“Great views and pool!”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Cleveland, OH
“Great views and pool!”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here with our boys 2 and 6 years old. We stayed in a lake view room with a jacuzzi tub which was an attraction in itself for the kids. The views were great, the pool was fun and the breakfast was good. The staff at breakfast went so far as to make our waffles for us since the batter ran out! We took day trips to Put-in-Bay and Kelleys Island. We caught Millers Ferry which was about 10 minutes away and then Kelleys Island Ferry from Marblehead which was about 15 minutes. Both were great day trips!

Room Tip: They say they don't allow kids in jacuzzi rooms, but it didn't seem to be a problem for us.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Rootstown, OH
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Just stayed here last week for 3 days/2 nights. Check In was a breeze and the ladies were very nice and accommodating. Got a king room on the first floor and upon walking into the incredibly dark room and turning on the lights the first thing we noticed was the horribly dirty & old carpet - yuck! The window had dead mayflies all over the outside screen and our view was blocked by the overhang of tree limbs which made it very dark inside the room even with the curtain all the way open. The king bed was very comfortable and the pillows were very soft but the sofa bed was horribly uncomfortable (which most of them usually are). The location is great and the pool and deck area overlooking the lake are really nice as well. However, the pool is much smaller than it looks in photos - almost too small for this size hotel. Wish there was a beach area here, but we went about a 1/2 mile down the road towards the Jet Express and had a blast at the park/beach area there. We also had no microwave which I thought was standard in this room, but we really didn't need it so no big deal. This hotel could stand a little updating at least new carpet and trimming the trees back so you really can get a view of the lake.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Kaycee811
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed July 7, 2011

The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location and view. My family and I were first put into a nasty smelling smoking room, then moved to a slightly less stinky non-smoking room. The entire hotel stunk of either smoke or sewage. We paid extra for a "larger" lakefront room and it was not worth it! My family and I were practically tripping over each other in the tiny room. Everything about the hotel is old and outdated. It was so bad, we checked out a day early because everyone was miserable! The hotel is in an ideal location, but beyond repair. It needs to be torn down and a nice 3 star property put in it's place.
We were there in late June and the mayflies were swarming. It was so bad we couldn't step outside without tons of them landing on us. These creepy bugs were everywhere! The pool and deck were covered to the point we couldn't even use it. It was like a horror movie. My daughters were in tears and wouldn't leave the room.

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms, but the view is nice from the lakefront rooms
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank stellar5

Travelers are raving about these Port Clinton hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 21, 2011

hotel was no t on there toes this year was not given the right room on our fist day there had to change rooms on the third day was told at check in that the hotel bill would be taken care of on check out boy that was a mess,the lady at the desk was ok until check out then she could not be bothered with me turning in my key had to ask what to do with it,the need a manager there all the time they have some young girls working there who could not even take our payment for the room when we checked in,needless to say i will not be there again,the rooms were clean and i did not see any bed bugs but we were on the bottom floor,i love the view of the lake it is great but the hotel staff just was bad this year ,needs some help in that!!!!
tina and james in ohio

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tinaandjames2011
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed June 17, 2011

When we got up the next morning the nightstand was covered in ants. I called the manager to the room and her responnse was "Where did they come from?" Never apologized and as i was still talkiing to her, she walked out of the room. Check out You Tube Comfort Inn-Port Clinton, OH. I hope the other people were more successful at getting a refund. Basically was told this is the season for ants and bugs at that hotel. Seems if they already know that, they would get it sprayed periodically.

4 Thank watash_11
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This motel was conveniently located to restaurants and all the attractions in the Port Clinton and Marblehead area... and not far from Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky.

The good things: the room and bathroom were clean, the beds were comfortable and had linens that actually fit the mattresses - something that I find harder and harder to find in moderately priced motels/hotels nowadays. The air conditioner was well up to the task of dealing with the heat and humidity of the area although it relentlessly cycled from off to cool to off to cool; if the fan could be run continuously it would be much less bothersome. The free breakfast was adequate and much appreciated.

The bad things: the pillows on the beds were only half sized and made of a too-stiff foam material; during the two nights I stayed I could never find a comfortable way to position them. Smoke from the smoking rooms intruded heavily into parts of the nonsmoking areas late into the night (including my room); there should be more of a barrier so that we nonsmokers don't have to deal with this. Parking was extremely cramped since the motel was sited on a very narrow strip of land. See the note above about the cycling of the air conditioner.

Room Tip: Nonsmokers, get a room far from the smokers
3 Thank Ed M
Oregon, Ohio
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for one night THANK GOD!!! because I have been eatin' alive by bed bugs!!!! We stayed in room 223 or 224. Before climbing in bed I checked for bed bugs but did not see any. However now that I am at home&in stronger light I have discovered that my entire abdomen front, sides &back are covered with red bite marks. My upper thighs and lower legs are also bitten up.
I find this very disgusting since I am a nurse. I knew of an outbreak of bedbugs in the Port Clinton/ Sandusky area last summer. This is precisely why I wore long sleeve pajama bottoms&a top with a sweat jacket. I just hope that this begins to clear up so I am able to work without having to stop every 5 minutes to scratch a bite mark.
I plan on spending a lot extra to stay on the island at a hotel or B&B where hopefully there are no bed bugs &and I can save myself an hour's worth of walking because someone forgot to have a shuttle come pick there guests.

3 Thank martini20020
care4uOhio, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
We are aware of the spreading bed bug problem accross the United States, we take all allegations very seriously. After investigating this room and the surrounding rooms on the property we found no sign of bed bugs. We are located on the shore of Lake Erie so we acknowledge the fact that some bugs (ants, spiders, may flies) do find there way into the hotel. We have pest control on property every 30 days to limit the amount of insects that come into the property. In addition to this our housekeepers inspect the rooms on a daily basis to assure that the room does not have any unwanted visitors. We apologize for your dissatisfied stay with us.