the price was Exceptional. We won't be staying anywhere else in Portsmouth.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CodexWard
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed for 4 days while attending a conference. Upon our arrival, we were informed that a child had thrown up in the pool the night before and that it would be closed until it was cleaned up. That was on Sunday. When I left on Thursday, that pool STILL hadn't been opened back up because they STILL hadn't cleaned it! The water was a milky green by that point.

We went to the hotel restaurant. BAD DECISION! I ordered a chicken Caesar salad and found green and black mold on all of the chicken.

I went to the front desk to speak with the manager on duty and politely explain my disappointment. She offered me a $50 discount for my trouble. NEVER received that discount. Not even when I checked out. I asked about it and the lady on duty said that only the person that promised the discount could apply it and she was off duty that day. (Great)

There was a domestic violence dispute across the hall from me the last night I was there ( YES, all of this happened in a matter of 4 days). I called the front desk several times to report hearing the guy across the hall repeatedly punch the woman with him. NO ONE AT THE DESK ANSWERED!

This hotel has terrible customer service, horrible quality food, 4 day old puke in the pool and a SERIOUS maintenance problem. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: A friend stayed at the ramada in Portsmouth and had no complaints.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jessica I
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. The pool was closed for 4 days for a scheduled professional cleaning which is done periodically. Guest were informed before check in of the cleaning. This usually just takes a day or two, Even tough the chemicals readings were good, the water was to cloudy for saftey concerns.
Thank you for your comments, and I hope you do try us again.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've stayed here a few times now. The rooms are nice for a small town. I will stay here again. However, I will never go to the restaurant again. Service is horrible. I had to seat myself because nobody was around. I sat there for 13 minutes before I finally got up, and walked through the doors back in the kitchen and had to ask for help. Ridiculous. There were already three people in there eating breakfast. So there's no excuse for why they wouldn't have been out there to check on those people.

• Stayed: May 2013
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

You are absolutely right! There is no excuse for bad service. I promise to review this with the staff and Restaurant Management team. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and I hope you try us again in the future. We pride ourselves on our staff and service and I am so sorry we let you down. Next time you're in town, Please stop by and say hello, would love to meet you. S.Cook

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Portsmouth
#1 of 2 in Wheelersburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
#1 of 2 in Piketon
Best Western River Cities
Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown? Share your experiences!