“DISGUSTING, DIRTY, SMELLY”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Dayton, Ohio
“DISGUSTING, DIRTY, SMELLY”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This place was terrible and expensive. It was about $175/night, but should have been free! The first room had mold all over the bathroom's ceiling and smelled like a urinal deodorizer. I tried to call the front desk to complain, but the room phone didn’t work. The room they moved us into didn’t have mold, but was in the “smoking side.” When I asked how people were able to smoke in hotels in Ohio, the lady had no idea so she had to get her manager. Her answer was that it was privately owned so they could allow it. If you are allowing people to smoke at your hotel, you probably should advise everyone. Also, I asked about WIFI. According to the genius at the front desk, they didn’t have it, luckily my laptop automatically connected so that I could complete some necessary tasks. If you are in the service industry you probably should know about hotel amenities and state laws.

Furthermore, the continental breakfast was a green banana, a muffin, and cheap coffee. Really? Be honest with your guests so that they can plan accordingly.

This place was absolutely awful - will never go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LizBrewer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 29, 2012

When my friend and I first booked this hotel, we got it at real cheap rate. We were planing on Christmas in July @ PIB, but we planned late so this is where we stayed. We had read all the negative reviews about this hotel. Two of our (friends) backed out because the hotel wasn't good enough, but it was my friends B-Day so we decided to go with this hotel anyway. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was small but very comfortable. The balcony could have been a little more clean, but it served its purpose for opening the door and getting some air. The bathroom was just a bathroom nothing spectacular and we had hot water for showing. We saw maybe two centipedes. No different than the ones at home in the basement. Hotel has no elevator so don't bring a lot of luggage or you will have gotten a good workout going up and down stairs. Continental breakfast is what it is donuts and coffee and that's at any hotel. All in all the weekend hotel stay wasn't bad. It was comfortable and yes If I can't stay on Put in Bay Island, I will definitely come back here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
West Union, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had a wonderful time at this hotel. Our room was very clean, the employees are friendly .Annette Is a wonderful Manager there and gave us a great rate. The view of the lake was awesome. We plan on coming back here next year. We just wish It hadn't ended so soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Centerville, Ohio
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. My room had a foul odor and the furniture was worn. There was a bug crawling on the bathroom floor which looked like a scorpion. I had concerns about walking on the carpet in my room because there were filthy stains on the carpet. This hotel averaged about $75 a night and was not worth the cost.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 50183meddy

Travelers are raving about these Port Clinton hotels

Millersport, Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2012

On our first trip to the islands we stayed at this hotel. From the time we walked into the door we felt very welcome, Annette met us with a hello and a smile. She then found us the room we wanted at a very good price. She was so pleasant and friendly. Then in the evening Andy was working at the desk and he to was very friendly, he gave us some recommendations for dinner and did not lead us astray. The room was clean, spacious and bed was very comfortable. The staff were nice and helpful. We would ABSOLUTELY stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I spent the Friday of Memorial Day weekend here before our trip to Put In Bay. This is a one star hotel. For the price I paid I figured it would be. The staff are very friendly. The bed was comfortable. The towels were scratchy and I had to go to the front desk and ask for a hair dryer. The hotel is on the lake and has a beautiful view. I would stay here again, but only for one night. Did not try the breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jo-travel-alot
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed October 17, 2011

This motel is in a very convenient location in downtown Port Clinton, and even thought it sits on a small parcel of land it manages to have plenty of convenient parking for its guests. It looks very nice on the outside, and sits right next to the shore of Lake Erie with a good view of the lake from the backyard patio.

However, all is not good. A friend and I recently stayed there for two nights over a windy October weekend and found that this place has seen better days. The rooms are smallish and cramped, and maintenance is obviously lacking. For instance some of the doors leading out of the hallways to the outside lacked weatherstripping and latches (!) so that the wind constantly rattled them noisily against their frames. The first room we were given had a tub drain that was clogged, and the door had no weatherstripping and was so loose in its frame that it rattled as guests walked by in the hallway (plywood floors) and it let in a lot of light from the hallway. With great apologies, the very nice desk clerk gave us a different room. However, that room had a very strong musty, moldy odor. So we got a third room. The new room didn't have the moldy smell but had a too-strong odor of some sort of cleaner that took a while to get used too. The lack of maintenance showed here also; the control panel for the air conditioning unit was missing, and it was impossible to change the temperature setting without pliers. The in-room refrigerator had broken controls. The carpet was dirty.

I also did not like the extra charge tacked on for an in-room safe that neither of us needed to use.

My overall impression was that this motel is being operated in a way to make the most money from an obviously dwindling customer base (but the motel next door was full both nights we were there). Cutting out so much of the most basic maintenance is one of the best ways to accelerate a death spiral, and they are doing just that. A shame.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton
OurGuest Inn & Suites
OurGuest Inn & Suites
#6 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to Clinton Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!