“Style, yes. Substance, no.”
Review of Ciao Bella

Ciao Bella
Ranked #1 of 76 Restaurants in Port Clinton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Port Clinton, Ohio, United States
“Style, yes. Substance, no.”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is a very pretty place to eat and its amazing no other facilities have taken advantage of the somewhat scenic "semi-abandoned outlet mall with a moat" location. The interior is furnished well. Perhaps if you just order wine, especially by the bottle or in mass quantities you may not notice how bland and middling the food is. The service was decent on a busy night but the server never explained what the specials were. (We learned by eavesdropping on the next table) You can't beat the atmosphere but the food isnt particularly tasty and falls somewhere between the Olive Garden and Fazzolis. Largely disappointing, but tourists looking for something different will keep it going.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Chris M

Huron, Ohio
“Valentines day Valentine from Ciao!”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Exceptional. Slye on the $65 per couple meal! Delicious bone in rib eye, wonderful salad, dessert that was to die for , dessert wine and a great, great server! Well paced for a busy night, great music, fireplace roaring! Need I say any more and oh, I am Italian!

• Visited February 2014
pittsburgh
“Friendly staff - great deal on Tuesdays”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Visited Ciao Bella a couple times on a 2 week business trip. Tuesdays they offer a great value - salad and tasting of multiple pasta dishes - I think I tried 7 different ones and the price was $14.99

Visited February 2014
Port Clinton, Ohio
“Just okay”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We have eaten here twice - once right after they opened and again on New Years Eve. The first time was pretty good, service was very good and the food was okay. My husband's family are Italians and I will say the red sauces they use in their dishes doesn't compare to authentic sauces I've had from him and his family. If they are house made sauces, they could certainly use more flavor. It just tasted like tomatoes to us. When we went there on NYE, it was subpar from the minute we walked in the door. First of all we had called and made a reservation 2 days beforehand and were told they didn't have us written down. We showed them proof of when we called and our reservation number and they still claimed they didn't have our information. Instead of offering even something as small as an apology by the host staff, we were given a table in the bar area instead. Okay, fair enough. Except we waited over 20 minutes for a waiter to come and take our drink order. Then another 25 minutes to get our drinks. The food was okay again, nothing hugely impressive but it wasn't terrible. Again, the red sauce could have used more flavor. We did have the cannoli for dessert which was very good. Probably the best part of our whole experience that night. All in all, it's an average Italian restaurant. Not great but not the worst we've ever been to. However, after the reservation fiasco and the lack of customer service from the host staff to do anything to make up for it (or even acknowledge our frustration about it) we will not be returning. We will give our money to other local businesses who have better customer service.

• Visited December 2013
Barbara A, Owner at Ciao Bella, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Let me start off by saying we are terribly sorry about your experience at Ciao Bella on New Years Eve. You are absolutely correct, you did not receive the outstanding customer service that we have put in place at our restaurant. It most certainly is not the norm and not the way our staff has been trained. We will absolutely take care of the issue to assure it doesn't happen again. I know we cannot change the past, but we certainly would like to do whatever we can to earn your business back. I will send you a personal message with my contact information. If you would, please call me at your convenience so I can take care of everything personally. Again, we apologize for your experience and we look forward to making it right! Barb Ayers, Owner
Sandusky, Ohio
“Great place! I can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Nice wine selection, excellent atmosphere, very good food, large portions, servers that know what they are doing. We were here twice; once in October and and once in November. The risotto was delicious, if you like a well prepared risotto, order this! The shrimp and steak skewers were equally delicious, as was the Lasagna! Prices are similar to italian chain restaurants, but the food is so much better!!

• Visited October 2013

Been to Ciao Bella? Share your experiences!