“Had a great time at the Beachfront”
Review of Beachfront Resort

Beachfront Resort
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Rocky River, Ohio
“Had a great time at the Beachfront”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Beachfront Resort last week for a couple of nights and had a great time. Everyone we met (and we met A LOT of people) were sooo nice. Mary at the front desk was very helpful in offering recommendations for restaurants, bars, discount tickets for Jet Express, etc. The motel is rather simple, but it's affordable, clean and has all the amenities we needed for a couple of nights. Beds were comfortable, we couldn't hear people in the rooms next to us.

The motel is directly on a small beach with easy entrance to the lake (no rocks, etc.). You can walk very far out into the water from this location. There is also a deck overlooking the water with plenty of lounge chairs, picnic tables, etc. There's a volleyball net, cornhole boards, lots of beach lounge chairs. There's also a really nice outdoor bar which has recently been completely renovated and a restaurant. Directly adjacen there is jet ski, paddleboat and kayak rentals, which is very convenient. I wouldn't say the motel is within walking distance of the Jet Express, but it's a very short drive.

Only a few small negatives: only one-cup coffee makers in the room, and the coffee in the lobby is pretty nasty. Continental breakfast is served at the hotel across the street. And on Friday morning there was some heavy machinery making noise early in the morning, redistributing sand on the beach. I think this was in preparation for the beach party that was scheduled for later that day, but really? 7:30 a.m.??

We'll be back. We had a great time and would highly recommend the motel if you're looking to get away for a couple nights or if you want to stay near Put in Bay but don't want to pay the high prices over there.

Room Tip: There are two nice waterfront king jacuzzi suites
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gnomeme

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of staying at the Beachfront Resort in Port Clinton Friday July 14 to Sunday July 17, 2011. We were in Port Clinton in 2010 and were walking around when we came across the Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant. We had a great meal at Docks and then stopped at the Beachfront Resort office to pick up a business card and get some information as a potential place to stay the next time we were in Port Clinton. Marge was at the desk and told us about the new owner and the upcoming renovations for next year. We were sold. We picked up a business card and discussed on the way back home that we wanted to stay at Beachfront Resort next year when we came to Port Clinton. Two months later called to make our reservations for the extended weekend of July 14-17. Between then and a couple of weeks before we arrived, I must have spoken to Wanda at least 4 times making sure my reservation was "A-ok" (I was concerned in regards to the computer system not being up and running yet) She was always so patient and cheerful with me. =) Day of Arrival came for our Port Clinton vacation. Wow! what a great choice! We had a room on the 2nd Floor 202. We were almost at the end but not quite. OUTSTANDING view! The MOTEL (I am emphasizing the word Motel so that uppity pretentious people who are looking for the Ritz Carlton can keep on moving thus avoiding their negative commentary later). room was very clean. had a king size bed as requested..a great refrigerator..sink..microwave..coffee maker....and..whoa...what is this.....A king size jacuzzi tub....Very Nice... Air conditioning worked great....Made great use of all amenities during our stay. Something that impressed me a lot about the Beachfront Resort is that Marge, Wanda, Mary, and others worked as a team in ALL aspects of making sure that things were running smoothly from working the front desk to cleaning the rooms to checking on people out on the deck.. Plenty of Deck Space facing Lake Erie for those wanting to hang out and take in the sun. Between the Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant was this great private beach that had plenty of upright and lounge chairs as well as quite a cache of toys for small children. Private beach also had several fire pits that could be used for late night fellowship. Docks Restaurant also came under new ownership and was nicely renovated from when we were there last time. The set up was really nice. Having the Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant and the private beach all together was very nice. We dined at Docks 3 times Good food. Live Entertainment. Service was decent. Everyone who was working was working hard. Overheard that they had been plagued with bartenders/servers (SLUGS) calling in sick en masse.. Twice for Dinner and once for lunch. NOTE TO ACCOUNTANT MICHAEL: I was able to use my American Express card to reserve and pay for my room at the Beachfront Resort and unable to use my American Express at Docks Restaurant. This is something that I would like to see changed the next time I return. =) The Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant are all part of what i will call "Mr. Ed's Lake Erie Empire" (which also includes the Commodore Perry Inns and Mr.Ed's. at Port Clinton and Put-In-Bay, Mist and I believe a few other establishments in Toledo and Sandusky) The Beachfront Resort office closes at 6 and then you can contact the Commodore Perry Inn and Business for any sort of needs due to same ownership. Beachfront Resort attendees can also use the Commodore's indoor pool. We had everything we needed between Beachfront Resort and Docks Restaurant and never used Commodore Inn. We did venture over to Mr. Ed's across the street one night, but turned around when they had a $3 cover charge. There are NO COOLERS allowed on the beach. You can drink on the beach, but only if those drinks are purchased at Docks Restaurant (due to their liquor license). If you let the Docks staff know you are on the beach and drinking...they will check on you and bring drinks to you! =) You can drink your own drinks on the Beachfront Resort DECKS as they are part of the Beachfront Resort. On Saturday, my girlfriend's sister and her family joined us from Cleveland. We had a great visit on the beach and in the water. Girlfriend's sister had two boys..5 and 10...They had a wonderful time inside and outside the water. The beach was very clean and the water was shallow enough for us all to travel pretty far out into the water. Nice Sand bar to walk on. No squiggly wiggly plants and things under your toes. Another great perk in regards to staying at Beachfront Resort is the fact that you are in walking distance of so many things. It's a short walk across the draw bridge and you can take Jet Express to Put-In-Bay or explore downtown Port Clinton. We barely used our car from the time we arrived until when we left. It was an OUTSTANDING stay and an OUTSTANDING vacation. We talked a bit on the way home about maybe staying at Put-In Bay next year, but after discussion..decided that Put-In-Bay is at most a "Day Trip" and being there at night with the college crowd would not necessarily be all that fun. If you are in Port Clinton for a fun vacation as a couple or with the kiddies....Beachfront Resort is the place to stay. I happily paid $500 for my 3 nights there. It's comparable to other hotel properties in Port Clinton that don't have the benefit of the location and/or the amenities. I understand that for Port Clinton and Put-in-Bay the season is April to October...after that..It's a ghost town. Beachfront Resort is where we will stay whenever we are in Port Clinton.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank indyfuntraveler
Marietta, Ohio
Reviewed July 12, 2011

