Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Royal Inn(Portsmouth)
AmeriStay Hotel(Portsmouth)
Comfort Inn(Wheelersburg)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsohio riverfinishing toucheslarge indoor poolhotel optionsflood wallnice hotelking roombed and pillowsclean roomsfamily reunionwithin walking distancewould stay here againeasy accessoscarscontractorsrenovationkroger
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 18, 2010

This is a former Ramada Inn located in the center of Portsmouth just steps away from the famous flood wal murals...a must see. According to a construction worker with whom I spoke, the top-to-bottom remodeling project currently underway is only 25% complete...at this time. Understandbly then, much of the place is a nasty, dusty construction zone. So....if you're looking for plush right now, go elsewhere.

That said, we had a good nights sleep in a restored room. Also, there is a Damon's rib joint within the hotel complex. Good meal there!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank JayJayLoudonTN
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband & I stayed in this hotel on 8/4/2010 for one night. We were in Portsmouth to visit my 95 year old Aunt who lives nearby. The place was obviously under construction, but we thought it ok for one night. First the elevator was so small the luggage cart would barley fit, plus the wheels on the cart were broken. The hallway leading to our room was strewn with workmen's tools, drills etc. All the vent covers in the hall were off the walls, lying on the floor. The room was dirty, the carpet threadbare and sticky, the shower was filthy. The worst problem was the odor in the room, mildew, mold and dust were apparent. I have been on antibiotics since returning home with a major infection in my lungs. This place should be shut down until totally renovated. The price for this was also totally out of range.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank minny3333
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I called to check on the reviews here, told the supervisor, Angel, what it says here. She assured me that the negatives were not accurate. Boy was she right! We had a very nice room. The place was up to date, nice and clean, quiet. The elevator works about like any other 2-3 star hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! They are centerally located and easy to find.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Portsmouth Ohio is a decaying town, so it's not surprising that its best (really, only) hotel located in the central part of town is also decaying. So, if I knew someone who absolutely HAD to stay in Portsmouth, Ohio, I would recommend this hotel. But, only because this is truly the best the town has to offer.

The hotel is located right across the street from the Municipal Courthouse, and is caddy corner to Shawnee State's campus. If you have business in Portsmouth, you're likely there for business at one of those places, so the location is excellent. However, parking is lacking, especially when you consider that it hosts one of the few decent restaurants in town. So, depending on when you check in, you may be fighting dinner customers for parking.

The lobby is newer, but fading. You do have a good view into the pool, which looked to be the best thing about this place. It looked large and inviting, as well as well-kept.

As an aside, I have to say that the service was excellent - before I even arrived they caught the mistake that I was inadvertently reserved for the night before, and reversed the charges that had automatically shown up on my credit card resulting from being a "no-show."

The elevators were excruciatingly slow. The hallways were also fading, with older carpet and peeling wallpaper. The hotel room was smallish, with banged up and dusty furniture. The floors looked clean, but the carpet was sloppily installed and was bubbling up off the floor. It appeared that one could easily trip on the loose carpeting. The beds were firm and small (we had a two double room).

After reading that the previous two reviewers had broken tub stop assemblies lying in the tub, I have to say I was stunned that my room had this problem as well. I cannot understand why, eight and a half months after the previous reviewers started seeing this problem, the hotel still cannot fix its bathtubs. It did make me feel like I was at a Days Inn, rather than a Ramada.

In the morning, the breakfast was adequate.

I would stay here again if I had business in Portsmouth.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I'm sure this facility was something a few decades back, but it's showing its age now. The room was adequate and everything worked, which I had feared otherwise when I peeked in the shower and saw the stopper assembly sitting in the tub. I wasn't there long enough to try the pool, although I did have dinner at the on-site Damon's. The restaurant could use a renovation itself (there was one big screen TV, but of the four tube models behind the bar the one showing the Reds game barely had a picture). Check-in and check-out staff were polite and the room rate was reasonable, which keeps this review from being more negative.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business