“We Were Treated Like Royalty!”
Review of Beachfront Resort

Beachfront Resort
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
“We Were Treated Like Royalty!”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Arrived home yesterday afternoon and wanted and wanted to let others know about the Beachfront Resort in Port Clinton, Ohio. It may be a mistake because when we want to make reservations the next time, it may be full! Just remember my review and see if we can get in!

We arrived on Wednesday about 12:30 p.m. and we able to check in right away. Margie, the manager, was so friendly (as were Wendy and Diane). We were given a room on the second floor and got our bags in the room and then decided to go to Docks to have some lobster bisque for lunch. On our way down the steps, Margie stopped us and said that she noticed I was limping (I had a minor surgery on my leg) and she would see if she could move our room to the first floor. We were eating on Docks' patio and could see Margie and Wendy moving our stuff downstairs to a first floor room. Then Margie walked over and gave us our new room keys. After lunch we decided to sit on the lounge chairs to catch some sun. Then it was back to Docks for dinner.

They are renovating the rooms at the Beachfront Resort. Our first room had carpeting, the second room has been tiled (a much better idea for a place on the beach). The room had a small fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and a small bar sink. I wish there had been towel racks in the room. The bathroom just had one hook above the toilet and no towel racks around the sinks. The air conditioning was WONDERFUL! As a previous report stated, there were no phones in the room. Certainly did not miss them. Everyone has cell phones anyway. What we did miss was the remote to the television. It did not work and there was no one at the front desk (it closes at 6 p.m.) to check with.

Thursday was our day at Put In Bay. We were told that there is a continental breakfast over at the Commodore Perry. We tried it and found it was so-so. Then on our way to The Jet Express. The Jet Express was easy to walk to right across the drawbridge. Just remember, you have to walk back across and if you have bought too much wine at the winery, it has to be carried back along with everything else you bought on the island! We turned on the TV and remembered the remote did not work. I took it to the front desk and found another guest was there with her and was having the same problems. Diane tried changing the batteries. That worked for the woman in the room beside ours, but not in our remote. She then called the manager over at the Commodore Perry who brought new batteries over. They did not work either. We told them to forget it because it wasn't that important. Then it was across the street to Mr. Ed's at the Commodore Perry and their "famous pizza." After dinner, we sat on the deck at the Beachfront Resort and listened to the entertainment across the beach at Docks.

Friday we got up and packed up so we could get on the road at a decent hour. When we went to turn in our keys, it was like leaving a friend. Margie was there and kept apologizing about the remote.

Everything we needed was within walking distance. We never took the car out of the parking lot. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank jlc314

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Masury
Reviewed June 21, 2011

My wife and I went to Port Clinton for our anniversary this past weekend and stayed from Thursday until Sunday. It had been approx 7 yrs since we were last up there, and loved this place then even though we didn't stay there. When we arrived we were in complete awww. They have done sooooo much with the place. It was great from the time we got out of the car and were greated by Wanda the lady working the desk. She got us checked in and told about the live entertainment going on at Dock's the bar on the beach which is located on the same property as the hotel. Our night room was clean and comfy, and we enjoyed ourselves to a nice sunset over looking Lake Erie while sipping drinkings on the beach at Dock's Beach House. We had a chance to meet "Mr. Ed" the owner of the place, and he told us about his hotel and bar across the street, and how both places work together to let the guest use either the indoor pool at Commadore Perry Inn or how those guest can use the beautiful deck at BeachFront that sits on the beach.
On our second day we upgraded our room to the King Suite. It was a beautiful room with a nice big comfy king bed, jacuzzi tub that was very large, and a kitchenette. This room also had a big bay window that overlooked the entire lake. It was BEAUTIFUL.....Thanks you Marge (the manager) for letting us see it, and letting us know about the special that was going on. We made the upgrade for the rest of the weekend.
This place was very nice. I'd recommend it to anyone for any reason. We went as a couple, but are planning to return before the summer is over with our kids. There is a nice groomed beach between the hotel and Dock's. The beach is fenced in with a wooden boardwalk between them. They have a beach volleyball court, corn hole games set up, and various toys for the kids to play with. Not to mention access to water . They also have loung chairs on the deck of the hotel, as well as lounge chairs on the beach, chairs and tables on the beach along with several fire rings for evening fires. (wood is provided by them) There is also a jet ski rental located on the far side of Dock's, but not owned by them. I didn't venture over there.
Overall the staff was GREAT. Wanda and Marge ROCKED, there was a lady that worked in the evening named Diane. Didn't get to talk to much with her, but when I did she cracked me up. Mr. Ed was a really nice guy, and the folks at Docks were very nice and inviting too. This in my opnion has to be the best place to stay in Port Clinton for the best price.

Room Tip: Make friends with the staff, they helped us
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Flanson
tradewinds10, Manager at Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
On behalf of the entire staff at all of our Port Clinton properties (Beachfront Resort Motel, Dock's Beach House Restaurant, Commodore Perry Inn, and Mr. Ed's Bar & Grille) we thank you for your kind words and shared experience. Our owner, Ed Fitzgerald, whom you met, is very proud of the improvements he has invested in over the past 9 months, particularly the complete renovation of Dock's Beach House and major upgrades to the Beachfront Resort Motel. We're not done yet, with more improvements planned throughout the coming year. We look forward to your return trip with the kids!
detroit, michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Location, Location, Location - That's about all this place has going for it. It is a gorgeous piece of property with a wonderful boardwalk/deck, lots of sand and a tiki hut. I was, however, surprised the other reviews were so positive. My room was dirty - mildew in the bathtub, something smeared on the table. The decor, linens and carpet are old, outdated and shabby. The bedspread was so old and slippery it practically felt wet. One huge plus is the microwave and mini-fridge in every room, which was very convenient. I ran out of toilet paper and called the front desk (on my cell phone because there are NO PHONES in the rooms), and I was told I had to come down to get it. I think someone came in my room while I was out because my dirty towels were gone, but they never emptied the garbage or replaced the towels or made the bed or replaced the empty toilet paper roll! Also, if you are trying to make reservations during the "off months," good luck. I had to trade phone calls with the manager literally for 2 months to finally get hold of her. The front desk also closes at 6, so I am not sure what you do if you need something after that (I think you need to call the hotel across the street). Lots of smoking everywhere (not the rooms, but everywhere else) - this place seems to be a magnet for smokers. And, the restaurant/bar next door has bands that play until after midnight.

Dirty, poor service, loud, shabby room, but certainly a fantastic location and convenient to a lot of other things.. I understand the Commodore is nicer and is owned by the same people, so you have access to the Beachfront's boardwalk/deck/tiki hut and beach. Next time I'll stay there. No question.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank JenniferTtraveler

Travelers are raving about these Port Clinton hotels

Pa.
Reviewed September 25, 2009

This place is truely a gem. The customer service is outstanding. Staff went out of the way to assist with any needs. The rooms are spacious and very clean.The grounds are just as pictured. Perfect spot right on the beach with relaxing deck overlooking the lake. They provide wood for a firepit on site. We toasted marshmellows on the beach at night while listening to a good band playing at the adjoining restaurant while chatting with fellow guests. Docks Beachside Grille on site was very good. A very easy walk to Jet Express for day trip to Put-in-Bay. Although staff is not available at night, in a quaint little place like this, it is really not needed. Enjoy it for what it is!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank htmsnag
Cleveland, ohio
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Since there are no recent reviews i thought i'd write one. Things are pretty much as others described except for those who like to complain cuz the place is clean & very
friendly. I wanted to give a heads up on things others did not mention.

One thing that was strange but worked was our jacuzzi (which was full size, not tub size) was in the center of the room & doubled as the shower. The lakefront room next to us had the only corner jacuzzi & separate shower. Also all rooms have sink areas outside the bath of which i am not a fan.

Being from Cleveland, we know this area is known for 'Put in Bay'. For a day trip with the family or for the nightlife, we highly recommend the trip, though the jet express is not cheap. ($52 round trip for 2 with coupon from front desk)

If staying in Port Clinton on a Sunday night, the town shuts down by 8:00 pm, or just stay at the resort cuz it has everything, which is hard to find a place like this on our northcoast!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank t_boneCleveland_ohio
Virginia
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Stayed here for one night while visiting family in the area. Booked based on tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed. Rooms were large, clean and quiet--staff was very friendly and accomodating--and the beach area is great. Plenty of places to sit--sun or shade--during the day and welcoming fire pits on the beach at night. Just a short walk over a cool old drawbridge to town--and the resort's bar and restaurant are fine for basic beach food and cold beer. I think Beachfront Resort is very good value for the $

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — I could only stay one night--would have loved to spend 3-4 days
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank southernbychoice37
ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2008

After researching trip advisor my husband and I picked Beachfront Resort It is an older hotel but the room was clean
and spacious (double queen). The weird things were no phone in room and after 10 P.M. no one is at the front desk. But while they were there staff was pleasant. Now for the outside, it can't be beat. Lake front deck with comfortable chairs, grills and a hut
for thoses who want the shade. The sand beach area has games, furinture and fire pits (hotel supplies the wood) Close by yyou can get food at the bar and on weekends there is entertainment. Now for the lake not deep at all so small children
can enjoy the water and sand GREAT PLACE due to the atmosphere.

• Liked — area outside
  • Disliked — older room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
#3 of 17 in Port Clinton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!