The rooms were very clean and the staff was fun and friendly. The hotel is located right on the waters edge. All rooms have a great view of Lake Erie and is within walking distance of the Jet Express to Put-In-Bay Island. We enjoyed the private beach with fire pits, corn hole games, beach volleyball, horseshoes or just relaxing in deck chairs on the waters edge. We could sit on the balcony and enjoy the sunset over the lake every evening after our day of sight-seeing. We will absolutely be back next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MKinMarietta
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Arrived home yesterday afternoon and wanted and wanted to let others know about the Beachfront Resort in Port Clinton, Ohio. It may be a mistake because when we want to make reservations the next time, it may be full! Just remember my review and see if we can get in!

We arrived on Wednesday about 12:30 p.m. and we able to check in right away. Margie, the manager, was so friendly (as were Wendy and Diane). We were given a room on the second floor and got our bags in the room and then decided to go to Docks to have some lobster bisque for lunch. On our way down the steps, Margie stopped us and said that she noticed I was limping (I had a minor surgery on my leg) and she would see if she could move our room to the first floor. We were eating on Docks' patio and could see Margie and Wendy moving our stuff downstairs to a first floor room. Then Margie walked over and gave us our new room keys. After lunch we decided to sit on the lounge chairs to catch some sun. Then it was back to Docks for dinner.

They are renovating the rooms at the Beachfront Resort. Our first room had carpeting, the second room has been tiled (a much better idea for a place on the beach). The room had a small fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and a small bar sink. I wish there had been towel racks in the room. The bathroom just had one hook above the toilet and no towel racks around the sinks. The air conditioning was WONDERFUL! As a previous report stated, there were no phones in the room. Certainly did not miss them. Everyone has cell phones anyway. What we did miss was the remote to the television. It did not work and there was no one at the front desk (it closes at 6 p.m.) to check with.

Thursday was our day at Put In Bay. We were told that there is a continental breakfast over at the Commodore Perry. We tried it and found it was so-so. Then on our way to The Jet Express. The Jet Express was easy to walk to right across the drawbridge. Just remember, you have to walk back across and if you have bought too much wine at the winery, it has to be carried back along with everything else you bought on the island! We turned on the TV and remembered the remote did not work. I took it to the front desk and found another guest was there with her and was having the same problems. Diane tried changing the batteries. That worked for the woman in the room beside ours, but not in our remote. She then called the manager over at the Commodore Perry who brought new batteries over. They did not work either. We told them to forget it because it wasn't that important. Then it was across the street to Mr. Ed's at the Commodore Perry and their "famous pizza." After dinner, we sat on the deck at the Beachfront Resort and listened to the entertainment across the beach at Docks.

Friday we got up and packed up so we could get on the road at a decent hour. When we went to turn in our keys, it was like leaving a friend. Margie was there and kept apologizing about the remote.

