“Very nice staff”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
“Very nice staff”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We only had a meal there but the staff was very accommodating to our requests for our elderly member. The lobby is very nice and is very clean. We were taking a family history visit to the area - it is the home of Branch Ricky and my husband's family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
How wonderful! Welcome to your Husband's and My hometown. Its always a pleasure to talk about our history and hear new stories. Please visit again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I have been visiting this hotel approx every other month for the past year. They were heavy into renovations when I started staying here. Now the renovation is finished and its pretty typical for a Hliday Inn.
The rooms are the nicest in Portsmouth-flat screen TVs and updated floor and wall coverings. The bedding is typical of Holiday Inn-very comfortable for me. I don't care for any Holiday Inn pillows but there are 4 on the bed to choose from. All the rooms I have stayed in have refrigerators and micros. I stay on the front of the hotel and the floors above street level have a nice view of the OH River-actually the beautiful bridge that spans the OH. There's a levee blocking actual views of the river.
There is a swimming pool with a large comfortable seating area-there's a huge skylight in the pool area. It's a good spot for families. There also is a small workout room with 2 treadmills that are new-with a TV on the side wall in that room. When I've been there there have been adequate towels for both the pool and exercising.
There is a restaurant in the motel, I usually bring my own food but have eaten there one time. It was ok but not unusual or special to me.
It's not a Holiday Inn Express-no breakfast service . That would make it better for me, but typical for Holiday Inn.
The staff is very helpful and courteous in every way. I did observe a panhandler trying to take advantage of the kindness and he was handled fairly professionally-and removed from the premises.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a better view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Your comments help us to make all your future stays comfortable.
Kingston
Reviewed May 17, 2012

This downtown location provided us with easy access to Noggins and restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful. Although this is a downtown location, there was ample free parking. If traveling to Portsmouth, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. Richard Noggins Restaurant is a favorite entertainment location to many of our visitors. Please come back again.
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Liked it, it's in a good location for Portsmouth, nice restaurant downstairs, rooms are clean and neat, good service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gmd75
Thank you for staying at our hotel. I noticed your review from May. (Mothers day weekend) can be a very exciting time. It is TOSRV, a bicyle Tour of Scioto River Valley. It starts in Columbus, Ohio, traveling to Portsmouth, Ohio and returns the next day. Next time in Portsmouth, Business or Leisure I wish you a good stay again.
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This holiday Inn is located in downtown. It is close to places to eat. It is very clean and the hotel's restaurant serves good food. Service is very good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us. The month of April is Rock-n-Roll month in Portsmouth. We have entertainers performing at the Vern Riffe Center for the arts, That is within walking distance of the hotel. Check out online "Rock & Roll house party, WNXT. Bringing back the memories.
Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Our room was clean and recently remodeled. It was nice and beds comfortable. Only thing is we were on the second floor right outside the elevator on a Friday night, there was a lot of noisy guest coming in at 2 and 3 in the morning and they were very loud, apparently drunk. This went on about 3 or 4 times during the night, I should have called down and complained, so with that said the hotel was great but ask for a room away from the elevator even though these fools walked all the way down the hall yelling and screaming and giggling at each other so I'm sure they woke a lot of other guest up too. All in all the hotel was a good clean place to stay but a bit pricey I think, cost us over $100.00 for 2 double bed, 1 night stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn. I am so sorry for the noise you experience. St. Patrick's Day weekend sometimes comes with some heavy celebrations. We do try to keep our hotel quiet for our quest's comfort. Next time please call down to the Front Desk and let us know of any disturbances, There is staff on duty 24 hours a day, and the celebrating guest may not be aware they are being too loud.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 9, 2012

This hotel isn't bad when you consider the location. Overall the room was nice, the bed was comfortable and the staff was really nice. I got in late so I didn't feel like going anywhere so I decided to eat at the restaurant in the hotel. After having to send my food back, it was ok, which isn't how I typically like to classify a $22 meal.

Overall this hotel is old and covering up old with a can of paint doesn't work.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeremy W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Portsmouth
#1 of 2 in Wheelersburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
#1 of 2 in Piketon
Best Western River Cities
Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown? Share your experiences!