“Not very close to Cedar Point”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Orlando, Florida
“Not very close to Cedar Point”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel is a 30 minute drive to Cedar Point, which we were going to on two days. It seemed like a longer drive due to several detours off the main highway. The hotel served a free breakfast in the morning, which was actually pretty good. The room seemed clean, until my phone fell down between the bed and nightstand, and I found a bunch of old Froot Loops cereal. The bathroom was small and the door did not close all the way. Also, the lid to the toilet seat did not fit properly, so you could see down in the tank on top. These were very minor things, and were not really worth complaining about since we were only there for two nights. If you're visiting town to go to Cedar Point, I recommend staying at a Cedar Point hotel. There wasn't anything to do in Port Clinton at night, and it was hard to find places to eat. The two older ladies who work the breakfast in the morning are so sweet. In between refilling food trays and coffee, they made a point of talking to the guests and making you feel welcome. It was a nice added touch and they should be thanked.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AUDRIANNA_ASH, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Travelgirl L,
Thank you for your honest review of our hotel, Country Inn and Suites Port Clinton. I am glad you enjoyed the free breakfast, our two ladies, Sandy and Carol are awesome! I am sorry it took you a while to get to Cedar Point, due to the detour situation you had, it usually only takes around 15-20 minutes to get to the park. I apologize for the debris you found in your room, I will be sure to go over your review with the staff, so we can make sure that the areas between the furniture get a little more attention. I do hope that you will stay with us again.

Angela Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
LaGrange, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

When walking in I noticed that a front desk staff member was bent over the counter resting her elbows on the counter like she was bored. The second thing was that both girls behind the counter were not in uniforms. Just in regular street clothes, nothing bad but just unprofessional however both girls were extremely nice. The bathrooms were huge! The bed was great loved the bedding and slept wonderful. The pool and breakfast were great. If in the area again yes I would stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed at the end of the hall on first floor and could hear no noise from above so I don't th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jacqueline S,
Thank you so much for your great review of our property! I am glad you liked the beds, alot of our guests really get a great nights' sleep here. I do hope you were not put off by some of the front desk being out of uniform, it seems like it took forever to get them in this year. Glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the pool, I hope to see you again next year.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are clean and modern, the hotel is easy to access from the highway, the staff is friendly and helpful, the rates are good and the facilities are excellent. Highly reccomend. The pool and work out room are nicer then most country inns I have seen.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sag45877
Dear Sag45877,
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and you brought up most of the other reviewers sentiments,our rooms that are clean, our great rates, and a fantastic pool area. I hope that you got to enjoy our complimentary full breakfast before you headed out for the day, it is awesome! We hope to see you again during your next visit to the area.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

If your thinking of a trip to Cedar Point and looking for a clean and comfortable hotel then I recommend a stay at Country Inn & Suites. Not a lot of frills, but clan rooms and comfortable beds will help you be prepared to take on the rides and walking in a better fashion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank General20
Dear General20,
Thank you for your review of your stay with us here at Country Inn and Suites Port Clinton. We hope you had a fantastic time at Cedar Point! I hope that we will see you again for your next Port Clinton/Sandusky outing.

Warren, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Let me say this was more than I could have hoped for... Shantel, who greeted my girlfriend at the desk was awesome. she helped make the days leading to the proposal outstanding. She made sure we had champagne on ice and went to the florist and got the most beautiful roses I or my now fiancee have ever seen.

The breakfast were good and the overall stay was great. We would stay here again when in Port Clinton and that is the bottom line isn't it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AUDRIANNA_ASH, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Don P.,
Thank you so much for your review from your recent stay!
Shantel did do a great job with the roses and the champagne. The flowers were from Marys Blossom Shop in Port Clinton, and she always does a great job with the arrangements. the staff and myself (especially Shantel) were all excited to hear your girlfriends answer, and it made us so happy you both had a great stay.
Congratulations on your engagement, thank you for letting us share in your special occasion, and we hope you see you both again.

Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had 3 rooms at the Country Inn for 5 nights. The hotel was clean, updated and there was attention paid to the details making it feel warm and inviting. The rooms were nice. The pool area always had clean towels draped over the chairs no matter how busy. The workout room was a bit small but nicely cooled and had new, high quality equipment. The staff was just wonderful. All interactions were pleasant and helpful. There were 2 people who really put extra touches in our stay. The lady who cleaned the room would leave the kids' stuffed animals and blankets arranged in creative ways each day. The breakfast lady was also a real highlight. She was just a pleasure to talk to. I felt like we were on her home. I travel for work a lot and have lots of hotel experiences to compare to. This hotel was a gem and great value.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank holyschmit
AUDRIANNA_ASH, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear holyschmit,
I cannot thank you enough for the great review of your stay with us at Country Inn and Suites Port Clinton. It makes the staff and myself so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have not been able to pin down who the housekeeper was that arranged the kids blankets/stuffed animals yet, but when I do, I will certainly show her your review so that she knows it was appreciated. The entire staff at Country Inn and Suites think that it really is the little things that sometimes make the biggest difference. Sandy and Carol are our "stars" of the breakfast room, they are so friendly and efficient with so many people that they serve daily. They never cease to amaze me with their enthusiasim and energy! Again, I am glad that you got to spend some time with us, and really hope to see you again.

Springfield, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

As soon as my family and I walked in, we didn't hear ANY welcoming comments:( The manager (MATT) was his name, He made us (my family) feel NOT WELCOMED to stay there...He told me earlier, over the phone reservation, that I could pay the day I checked out! BUT, that changed...ALL OF A SUDDEN, he had ta call HIS manager, to make sure it was ok for me to pay when I checked out...Which made me VERY uncomfortable, as if, my family wasnt good enough to stay there...or he didnt trust that I would pay. To make ah long story short, MATT SHOULD BE FIRED!!!!! For making my family and I feel UNWELCOMED!!! We (family & I) did not stay@the Country Inn! The "Hampton Inn" was where we stayed...it was a lil bit more pricey but(Oh Well ah jus wanted my family HAPPY/Comfortable:) totally "Appreciated" the Customer Service, Rooms & Breakfast! MATT(front desk manager@Country Inn Suites) DISCRIMINATES!!!!:(:(:(:(

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Deborah E
AUDRIANNA_ASH, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Deborah E.,
I am apologetic that you did not feel welcomed upon arriving to our hotel, Country Inn and Suites Port Clinton. The problem that you have classified as "discrimination" by my Guest Services member Matt, is typical hotel protocol. If you do not have a valid credit card, ie, a credit card that can be authorized for the entire stay, than the stay needs to be paid for in cash at arrival, not at departure. Matt contacted me to verify this procedure, and I, as General Manager advised Matt that due to the circumstances, we could not process the check in without payment. I strongly disagree with this review regarding discrimination when every guest that checks into the Hotel is treated the same way in regards to payment for the room.

Country Inn and Suites, Port Clinton
#5 of 17 in Port Clinton
South Beach Resort Hotel
South Beach Resort Hotel
#1 of 3 in Marblehead

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton? Share your experiences!