“not as expected”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Marion, Iowa
“not as expected”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Room had a strange smell, had to request a clean shower curtain, we scrubbed the tub out ourselves, hideabed was horrible (but they usually are), housekeeping helped themselves to our loose change, pool had a film on top and no one was swimming in it. After we came back from first day out and about, the a/c unit had been replaced without a note from maintenance. Ceiling had water damage and the door was in process of being painted. Other than that, the lobby was nice, the breakfast was fairly good. The room itself was just ok but with 4 people and only 2 towels had to ask for more every day. So much for no smoking when guests are allowed to stand at front entrance and smoke. Flower pot was used for ashtray and constant smokers at door.

Room Tip: don't count on the hideabed for a comfortable 3rd bed for family with kids.
3 Thank B H
KimBGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Port Clinton, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Greetings B H,

Thank you for taking the time to notify us of the problems you incurred during your recent visit. I am so sorry that your room had a strange smell. I would personally like to discuss this with you when you can spare a moment so I can find out some additional information. It saddens me to know that we did not exceed your expectations. Once again thank you for the review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kim Bartish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Rosedale, Maryland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Very clean hotel. Right on the water with a very relaxed atmosphere. Our flight was delayed and we called ahead to let them know. They said they would put us down for a let check in. arrived around 11:30pm and they were waiting for us. Great breakfast, nice pool. The computer was easy to use and could print boarding passes. Will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Stayed on 2nd floor standard room near elevator. Was quiet and had water view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bridget B
Hello Bridget B,

Sorry your flight was delayed, we were happy we could assist you with your request of a late arrival. We appreciated you giving us notification of your travel arrangements as it helps us to be informed. We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you on your next visit.

Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted to go out of town somewhere and just relax and play it by ear whatever we did. Staying at this hotel was the best choice we made the whole trip. The holiday inn is in a great location, right across the street from cheese haven which you have to try!! Right down the street from the african safari wildlife park tour which was great too and not too far from the jet express to go to put in bay or kelleys island which is always an awesome time. Holiday inn has a great and secure wi fi service, a shuttle service that will take you and pick you up where ever you go, they gave us coupons for the jet express, great customer service, good breakfast every morning you are there, nice outside patio to sit and relax at, nice indoor pool with hot tub and the rooms....this king size bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in at a hotel. The room is a great size, i believe the walls may be sound proof because we did not hear anything, great shower and usually I am weird when room service comes around because I am nervous about who to let in your room, but here they were in and out cleaned everything great and did not touch anything of our stuff at all which I truly appreciated. It is the small things I look at when we stay places, but I cant stay enough good about this hotel. We will for sure be staying here again and with out a doubt I know we will have the same great service. I highly recommend it to everyone. This hotel truly made our visit great, fun and relaxing.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 110 bottom floor close to the entrance, had air conditioning, can not compare to o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Samanthan n
Hello Samanthan n,

Your review about our Holiday Inn Express and Suites is refreshing to read. We take great pride in our establishment and it brightens our day to read that guests' are noticing our hard work and efforts. We have a highly trained and skilled housekeeping department who do a tremendous job and like you we appreciate their attention to detail, friendliness, and trust worthiness.

This area has a lot to offer any traveler who just wants to be spontaneous and just get away for the weekend. We are so happy you took advantage of our wonderful shuttle down to the Jet Express, it was our pleasure to make sure you safely reached your destination to and from the Jet Express. We hope to be able to exceed your expectations again on your next visit.

Carmel, Indiana, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Spent 5 days at this hotel while visiting neighboring attractions and Cedar Point. Staff was very responsive to any request and hotel was surprisingly good considering some of the negative reviews. Was a bit leery given my better half's issues with the cleanliness of hotel rooms but was pleasantly surprised. Appears to have brand new carpet, painting crews touching up everything, lobby is very welcoming, great room for breakfast very nice as well as breakfast buffet. Possible reason for some of the "cleanliness" reviews is the hotel is literally right on a Lake Erie inlet. Great for bird watching but not so great for bugs. No bugs inside the hotel but felt like Jurassic Park looking out our hotel window overlooking the inlet every night. Our stay was also during May Fly season (2 weeks / 2 times per year) so these buzzard-sized flies we're on the exterior of the hotel, on cars, etc... Despite the seasonal surge, the hotel maintenance worked overtime to keep the facilities clean and comfortable. As for the room itself, it was very clean, nice-sized mini-fridge in room, housekeepers were excellent, rooms were nice sized, but beds could be upgraded. Bathroom a little tight but for Holiday Inn Express, competitive rate, and 5 days with 3 boys (3,10,12), it worked.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of hotel face the inlet - great scenery!
Greetings Mike W,

Thank you, very much, for the overwhelmingly positive review of your recent stay with us. I am glad you found the location to be convenient to all that our area has to offer. I am also really happy to see that you appreciated all of our hard work on renovations and in improving an already-award-winning property!

