“Great experience”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Port Clinton
Iowa
“Great experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had 3 rooms at the Country Inn for 5 nights. The hotel was clean, updated and there was attention paid to the details making it feel warm and inviting. The rooms were nice. The pool area always had clean towels draped over the chairs no matter how busy. The workout room was a bit small but nicely cooled and had new, high quality equipment. The staff was just wonderful. All interactions were pleasant and helpful. There were 2 people who really put extra touches in our stay. The lady who cleaned the room would leave the kids' stuffed animals and blankets arranged in creative ways each day. The breakfast lady was also a real highlight. She was just a pleasure to talk to. I felt like we were on her home. I travel for work a lot and have lots of hotel experiences to compare to. This hotel was a gem and great value.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank holyschmit
AUDRIANNA_ASH, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear holyschmit,
I cannot thank you enough for the great review of your stay with us at Country Inn and Suites Port Clinton. It makes the staff and myself so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have not been able to pin down who the housekeeper was that arranged the kids blankets/stuffed animals yet, but when I do, I will certainly show her your review so that she knows it was appreciated. The entire staff at Country Inn and Suites think that it really is the little things that sometimes make the biggest difference. Sandy and Carol are our "stars" of the breakfast room, they are so friendly and efficient with so many people that they serve daily. They never cease to amaze me with their enthusiasim and energy! Again, I am glad that you got to spend some time with us, and really hope to see you again.

Angela Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed July 3, 2013

As soon as my family and I walked in, we didn't hear ANY welcoming comments:( The manager (MATT) was his name, He made us (my family) feel NOT WELCOMED to stay there...He told me earlier, over the phone reservation, that I could pay the day I checked out! BUT, that changed...ALL OF A SUDDEN, he had ta call HIS manager, to make sure it was ok for me to pay when I checked out...Which made me VERY uncomfortable, as if, my family wasnt good enough to stay there...or he didnt trust that I would pay. To make ah long story short, MATT SHOULD BE FIRED!!!!! For making my family and I feel UNWELCOMED!!! We (family & I) did not stay@the Country Inn! The "Hampton Inn" was where we stayed...it was a lil bit more pricey but(Oh Well ah jus wanted my family HAPPY/Comfortable:) totally "Appreciated" the Customer Service, Rooms & Breakfast! MATT(front desk manager@Country Inn Suites) DISCRIMINATES!!!!:(:(:(:(

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Deborah E
AUDRIANNA_ASH, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Deborah E.,
I am apologetic that you did not feel welcomed upon arriving to our hotel, Country Inn and Suites Port Clinton. The problem that you have classified as "discrimination" by my Guest Services member Matt, is typical hotel protocol. If you do not have a valid credit card, ie, a credit card that can be authorized for the entire stay, than the stay needs to be paid for in cash at arrival, not at departure. Matt contacted me to verify this procedure, and I, as General Manager advised Matt that due to the circumstances, we could not process the check in without payment. I strongly disagree with this review regarding discrimination when every guest that checks into the Hotel is treated the same way in regards to payment for the room.

Country Inn and Suites, Port Clinton
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've stayed here for a decade or more as I go to the area for business every year. It used to be a Fairfield but went Country Inn a couple of years ago. The first year I didn't notice any difference, but this year the deferred maintenance is showing a bit. Nothing horrendous or that would stop you and your family from enjoying yourselves, but the writing is on the wall.

I was annoyed that my room didn't have a clock radio the first night but I was dead tired and didn't bother asking for one until morning. But when I got back that night, still no clock, had to go down to the front desk and wasn't given one without an apology.

If you're looking for a place to stop along Route 2 near Cedar Point there's no reason not to stop here, but there's also no reason it's any better than the other options you have.

This place has no elevator, so if you have trouble with stairs or you have lots of luggage, hope for one of the few first floor rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NorthCostGuy
Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed 2 nights in a jacuzzi suite. We got a good deal for booking wayyyy early. The room was clean and the bed was comfy. Unfortunately the pillows are strangely uncomfortable! Usually I can make any pillow work but these feel fluffy but then conform to your head and turn to cement. Not good!! The jacuzzi was fun! The breakfast was very good-different items both days. Staff very friendly. The kitchen ladies are very nice and friendly! Will stay again!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank 194Jennlo
Dear 194Jennlo,
Thank you for your good review of your stay with us at Country Inn and Suites Port Clinton. The staff and myself are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that your room was clean and the bed comfy, I apologize for the pillows, a few people have mentioned this to me recently, and we have some new pillows on order. Our breakfast ladies, Sandy and Carol will be pleased with your review, they love to get guest feedback on the breakfast program. I do hope that you will be back to stay with us again.

Bellevue, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Our stay was 90% enjoyable. We had great service on check in and out. We had to ask for the lights to be turned on in the pool area and half the lights did not work. The laundry area needs some work, the dryer was not vented properly and took a long time to dry the clothes. Breakfast was great, the room was quiet and clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AdamGBWI
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We arrived after driving through bad weather and traffic. We were hungry for dinner and the nice hotel staff recommended a great place right down the road. We had very nice, large room, decorated nicely. Until the morning trains, we found the room to be quite quiet and very comfortable.

We can't complain much at all except for that I hated the pillows. It's really hit or miss when it comes to road tripping and finding hotels with my kind a pillow. We had what might be the best breakfast experience not just because the food was good, plentiful, and hot...but the woman working was even nicer than my grandmother. She kept everybody happy, made time to chat, and the place spotless. We would recommend this place for sure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AdMackoske,
I would like to take a minute and thank you for your great review of your stay with us at Country Inn and Suites, Port Clinton. I would like to thank you for your kind words for the breakfast program and specifically for the kind words regarding the Breakfast Host Sandy. Being in our breakfast room most times, is like you are with family. We do hope to see you again the next time you are in Port Clinton.

Eaton, Ohio
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My room was a double queen. It had microwave, small fridge, desk, chair for reading and free wifi. The hotel outside was clean and neat. The room inside was also very clean, windowsills, ac/heat vents, bathroom and bedding. Guy at the desk was very pleasant and helpful. Offered to answer any questions that might come up later. I did not use the pool, but it appeared clean. Only complaint is that the room had an overpowering smell of cleaner/freshener/disinfectant, whatever they might have used. Aired out the room upon entering it and then the rest of the stay was fine. I had no problems with noise and was even on the main floor as my mother could not climb the stairs (no elevator). Overall very nice hotel stay with clean, quiet room and pleasant personnel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travel4CEU
Dear travel4CEU,
My apologies for taking so long in responding to your fantastic review of your stay. Thank you for your great review, and I will be sure to pass along to our housekeepers your comments on the cleanliness of your room. We always love it when a guest enjoys their stay with us, and I do hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Clinton
#4 of 17 in Port Clinton
OurGuest Inn & Suites
OurGuest Inn & Suites
#6 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton? Share your experiences!