“Not a place for non smokers”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed with my family at Comfort Inn on the night of 7/7/12...I informed the front desk that the
room stunk really bad...like a party of smokers just left the room... it was so bad I tried to stay at other hotels in the area but no luck...the second hand smoke gave us headaches...Manager Van Horn said that it's a smoker hotel and there isn't really anything that can be done..If you can tolerate stinky smelly rooms with a nice rear pool view this hotel is for you....Don't ask for a non smokers room they don't exist

Room Tip: a non smoke room won't make a difference
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank idonraul

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My family held their reunion in the Port Clinton area this year. I blocked 20 rooms at the Comfort Inn. All the staff was wonderful and very friendly and helpful. The deck that overlooks Lake Erie is wonderful. My whole family really enjoyed visiting in such a beautiful location. The pool is nice as well. The rooms were clean but a little outdated. Could you a remodel, but they were clean, no peeling wall paper or anything that did not work. Thanks to the staff for helping make our reunion wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Cleanliness- the cleanliness of the hotel was pretty good! There was a red stain on my sheets, later found out to be ketchup. There were also may flies, but they didn't bother us.
Location- the location was wonderful. There's a small pool right there, and there's a pavilion you can sit at to get a great view of the lake!
Rooms- they were pretty small.
Service- the service was wonderful! They were all so nice and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I chose this motel because of its convenience to Crane Creek State Park, one of the best places to observe migrating songbirds in the USA, if not the world. It is only 20 miles to Crane Creek where, even though early in the migration season (4/19), I found Baltimore orioles, five species of warblers, bald eagles, and many others. I got a great off-season rate ($45 + tax), in-room jacuzzi, and a nice view of Sandusky Bay with a great blue heron outside my window and a flock of ruddy ducks viewed from the deck. Breakfast was fine.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Went there to get a day away. The cost was $49 for a king Jacuzzi suite. (I understand it was the off season.) The hotel was passable for the price. However, they need to spend some time with some elbow grease and update the place. Sealing the deck; updating the rooms; and just overall remodel are needed. Don't get me wrong, it is not totally out of date. It is just getting pretty close. It is unfortunate because the location is tremendous. The breakfast food was also pretty poor. You could have used the cooked eggs as coasters for your drinks. Would I stay again? For $49, probably. For more than that, I would be disappointed..

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I want to give this place a better rating because the staff are excellent and the room does the job. The "lake view" is heavily obscured by Burger King and trees but the room is fine and clean enough. The location is right on the lake with various junk food, grocery and other stores at the doorstep and the area seems safe. But there are a few problems.

The wifi didn't work in my room. I suspect it would work in the rooms closest to reception though as it was fine in the breakfast room.

There are ants in the jacuzzi and centipedes in the room. I'm pretty sure the centipedes are harmless but I hear their presence can sometimes be a clue to deeper insect problems.

The water pressure is pretty bad. I was all set to give this place 3/5 until I couldn't get the shampoo out of my hair in the morning. It takes a long time to warm up too.

Definitely not the worst place I've stayed but I suspect you can find better in the price range.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 7, 2012

A big group of us stay in Port Clinton every year and it has migrated from hotel to hotel as some end up being pretty terrible. It's not easy to find a hotel on the lake with ACCESS to the lake and the Comfort Inn is one of the few in the area that does.

What this place has going for it is location and the pool area which is one of the nicer ones in the area. The pool is really nice and is kept clean and the cabana is nice to have some shade. I wish they had more chairs but it is what it is. The sunsets from here are unreal. The breakfasts here are also pretty decent for being "free" and I loved the change of flavors for the belgian waffles (the vanilla is delicious!).

What this place doesn't have going for it is the rooms. They aren't the greatest. If you know you're going to be in and out of the pool area often request a room toward the end of the hall so you aren't constantly hiking back and forth. The bonus is that you should also have a nice lake view from your room as well. The beds are pretty stiff and uncomfortable and are not the cleanest you will find. However, this area is not really a high end place and it could be worse (I'm looking at you Best Budget Inn).

It's nice to be able to walk to some food options from here (Big Boy, Burger King and the Jolly Roger) as well as to be able to use the ramp to get into the lake.

Also note: keep an eye on your credit card charges especially if you are renting with a group. Last year despite my changing the reservation to my card prior to check in and AT check in they still managed to bill the person that made the reservation's credit card despite my asking, many times to verify the charge was in fact going to MY card. When I figured it out and called no one would give me the manager and when I finally resorted to email I never got a reply.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north end are all suites with king beds and a whirlpool. However note that the rooms h...
Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends