“Where should I start!????”

Commodore Perry Inn and Suites
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I realize this hotel has a "laid back" beach-y feel to it, but that does not excuse the desk staff from looking like they slept ON THE BEACH. My family and I stayed there while my husband was shooting at Camp Perry. Our room was a "Jacuzzi Suite" with one King sized bed. We requested a roll away for our 2 small boys. We ended up putting the mattress on the floor for them to sleep on. The room smelled of cigarette smoke and my husband opened the AC unit to check the filter...which was FILTHY! The staff washed it and returned it, but that did not cure the smell. The tiles in front of the jacuzzi were cracked and missing pieces so where it connected with the carpet there was a carpet tack (VERY SHARP) sticking up from the floor. The sheet on the bed was too small and night after night would come off. I requested a new set of sheets, but the same thing happened. The next problem was the pool. For 3 dollars anyone can walk off the street and swim. This isn't a big problem, but when the pool door and the outside door don't lock, at any given time there are between 8 and 15 teenagers without supervision who didn't pay the money to swim, running and jumping into the pool with total disregard for anyone already in the pool. Not only this, but on 2 separate occasions, I witnessed a front desk employee bringing her 2 children, they looked to be about 6 and 9, into the pool then walking around outside to go in to the front desk area as if to "fool someone" into thinking she didn't bring her kids to work with her. Unsupervised children in the pool! From Wed until Friday, there were wet "abandonded" tee shirts and socks in the corners of the pool area and melted candy under several of the lounge chairs. My son could also not see under water even with goggles on...leading me to believe the pool was not clean nor were the chemicals correct. By Friday, the water level in the pool was so low that there was no water covering the first step in the shallow end. There are also no towels available so you have to bring your own from your room...leaving you short on towels for the next day. If you call the housekeeping staff, they will bring you 3 more. WHOPPIE!! The best thing I can say about this hotel is Mr. Ed's has great food and the staff THERE is GREAT!!!
All in all, the hotel is smelly and dirty and I would not go back or reccommend it to anyone I like!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank VirginiaHisWife

Reviewed March 12, 2008

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with the service at the Commodore Perry Inn and Suites on the evening of Saturday, August 18, 2007. I have three incidents, described below, that hopefully will convince you to never give them your business:

First, I arrived at the hotel approximately 1:30pm at which time I was informed check-in was at 3 pm. I asked if the rooms could be ready earlier. The receptionist, Ashley, informed me they would be ready at 2:30 pm. The rooms were not ready by 2:30 pm and I witnessed another group receive their rooms, when they had clearly arrived after me. Naturally, there were rooms prepared; the staff chose to not serve me, even at my original- polite request.

Second, and most importantly, at the time of check-in, I requested 3 roll away beds. Ashley, the employee at the time, informed me they would be delivered to our rooms by 6 pm, along with the bedding necessary for the pull-out couch in the suite. When we arrived to our hotel room around 2 am August 19, 2007, I was dismayed to discover no bedding and not a single, promised roll-away bed were in the room. I immediately went to the front desk, where the receptionist, Troy informed me not only did he have no idea about the lack of beds and bedding, he said there were no more beds available and they only had a few sheets left.

While I was expressing my frustration, a different member of the staff overheard. She claimed one roll-away bed, an unsupported mattress, and supplemental bedding existed. This left me to conclude Troy, did not even check to see what was available. More so it left the impression the staff does not care to serve the customers who are charged exorbitant fees for hotel rooms and this hotel clearly takes no pride in customer satisfaction. To top this entire fiasco, when I spoke to Ashley the following morning to question why beds were not delivered when I made the request to her, she did not have a sufficient answer, nor had she even charged me for beds. This means, no documentation existed that I had even made this request. At any given moment I had to interact with the staff, they were unaware how the hotel operated or how to serve customers.

Finally, I followed up this incident by submitting an online complaint at their website. I never heard from the business even after I wrote again to inquire why I had not. I then called the manager, Debbie Mills, on Monday, September 10, 2007. Debbie handled this call by curtly saying the hotel would not do anything, she didn't know why there was a problem with the roll-away beds and refused to give me the name and number of the hotel owner. After my expressed disbelief, she hung up on me.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank KB419
Reviewed October 28, 2007

We booked the master suite. When we arrived in the room we were in a shock. It was just one big open room. It had a heavy cigarette smoke smell. There was mold in the windows, the air conditioning unit was squeaking and we could not stop that, even with the thing turned off. The staff though, was very courteous and friendly. They only charged us the 25 dollar cancellation fee.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank eurob
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Hotel was find, average. Clean enough. The only thing I would recommend is that if you want to sleep, ask to be on the opposite side of the hotel from Mr. Ed's. As with any bar, the Band/DJ play until 2:30 a.m. and unless you are down there...it's not fun!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank kflen22
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Stayed on July 13th for a next day fishing charter. You are not paying for anything other than location. The rooms are small but adequate. As for cleanliness, just don't look too closely. A band plays on the weekends...if you want sleep you probably won't get it. Apparantly this time of year is a big "college party". Thank god the bars actually close! Jerome at the front desk and the security guy (sorry I didn't get your name-thanks for the extra pillow though) were GREAT! The indoor pool was pretty nice. They have a Continental Breakfast-it was suffient. We paid $179 for a standard room--I'm glad we weren't planning on staying another night.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank ChampMickeyLasVegas
Reviewed July 3, 2007

My mother,father,boyfriend and I stayed for just one night in the commodore perry inn to go on a fishing charter and also put in bay. We got the last room for the night of June 29th,and it was the Master Suite. It didn't feel like a master suite, it was simply a big, wide open room, and the room didn't have a jacuzzi like we thought it would. There were 2 double beds and a couch, 2 rocker chairs and a window that faced the lake. The view was excellent, although the may flies were absolutely terrible. (as to be expected) There was a small table for four, and a refridgerator on the floor with a microwave on top of it. The best part of the whole room was the bathroom, because it along with the shower was seperate from the mirror and sink area. This way someone can get a shower and another person can use the sink/mirror area. There was plenty of space, and the beds were comfortable. The worst part was that this room was a smoking room, which we didn't know before reserving and wasn't a pleasant smell to wake up to. The Commodore Perry Inn was sufficient ; we paid 200.00 for the master suite. Try this hotel: the regular rooms are sure to be very nice and are non smoking.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank lyndseep
Reviewed February 3, 2007

we stay at this hotel for a weekend, every year for an event. I loved place, not having to leave for the whole weekend is really nice. However this last time was somewhat disappointing. The hotel now opens it's indoor pool to the general pubic, and lots of people bring thier kids. The group of people who were there for the event are all adults and we rented at least 90% if not more of, the whole hotel. We certianly didn't expect not to be able to use the pool ! The second and major problem was, Ohio law does NOT allow smoking in the bar/dining area, but they do not enforce the law. They actually encourge it ! The change to non smoking at this venue was the major reason a lot of us made the trip. I probably will not go again.

• Stayed: January 2007