“Cozy Comfort in a Small Town”

The Island House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at the Island House on a trip from Cleveland to Detroit in early January (2014). The hotel is very nice and the staff (actually just one person) was exceptionally friendly. The rooms were well appointed and warm (it was 8 degrees) and the hotel was quiet (although we may have been the only ones in the hotel that evening). The restaurant adjacent to the hotel had excellent food (first time I had eaten "walleye") and the adjacent bar kept up entertained into the evening. Not much happening in the town this time of year but would consider visiting again in the summer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Peggy S, General Manager at The Island House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and your first experience of eating walleye. Please do come visit us again.

Peggy Slauterbeck

Reviewed December 28, 2013

From the moments we arrived we were treated like the most important guest there. The staff was so accommodating and thoughtful. Rosie's bar was inviting as well as The 1812 Restaurant. The Bed was awesome, King size with the most comfortable mattress. I was comfy the whole time. The Concierge was very informative directing us to all the sites we wanted to see. Giving us recommendations for restaurants and telling us the local history. I will be back . I can't wait!

Room Tip: The King Suite. Roomy, comfy, and the view Beautiful. The front corner of the building.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Theresa H
Reviewed December 27, 2013

the island house was a little more than i expected, very nice place but formost was the quality of personnel that was very friendly, helpful and went out of their way for us and made us feel more like old friends, we were very pleased. room was clean and comfortable with very controllable heat and air , I plan on spending more time at this establishment.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tommysayers
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed overnight at the Island House, and we both had a great experience! As a guest, the staff made me feel like I was very valued customer. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The hotel also ranks high on historic charm. We are looking forward to coming back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dan s
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect from this hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very friendly. The historic feel of the hotel was quite impressive. The attached restaurant (1812) had great food and fresh, local seafood. The hotel is right across the street from the water, so a quick walk even with it being 26f outside, was enjoyable. The rooms were very spacious, up to date flat screens, refrigerator and microwave. The things I took exception to were the fact that you had to run the hot water for about 3 minutes in the morning for it to get warm, and the continental breakfast was a bit lacking...but it was free so I can't complain. Overall a very nice hotel and I would definitely stay here vs a local chain hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jesse M
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Thanks so much to the staff of the Island House for making our stay great! This is a great place and was a very enjoyable overnight. Bed was great as was the room. Front desk was very helpful in suggesting restaurants as well. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank julieb312
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I loved my stay at The Island House, the reviews are right. I normally stay in Sandusky at The Breakers when I visit Cedar Point, but rates during Halloween are outrageous. $230 a night? So I started looking around and found this GEM on TripAdvisor. I got a queen room for AAA rate of $81, unfortunately it was 46 degrees and raining when I arrived so I did not go to the park but I did go straight to the hotel, which let me check in early. Sarah at the front desk was a wealth of information about the history of the hotel and surrounding area. Thank you much! The room was just right, small, quaint, warm, kozy. From what I could tell the restaurant on site was packed, I will definitely make time to eat there next time I visit. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: No real tips, I just asked for a room on the top floor. I hate people walking on my head when I'...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo