“Conveniently Located by Jet Exress”

The Island House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I like this hotel because it's right next to the Jet Express and I can stay close to Put In Bay when there are no vacancies on the island.
The hotel is a little old but it's clean and the service is pretty good. Next time my husband and I can't find a place to stay on the island we will definitely come back to the Island House Hotel.

Room Tip: If you are going to the island, you can park your car at the hotel and walk to the Jet Express. This...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Recently we spent one night at the Island House. My main reason for booking this hotel was because they don't charge for cancellations. We planned on traveling by ferry to Put-in-Bay for the Oktoberfest the next day.It's a short walk to the ferry. Parking is free at the hotel. Majority of B & B or hotels at Put-in-Bay require a 2 night stay with cancellation penalties.

This being said, the Island House is a beautiful Historic hotel. Two couples checked in early and our rooms were ready. Originally, we were told we would have 2 rooms with an adjoining door. Upon check in, our rooms weren't adjoined. I'm not sure why but it was ok. Our room was facing the street. The rooms are well appointed. It had two queen beds/flat screen tv, coffee maker, refrigerator. Free wifi but we didn't take our computer.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar. We did have a lovely dinner in the restaurant. I had crab cakes and an 1821 salad. My husband had lightly breaded perch. Both were delicious.

We didn't realize until bedtime that our room was over the bar. There was entertainment in the bar until 11:00pm. It seemed to be light jazz so it was ok but I'm glad they quit at 11:00p. Had I know though that our room was over the bar I would have requested another room upon check-in.

We enjoyed a continental breakfast in the morning. Bagels, cereal, pastries, coffee, tea and o.j.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, make sure your room is not over the bar.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel was exactly what I was looking for! It was a great place from the moment we walked in the door! I would definately return!!! So close to everything including the ferry. Thank You Island House for making our weekend perfect!

Room Tip: A la Carte is a wonderful place for breakfast and take the ferry!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ja26yne
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I prefer to stay in older hotels/inns. The Island House was perfect. The staff was so very friendly and accomodating. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. I was with a group (late 70+ in age) associated with Otterbein College/ University. The men were Country Club fraternity members and wives. It was a perfect place to relax, remember past experiences and friendships. It was very convenient to the Ferry, shops and for making day trips. It was easy to locate for all who traveled from out of state or who had not been to Port Clinton. The evening banquet that was served to us was superb. It was excelent dinning at a very,very reasonable price. The wait staff was excellent. I want to say again, how friendlyand accomodating the staff was. I was traveling alone and felt very comfortable. If I were younger
I would go back with my spouse for a relaxing stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Caroline F
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have a group of about 30 seniors who reunite annually. It was our 17th get together and we chose Port Clinton. After searching many chains, we accidentally ran across the Island House Hotel. The rather small history laden facility has successfully captured the ambiance of yesteryear with 21st Century aggressiveness. The furnishings were delightful reflecting their interesting touch of history. The hotel is convenient to so very much. The rooms were clean, the beds were quite comfortable, and the staff was charming to the person and quite accommodating, going above and beyond to make our stay a happy one. The dining room was charming and the food was exceptional and the staff, again, quite pleasant. Although we tend, as a group, to seek new sites, my wife and I look forward to returning for another exceptional experience.

Room Tip: Escape the ordinary
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jerry N
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The first time we walked into the lobby of the Island House Hotel, we were trying to find out what time the restaurant opened for lunch. At the time, we were having a miserable experience staying at the Beachfront Resort, and wanted somewhere nice (and clean) to enjoy a meal. We were immediately impressed by the obvious pride, love, and care that had gone into restoring and preserving this beautiful historic building. At the front desk, we met Kathy, the general manager, who was only too happy to answer our questions about the building in general and the current operation. She asked if we'd like to see some of the guest rooms while we waited for the restaurant to open for lunch, and arranged for us to meet the housekeeper upstairs. We loved everything we saw, and so enjoyed listening to our tour guide talk about a place she clearly loved caring for.
Following our tour, we had lunch at the hotel's 1812 Restaurant, which was another fabulous experience. The service, food and atmosphere were simply wonderful. At this point, the Island House Hotel was starting to feel like home. By the next morning, our situation at the Beachfront Resort had become impossible and we found ourselves back in the lobby of the Island House, booking a room for the remainder of our stay ( which ended up costing less than the Beachfront). We enjoyed everything about the next two days: the comfortable clean bed, the newly-renovated bathroom, the view of the lake from our room, the attentive and available staff. We even smiled as we rode the "vintage" elevator s-l-o-w-l-y up to our room. During our stay, we had dinner at the restaurant - another delicious meal served with excellence - and were astonished to discover that it had only been open for three weeks. We had assumed it was a landmark destination for anyone in the area who wanted a special dining-out experience. That is a testimony to the chef and the wait staff, who made it seem as though they had been part of this hotel's landscape for years, not weeks. As has been mentioned in other reviews, the location of the hotel is another plus. It is easy walking distance to the Jet Express, the waterfront, and the public beach area and park. The Island House will always be our first choice when planning a trip to the lake. In the interest of full disclosure, here are the only negatives we noticed: the need for a hook on the bathroom door, the absence of a bedside table or lamp in our room (not the case in every room), and the need for draperies to block out the night-time street lights and the daylight that the wooden blinds let it. Having said that, we are still looking forward to the next opportunity to enjoy all that the Island House has to offer.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are small, but there are many options. If the view is a factor, book over the pho...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I visited the Island House Hotel over Labor Day weekend, and overall, I found it to be a quite charming place to stay. The hotel interior has been kept up very, very nicely - so don't allow the exterior to scare you, as it does date the building a bit. I feel like my room could have been a touch cleaner, but I would still stay there again; it was definitely not enough to cause me to lose sleep or deter me from staying. Three of us shared a two-bedroom, which was large enough; my parents were in a one-bedroom, however, and they hardly had room to turn around or do much of anything - quite small! The staff was pleasant, although one could have been a bit more knowledgeable about his surroundings. (I find it hard to believe that we have been the only ones to ever stumble in at midnight and try to locate a nearby place that is still taking food orders.) All in all, though, I would still recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want space, spend the extra money and get a two-bedroom, even if there are only one or two of...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 17 in Port Clinton
Best Western Port Clinton
Best Western Port Clinton
#4 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to The Island House Hotel? Share your experiences!