You are right--we spend a great deal of time, money, and effort dealing with the May Flies, June Bugs, and Canadian Soldiers. However, these harmless flying creatures are, at best, harmless and, at worst, an annoyance. This issue however, as I am sure you are aware, is one that the entirety of the north coast of Ohio has to deal with. These annoying flying creatures, for better or worse, are indigenous to the entire area. As you fairly mention, however, we try our best to keep them outside and out of our guests' way as much as possible.

Again, thank you for staying with us and for reporting such a positive experience--and for reporting great interaction with our hard-working and friendly staff. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Pataskala, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I chose the hotel because it was between events I was participating in. Given all the hotels in the area and Cedar Point is not far, I would have hoped for better rate than $2xx per night. I got the Jacuzzi because I was doing long bike rides; but the on button was broken though once I found it did work, the tub was also gritty like sand or powder cleaner. The bathroom had a build up of soap so think, you could pop off huge chunks of soap. The light in the bathroom also blinked like in a bad horror flick; or they wanted to trigger someone's epilepsy; this was one thing I mentioned and the front desk said they would fix - 6 hours later it was still broken. The curtain in the room did not close all the way, you were left with only being able to close the heavy light blocking curtain which was not enough to keep out street lights. In all, I guess I got hornswaggled for paying this price thinking I was getting glitz. I would not pay more than $125 for this room and that is with the Jacuzzi. Pool was pretty small and a family of 4 kids always seemed to be in there making a small pool seem tiny. Plenty of vending machines and wash room, breakfast was hot and on time.

Room Tip: One night I heard loud running water, not sure if the floor above me was also a Jacuzzi or not, I fe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Scottie L
KimBGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Port Clinton, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hello Scottie L,

I am so disappointed to read your review and that we were not able to exceed your expectations. I would like to apologized for the issues you had during your recent visit. We greatly appreciate you being honest and letting us know what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong; this helps us improve our product, service, and cleanliness. Once again thank you.

North Ridgeville, Ohio
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent a last minute overnight up on Marblehead and the not only had the very best rate but service was great, all staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The entire facility was very clean and well kept. As is expected on Saturday morning the complimentary breakfast was a little chaotic - except for me as I wasnt going after the eggs and pancake maker. The 2 double beds were a bit hard but the amenities were great and the room was clean - kids had a blast and for us at the location is perfect.

Greetings John 50778,

We are honored to read your review about your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to give us valued feedback about the amenities, service, and cleanliness. We as a team take great pride in all of these areas of the hotel and it is so gratifying to read that our efforts are recognized. Thank you for choosing our Holiday Inn Express and Suites; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We arrived in Port Clinton Monday, June 17th for a 4 day, 3 night family vacation to the area. Upon arriving at the hotel we booked a few miles away, we found the outdoor pool to be closed for an indeterminate amount of time. This was a show stopper right there, as we were travelling with 11, 12 and 15 year old kids. We immediately cancelled the following two nights and stayed there only long enough to get 8 hours sleep and find find HIE&S.
We checked into HIE&S the next afternoon after seeing the sights in the area and were very pleased. Booking at the last minute meant that they were out of double queens and we had to step up to the efficiency. No one minded, as a pull out sofa was better than a rollaway for one of the kids.
The faux marble in the room entry ways was pretty, but very slippery when coming out of the bathroom. The bathroom was really the only fault I could find with the hotel. It was unbearable tiny. Were the door to have opened outward into the room, that would have helped alot. The door went to within 1/4" of the faux marble and caught the towel on the floor outside the tub every time it was opened.
Everything else is completely positive. They are in the process of renovating and the staff and contractors go out of their way to stay out of the guests' way. We hit at the worst of the Mayfly season and there was a staffmember outside vacuuming up the bugs everytime I turned around. The breakfast was amazing for a complementary breakfast and I even watched ther young lady replenishing it spend quite a bit of time checking the pancake batter container to reassure a guest that her son needn't worry about a peanut allergy. This is just the type of thing that sticks out in your memory about a place.
The pool was great for the kids. The whirlpool was out of service, but that wasn't a worry for us. McDonald's and Pizza Hut within walking distance and a half dozen places deliver. My pickiest daughter got her food made by Mom in the kitchenette.
Great staff, great facility. We will be back.

Room Tip: Choose an odd numbered room so your window faces the bay and not the McDonalds parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Brad P for the time out of your busy schedule to write a review about our Holiday Inn Express and Suites. It is guests like you who help other travelers make a informed decisions about where to stay while visiting Port Clinton, Ohio. It was our pleasure to have you and your family with us. We are so proud of our renovations; it is so amazing to see the transformation from beginning to end. We still have a couple of items left to do and we do our very best to stay out of our guests way. The mayfly season is not our favorite season but it is a part of nature and we do our very best to help relieve any stress it might cause our guests. Our breakfast bar hostesses are great thank you for recognizing this. We are so proud we could exceed your expectations. We hope you will continue to choose us as the place to stay while visiting Port Clinton.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Clinton
#4 of 17 in Port Clinton
Bay Lodging Resort
Bay Lodging Resort
#1 of 7 in Put in Bay

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Port Clinton? Share your experiences!