“july fourth vacation”

Best Western Port Clinton
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed July 12, 2012

all of the staff members bent over backward to be sure that our stay was pleasant...The only thing that was not up to par was the pool...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jerlor

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I am seldom disappointed at a Best Western. The blend of franchise and local ownership tends to work well. I was in Port Clinton for a conference and booked this hotel based on price and proximity to where I needed to be.

All the staff were friendly, knowledgable and helpful. The room was comfortable, clean and even had a refrigerator and microwave. The internet access went down once, but was up again in short order.

The continental breakfast was good. It had protein (hard boiled eggs), yogurt and fruit as well as the usual carbs.

All in all, this was a very comfortable place to stay while visiting Port Clinton. The outdoor pool looked fine--did not use because of time constraints in our visit.

Very satisfied. While likely stay there again if I visit Port Clinton in the future.

Room Tip: Visit Phil's Inn (Next door) great Italian food with local history/color.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank David B
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We got this hotel on hotwire. It is not fancy and the rooms are somewhat dated. However, I was happy with the room, for the price: the bed was very comfortable, the premises were clean. The breakfast was very good, especially the waffles. Amanda at the front desk was very helpful.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank janavs
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed one night and we did not have any issues. The hotel and our room was clean and the staff was mostly friendly and helpful (one recommended us a restaurant and it was delicious). Our beds were comfortable, the TV was a nice flat screen, and there was a small fridge and microwave in the room. We did not eat the continental breakfast. We went across the street and ate at Big Boy. We had a view of the pool which looked nice (too cold and rainy for use to utilize though).

Room Tip: If you get a room facing the front of the hotel, you can see Lake Erie.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Denise B
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stay here for spring walleye fishing. Nothing great, but very friendly and accommodating. They volunteer to start the continental breakfast early when they find we have to get up an hour before breakfast is planned(not like they have a lot to do at that time any way). They ask if there are any special requests. The room and beds are just ok, but feel great after a long day on the water. Our little home for 4 days in the spring. Restaurants nearby-Mc D-Big Boy
Convenience store gas station also.
Drawback-Train whistles 2 AM

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank tsamp
Jane S, General Manager at Best Western Port Clinton, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

We are glad you stayed with us for your fishing trip.
We have many fishermen that stay with us and we know
fishing starts early sometimes.
Breakfast can start as early as 5AM if asked for at desk.
Cofffee even earlier.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

The staff here is friendly. The room has a very musky old hotel smell which gave me a headache. Nothing in the room with plugged in. There were no garbage bags in the trash cans. We arrived and left at night so I'm not sure on how great the location is. Though there are a few fast food places around here. Not many guests so it was quiet. The shower definitely showed signs of age/wear. Breakfast was average. Not exactly what I would expect from a Best Western. Wouldn't recommend a long term stay here, but will due for short stays.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Have stayed at this hotel a few times over the past several years and was always satisfied-- until this time. For the price, it was always quite acceptable--being clean, quiet, safe, easily accessible, and comfortable. This time though, my opinion has changed--and for future visits to the area will pay more and stay somewhere else that is hopefully nicer. For $55 I don't expect a luxury hotel, but the quality at this facility has gone downhill. All hotel rooms have what I call that "hotel room smell." That "smell" was almost overwhelming this time to the point that I almost gagged when first opening the door and walking into the room. Hair was found on the bathroom lavatory top area, and there was, what appeared to be a "bugger" on the bed sheet when throwing back the cover; I had to kill two flies that were buzzing around the room. My bill had a charge on it for an in-room safe, which I did not know was in the room, did not request, and did not use--yet, was charged for this safe. After a convincing phone conversation with the clerk when arriving back home and examining the billing detail (as I had only looked at the total amt. due at check-out [my fault]), my credit card was credited for this in-room safe fee. The continental breakfast was nothing short of PITIFUL! Almost EVERYTHING was loaded with sugar. The coffee and hard boiled eggs were good, but there was not enough variety of foods. NO fresh fruit AT ALL (there always has been, in the past). I must give credit to the friendly desk clerks at check-in and check-out, and at check-in was given a ground floor room when I requested one. I will NOT stay at this hotel again. This is an older hotel and the outside appearance looks nice, but if this hotel is to stay in operation and be a success, it needs a good cleaning/sanitizing/deodorizing done to it. At this time of year, the outdoor pool is closed (after Labor Day) due to it being cooler weather. The bed was comfortable, I must say.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank RJ D
Jane S, Manager at Best Western Port Clinton, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

We have a staff available 24 hours for any problems or concerns during your
stay. We do inspect all rooms before our guests check-in. If there is ever a
problem with the room we would like to know about it during the stay so we can correct
the problem.
I am sorry you were disappointed with the breakfast. We have all items required by
Best Western. Bagels, english muffins, 4 types of cereal, donuts, hard boiled eggs,
Waffle iron for freshly made waffles. Juice, Milk and Coffee. We also have apples and oranges.
While we try very hard to keep the breakfast bar stocked for each guest please ask if
something is missing.
I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay.
We want all of our guests to have a comfortable stay with us.