“Nice and better than thought !”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My husband and I and our two children stayed overnight there yesterday and I was impressed with the outside and inside. The Lobby was clean and nice, very modern looking. The ladies there were very nice even let my children and I sit in the restaurant when they were closed between 10am and 11am. My kids where hungry and I didn't realize it closed for the hour. And they offered for us to eat anyway. They went out of there way and I felt very well taken care of and we had great service. The front desk was easy check-in except. The only unpleasant thing was an older gentleman who my husband dealt with seemed a bit cranky and put out. The hotel book in the room explains you can ask for a late check out up to 1 pm if okayed by the front desk. This was great for us since my husband was not going to be back with the car until 12am from his interview. So my kids and I could stay there while he was gone. He asked the man if 12:30 would be okay and he said 12am would be ok and said to come by again in the morning on his way out to tell the ladies before he left in the morning. So he did so, but the ladies where really busy so the man was still there and said to go ahead and go. I really don't understand why 12 or 12:30 made the difference and why the gentleman couldn't have made the request be known himself instead of having us having to come back by only for him to end up having to relay the message anyway. So that was a bit annoying. Rooms where pretty clean. Beds are very nice. I would only stay here, if you are in Portsmouth for sure!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Fallon B

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed here in July for a softball tourney in town. It was the first day of the change over from the Ramada Inn to a Holiday Inn. THE GOOD: I will start off by saying that the people that work there could not be more helpful! We needed a two night stay and they were initially booked for the second night but they worked hard to allow us to stay in our same room and not have to change hotels. The bartender is fantastic! We arrived at 9:50 the first night with the kithen closing at ten and he made sure that we were still able to feed our hungry crew. He mixes a great drink too. The food is good. The ribs are fantastic. We had a large party the next night for dinner and they graciously sat us in a private room and the two girls that were our servers were fantastic. ( and we were not an easy group due to the size) I wish I had gotten their names. The rooms are nicely decorated and the beds are very comfy. Everything was clean! The Pool is nice.. large enough and beautiful seating areas. The NOT SO GOOD (and I say this because nothing was awful). They need towels in the pool area.... they want you to bring them from your rooms but you don't have enough in the room to do that. .. also they seemed a little annoyed when you ask for them at the desk. Our bathroom door would get stuck .. leaving our 9 yr old trapped and panicked for a second. Took my husband to yank it open. Finishing touches needed in the rooms and halls. They are in the middle of a huge remodel and change over... they should bite the bullet and just shut down for a day or two and bang out the finishing touches. There was also an issue with the billing.. i was double billed but I will attribute that to the change over and computer glitches. It was fixed quickly. It is a little over priced for the type of hotel but still your best option in town. In all I would not hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly, don't book thru the 800 number
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We have been at this hotel several times attending the Roy Rogers Festival. The Holiday Inn has been working on the remodeling of a rundown Ramada for almost two years now and have made a lot of progress. I thought it was overpriced given they still have work to do and do not give complimentary breakfasts. The rooms are nice sized although they were stuck with very small bathrooms. Although they still have only one elevator to service the five floors it seemed to be more responsive than I remembered. When we checked into our room and we to bring our luggage in we noticed the door didn't lock behind us. We told a maid and the front desk and were pleased with their quick response. We had 3 people there in a matter of minutes. I thought the staff was very helpful and attentive to our needs.

Is there work to be done? You bet! But compared to the previous facility it's a night and day difference. Tip for the hotel-you might want to spruce up the inside of the elevator. I know, not easy to do when stairs are not readily accessible.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Was recenty in town for my Uncle's Funeral and stayed here with my family. There were a total of 3 rooms. When you walk into the lobby it was a mess, they are doing constrution every where you look. The check-in desk is over in a corner with wires running from the ceiling down so that their computers, phones etc. could be pluged in. We were told that most of the rooms had already be completed and that the rest of the constrution was running about 2 weeks behind. They were offering us a good rate because we were in town for a funeral, so we went ahead and checked in. We went up to our room and found it to be very nice, everything was new and clean. There were a few things that still needed to be completed in the room, but nothing that would stop you from enjoying the room. There were new beds, new blankets, new furniture and a flat screen t.v. and we looked out at the ohio river and the bridge to kentucky. Demons is no longer there and they have a temp resturant which was not all that great, and the cost was very high for what you got. However they did have free breakfast from 6a.m. to 9 a.m. and that was good. You had things like oatmeal, donuts, eggs, toast and you make your own waffles. The waffles were great, fresh ones not frozen ones. I would go back to this hotel with out thnking twice, the staff was nice, and you can see that when the construction is complete it will be a really nice place. Oh, and by the way, you have a small frig. in your room and a micro-wave as well. and free Wi-Fi

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank mymisfit
Reviewed September 18, 2010

This is a former Ramada Inn located in the center of Portsmouth just steps away from the famous flood wal murals...a must see. According to a construction worker with whom I spoke, the top-to-bottom remodeling project currently underway is only 25% complete...at this time. Understandbly then, much of the place is a nasty, dusty construction zone. So....if you're looking for plush right now, go elsewhere.

That said, we had a good nights sleep in a restored room. Also, there is a Damon's rib joint within the hotel complex. Good meal there!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank JayJayLoudonTN
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband & I stayed in this hotel on 8/4/2010 for one night. We were in Portsmouth to visit my 95 year old Aunt who lives nearby. The place was obviously under construction, but we thought it ok for one night. First the elevator was so small the luggage cart would barley fit, plus the wheels on the cart were broken. The hallway leading to our room was strewn with workmen's tools, drills etc. All the vent covers in the hall were off the walls, lying on the floor. The room was dirty, the carpet threadbare and sticky, the shower was filthy. The worst problem was the odor in the room, mildew, mold and dust were apparent. I have been on antibiotics since returning home with a major infection in my lungs. This place should be shut down until totally renovated. The price for this was also totally out of range.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank minny3333
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I called to check on the reviews here, told the supervisor, Angel, what it says here. She assured me that the negatives were not accurate. Boy was she right! We had a very nice room. The place was up to date, nice and clean, quiet. The elevator works about like any other 2-3 star hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! They are centerally located and easy to find.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Quality Inn & Suites
Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center
Super 8 Portsmouth
Super 8 Portsmouth
#3 of 6 in Portsmouth

Been to Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown? Share your experiences!