Everything we needed was within walking distance. We never took the car out of the parking lot. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank jlc314
Masury
Reviewed June 21, 2011

My wife and I went to Port Clinton for our anniversary this past weekend and stayed from Thursday until Sunday. It had been approx 7 yrs since we were last up there, and loved this place then even though we didn't stay there. When we arrived we were in complete awww. They have done sooooo much with the place. It was great from the time we got out of the car and were greated by Wanda the lady working the desk. She got us checked in and told about the live entertainment going on at Dock's the bar on the beach which is located on the same property as the hotel. Our night room was clean and comfy, and we enjoyed ourselves to a nice sunset over looking Lake Erie while sipping drinkings on the beach at Dock's Beach House. We had a chance to meet "Mr. Ed" the owner of the place, and he told us about his hotel and bar across the street, and how both places work together to let the guest use either the indoor pool at Commadore Perry Inn or how those guest can use the beautiful deck at BeachFront that sits on the beach.
On our second day we upgraded our room to the King Suite. It was a beautiful room with a nice big comfy king bed, jacuzzi tub that was very large, and a kitchenette. This room also had a big bay window that overlooked the entire lake. It was BEAUTIFUL.....Thanks you Marge (the manager) for letting us see it, and letting us know about the special that was going on. We made the upgrade for the rest of the weekend.
This place was very nice. I'd recommend it to anyone for any reason. We went as a couple, but are planning to return before the summer is over with our kids. There is a nice groomed beach between the hotel and Dock's. The beach is fenced in with a wooden boardwalk between them. They have a beach volleyball court, corn hole games set up, and various toys for the kids to play with. Not to mention access to water . They also have loung chairs on the deck of the hotel, as well as lounge chairs on the beach, chairs and tables on the beach along with several fire rings for evening fires. (wood is provided by them) There is also a jet ski rental located on the far side of Dock's, but not owned by them. I didn't venture over there.
Overall the staff was GREAT. Wanda and Marge ROCKED, there was a lady that worked in the evening named Diane. Didn't get to talk to much with her, but when I did she cracked me up. Mr. Ed was a really nice guy, and the folks at Docks were very nice and inviting too. This in my opnion has to be the best place to stay in Port Clinton for the best price.

Room Tip: Make friends with the staff, they helped us
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Flanson
tradewinds10, Manager at Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
On behalf of the entire staff at all of our Port Clinton properties (Beachfront Resort Motel, Dock's Beach House Restaurant, Commodore Perry Inn, and Mr. Ed's Bar & Grille) we thank you for your kind words and shared experience. Our owner, Ed Fitzgerald, whom you met, is very proud of the improvements he has invested in over the past 9 months, particularly the complete renovation of Dock's Beach House and major upgrades to the Beachfront Resort Motel. We're not done yet, with more improvements planned throughout the coming year. We look forward to your return trip with the kids!
detroit, michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Location, Location, Location - That's about all this place has going for it. It is a gorgeous piece of property with a wonderful boardwalk/deck, lots of sand and a tiki hut. I was, however, surprised the other reviews were so positive. My room was dirty - mildew in the bathtub, something smeared on the table. The decor, linens and carpet are old, outdated and shabby. The bedspread was so old and slippery it practically felt wet. One huge plus is the microwave and mini-fridge in every room, which was very convenient. I ran out of toilet paper and called the front desk (on my cell phone because there are NO PHONES in the rooms), and I was told I had to come down to get it. I think someone came in my room while I was out because my dirty towels were gone, but they never emptied the garbage or replaced the towels or made the bed or replaced the empty toilet paper roll! Also, if you are trying to make reservations during the "off months," good luck. I had to trade phone calls with the manager literally for 2 months to finally get hold of her. The front desk also closes at 6, so I am not sure what you do if you need something after that (I think you need to call the hotel across the street). Lots of smoking everywhere (not the rooms, but everywhere else) - this place seems to be a magnet for smokers. And, the restaurant/bar next door has bands that play until after midnight.

Dirty, poor service, loud, shabby room, but certainly a fantastic location and convenient to a lot of other things.. I understand the Commodore is nicer and is owned by the same people, so you have access to the Beachfront's boardwalk/deck/tiki hut and beach. Next time I'll stay there. No question.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank JenniferTtraveler

Travelers are raving about these Port Clinton hotels

Pa.
Reviewed September 25, 2009

This place is truely a gem. The customer service is outstanding. Staff went out of the way to assist with any needs. The rooms are spacious and very clean.The grounds are just as pictured. Perfect spot right on the beach with relaxing deck overlooking the lake. They provide wood for a firepit on site. We toasted marshmellows on the beach at night while listening to a good band playing at the adjoining restaurant while chatting with fellow guests. Docks Beachside Grille on site was very good. A very easy walk to Jet Express for day trip to Put-in-Bay. Although staff is not available at night, in a quaint little place like this, it is really not needed. Enjoy it for what it is!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
#3 of 17 in Port Clinton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!